┌── Jacob Allen Hinshaw
┌── Enos H. Hinshaw ──┤
│ 1847-1923 │
│ └── Peninah Scott
Bessie Louisa Hinshaw ───┤
B: 1879 │ ┌── William Saxon/Saxton Brown
D: 1966 │ │
└── Mary Jane Brown ──┤
└── Harriet Ogden
M: Ezra M. Cole
M: Dota Avery J. Brown
Bessie Louisa Hinshaw [ID 10406]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Born Dec 4 18791,2,3 [Dec - 18784, Dec 4 18805], Indiana1,2,3.
She married Ezra M. Cole, Jun 17 1896, Blackford County, Indiana.1,6,7
Ralph M. Cole, born Sep - 1897, Indiana.
Bessie and son were shown in the 1900 census (Jun 7 1900), living with (or staying with) her parents in Hartford, Blackford County, Indiana:4
Cole, Bessie L., daughter, age 21, born Dec 1878 in Indiana; parents born in Indiana; married 2 years; 1 child, 1 living; occupation: housekeeper.
Cole, Ralph M., grandson, age 2, born Sept 1897 in Indiana; parents born in Indiana.
Bessie and Ezra apparently divorced or separated. Ezra died Sep 14 1914, Muncie, Delaware County, Indiana; age 39.8
She then married Dota Avery J. Brown.3,9,10 Dota, son of John W. + G. A. Brown, was born Jun 14 1873, Illinois.3,9,10,11,12
Dota had been previously married, c1898, to Althea B. Logan, who had a son (Dota's step-son), Henry Logan (born Sep 1889, Illinois).12 Bessie and Dota apparently met after Dota (and his brother Frederick) had moved from Illinois to Hartford, Indiana.13
Dota Claudius Brown, born Mar 3 1913, Indiana; died Oct 10 1996, Riverside County, California; buried Arlington National Cemetery; married 1) Lillian A. --, 2) Erika A. Mueller.
Bessie and Dota were shown in the 1910 census (Apr 16 1910), Spencer Township, DeKalb County, Illinois:10
Brown, Dota, head-of-household, age 36, born in Illinois; father born in Canada; mother born in New York; first marriage, married 12 [sic] years; occupation: minister, gospel.
Brown, Bessie, wife, age 30, born in Indiana; parents born in Indiana; first marriage [sic], married 12 [sic] years; 3 children, 3 living.
Senecal, James, boarder, age 2? [unclear], born in Illinois; father born in New York; mother born in Indiana; occupation: clerk, hardware.
On Sep 12 1918 Dota Avery J. Brown, age 45, registered for the World War I draft in Decatur, Adams County, Indiana. He declared he was born June 14 1873, and was then residing in Geneva, Adama County, Indiana, occupied as a Minister with the Methodist Episcopal Church in Geneva. He declared his nearest relative was Bessie Louisa Brown of Geneva. He was recorded as medium height, medium build, black eyes, black hair.9
Bessie and family were shown in the 1920 census (Jan 20 1920), Lake Township, Allen County, Indiana:3
Brown, Dota [or Doto - unclear] AJ, head-of-household, age 46, born in "Illinoise"; parents born in New York; rented home; occupation: clergyman, M.E. Church.
Brown, Bessie L., wife, age 40, born in Indiana; parents born in Indiana.
Brown, Claudious, son, age 6, born in Indiana; father born in "Illinoise"; mother born in Indiana; attended school.
Bessie Louisa Hinshaw died Aug 15 19665 [Aug 16 19661].
From 1929 to 1957 son Dota Claudius Brown was a professional magician using the stage name of "Mysterious Brown". Later (c1964+) he was the first real art teacher at Eagle Mountain High School (Eagle Mountain, California) and was beloved by his students. He was the author of "The Whole Ventchilada - How To Be A Ventriloquist" (1993) and "Tracing Grandpa`s Foot Steps: Exciting Life and Adventures of John Wells Brown, 1831 - 1908" (1990). During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy.16,18
Social Security information for Bessie Louisa Hinshaw: 571-72-2185
- Hinshaw family notes and photos from Jim Lieland ();
excerpted from "Hinshaw and Allied Families History" by Dota Claudius Brown
- 1880 census, Winchester, Randolph County, Indiana; roll T9-307, ED 167, page 143A, line #38, dwelling #233, family #234.
- 1920 census, Lake Township, Allen County, Indiana; roll T625-420, ED 12, page 4A, line #14, dwelling #78, family #78.
- 1900 census, Hartford, Licking Township, Blackford County, Indiana; roll T623-360, ED 25, page 9B, line #92, dwelling #209, family #213.
- "Social Security Death Index" (as it is commonly called), derived from
the Social Security Administration "Death Master File".
- Indiana Marriage Records Index 1845-1920; Ancestry.com; pg 33.
- Indiana Marriages, 1845-1920; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Indiana Deaths, 1882-1920; http://www.ancestry.com.
- World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918; http://www.ancestry.com.
- 1910 census, Spencer Township, DeKalb County, Illinois; roll T624-345, ED 83, page 1B, line #98, dwelling #32, family #32.
- 1880 census, Ottawa, LaSalle County, Illinois; roll T9-223, ED 83, page 588A, line #19, family #528.
- 1900 census, Hartford, Licking Township, Blackford County, Indiana; roll T623-360, ED 26, page 11B, line #94, dwelling #256, family #274.
- Contribution from Lynn Seto ().
- California Death Index, 1940-1997; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Eagle Mountain Family Trees (EMFT):
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, National Cemetery Administration, Nationwide Gravesite Locator:
- Contribution from Larry Litteral ().
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Sat Oct 22 14:15:52 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2018, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]