┌── Thomas Hinshaw
┌── Benjamin J. Hinshaw ──┤
│ 1795-1860 │
│ └── Lucy Clanton
Lucy Sabrina Hinshaw ───┤
B: 1825 │ ┌── Isaac Carter
D: 1879 │ │
└── Ruth Carter ──────────┤
└── Mary "Polly" Bray
M: William Jester
Lucy Sabrina Hinshaw [ID 01050]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Born Mar 4 1825, North Carolina.1,2,3,4
She married William Jester1,2 [William Jestes5,6], Jul 27 18491,2, Surry County, North Carolina1,2. William, son of John Jester & Rachel Adams, was born about 1825, North Carolina.3,7,8,9,10
A marriage bond was recorded for Lucy Sabrina Hinshaw & William Jestes [sic] on Jul 27 1849, Surry County, North Carolina.5
William had been previously married to Rachel Stoneman (c1825 - Apr 28 1848),3 by whom he had child:3
John M. Jester, born Feb 27 1846; died May 16 1921; married 1) Nancy Taylor, Nov 14 1867; 2) Julia A. Caudle, Dec 25 1870.
Children of Lucy Sabrina Hinshaw & William Jester:3,4,11,12
Robert/Ruel Franklin Jester, born Dec 10 1849 [1848/1850]; died Jan 9 1938, North Carolina; married Margaret Elizabeth Davis, Sep 26 1875.
William Petus "Pet" Jester, born 1853; married Elizabeth Matthews, Feb 27 1873.
Sabra/Sabre/Sabrey/Sabery/Sabrina Annis Jester, born Mar 14 1860; died Mar 11 1917, buried Mooreland, Indiana; married John Robert Davis, Mar 5 1876.
Thomas Jester, born about 1864.
Lucy and William and family were shown in the 1850 census, Surry County, North Carolina:17
William Jester Jr., age 25, born in North Carolina; farmer; $100 real estate; married within the year.
Lucy S. Jester, age 24, born in North Carolina; cannot read or write; married within the year.
John M. Jester, age 4, born in North Carolina.
Lucy and William were living next door to the family of John & Rachel Jester.18 There was also another, elder William Jester family living very nearby,19 which is apparently why this William Jester was known as "Jr." (not an unheard of practice then - Jr. did not always imply a parent-child relationship). Also living next door on the other side was the family of Lucy's sister, Mary Ann Hinshaw Fleming.10
Lucy and William and family were shown in the 1860 census (Jun 8 1860), Yadkin County, North Carolina:12
W M Jester, age 34, born in North Carolina; farmer; $765 real estate; $575 personal property; cannot read or write.
Lucy S Jester, age 33, born in North Carolina; cannot read or write.
John M Jester, age 13, born in North Carolina; attended school.
Robert F Jester, age 9, born in North Carolina; attended school.
William P Jester, age 7, born in North Carolina; attended school.
Sabra A Jester, age 2 months, born in North Carolina.
On Nov 1 1863 William enlisted (or was conscripted) as a private in Company E, 58th North Carolina Infantry (Confederate). On Apr 30 1864 he was arrested as a deserter.20 William died May 14 1864, in a hospital in LaGrange, Troup County, Georgia.3,11,20 (This assumes the William Jester in Civil War records was the same William Jester, although it seems probable).
Widow Lucy Jester and family were shown in the 1870 census (Jun 17 1870), still in Yadkin County, North Carolina:4
Jester, Lucy, age 45, born in North Carolina; keeping house & farming; $250 real estate; $500 personal property; cannot read or write.
Jester, John, age 24, born in North Carolina; laborer.
Jester, William, age 18, born in North Carolina; laborer.
Jester, Sabra, age 10, born in North Carolina.
Jester, Thomas, age 6, born in North Carolina.
Jester, Mathew *, age 1, born in Indiana.
* (This was Matthew Caswell Jester, son of John M. Jester & Nancy Taylor - Nancy had died Nov 21 1869).3
Lucy Sabrina Hinshaw died Jan 20 1879, Yadkin County, North Carolina; buried Mt. Pleasant Methodist Church Cemetery, Fall Creek Township, Yadkin County, North Carolina.1,2,3
For some reason, there are two distinct grave markers for Lucy in the Mt. Pleasant Methodist Church Cemetery. One shows:2
Lucy S. Hinshaw
Wife of William Jester and Daughter of B.J. and R.H. Hinshaw
Born March 4, 1825
Died January 20, 1879 at age 54
The second grave marker is approximately 15 feet away, next to the graves of parents Benjamin J. and Ruth H. Hinshaw; it reads:2
Lucy S. Hinshaw
March 25, 1825
January 20, 1859
Note the different dates. The second grave marker is of a newer type that has been used as a replacement stone on other graves in the same cemetery. It appears that a mistake was made in transcribing the dates onto the replacement stone.
After her brother W.P. Hinshaw died in 1900, Lucy's three children inherited $1,295.03 in cash and 87 1/2 acres of land from the estate.21
Photo: Lucy Sabrina Hinshaw in her sunset years
Photo: Lucy Sabrina Hinshaw with children Robert, Thomas, John and Sabra; tintype, probably about 1870
Photo: Daughter Sabra Annis Jester with her husband John Robert Davis
Photo: Sons Tom Jester and "Pet" Jester
- A manuscript titled "The Hinshaw Family" by Thomas D. Hamm - submitted
by Fontella Hinshaw.
- Contribution from Cindy Huggett () citing: gravestone.
- Contribution from Ray Parker ().
- 1870 census, Richmond Hill P.O., Fall Creek Township, Yadkin County, North Carolina; roll M593-1166, page 681, line #23, dwelling #40, family #40.
- "North Carolina Marriage Bonds" fiche in the LDS Family History Library.
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
International Genealogical Index (IGI) - North Carolina.
- Posting Mar 21 2002 by Pat Friesen () to JESTER-L.
- Contribution from Cindy Huggett () citing: 1860 census.
- Posting Oct 27 2000 by Pat Friesen () to JESTER-L.
- 1850 census, Surry County, North Carolina; roll 646, page 228, line #29, dwelling #978, family #983.
- Contribution from Cindy Huggett ().
- 1860 census, Mt. Nebo P.O., Yadkin County, North Carolina; roll M653-919, page 256 (512), line #34, dwelling #93, family #93.
- North Carolina Death Collection, 1908-1996; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Contribution from Beth Zaring ().
- Dave Spang database: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Shores/1702.
- Mooreland Cemetery burials; Henry County Genealogical Services:
- 1850 census, Surry County, North Carolina; roll 646, page 228, line #26, dwelling #977, family #982.
- 1850 census, Surry County, North Carolina; roll 646, page 228, line #17, dwelling #976, family #981.
- 1850 census, Surry County, North Carolina; roll 646, page 228, line #12, dwelling #975, family #980.
- American Civil War Soldiers; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Estate settlement of W.P. Hinshaw, the Marin Journal, Feb 27 1902.
- Photo courtesy of Beth Zaring ().
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2019, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]