┌── Nathan Hinshaw
┌── Iram Hinshaw ────┤
│ 1838-1909 │
│ └── Asenath Hodgin
Nancy Matilda Hinshaw ───┤
B: 1857 │
D: 1921 │
└── Rebecca Little
M: Abel Sanford Norton
└── Grace May Norton (1886-1981) 1,2
M: William Russell
Nancy Matilda Hinshaw [ID 10557]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Born Aug 31 1857, Indiana.2,3,4,5
Nancy M. Hinshaw was shown age 2 in the 1860 Census, living in the household of her grandfather, Nathan Hinshaw of Washington Township, Randolph County, Indiana.5 Apparently she was placed in her grandfather's home after her mother died in 1859.
She married Abel Sanford Norton, Jan 23 1875, Randolph County, Indiana.3,6 Abel, son of William Norton & Margaret Hinshaw, was born Aug 7 1854, in/near Winchester, Randolph County, Indiana.2,3,4,7
Nancy and Abel were 4th cousins once removed. The Norton and Hinshaw families were apparently close: Nancy's father remarried as his third wife, Elizabeth Jane Norton, aunt of Nancy's husband Abel Sanford Norton (so her aunt-in-law also became her new step mother).
Aurella Inez Norton, born Mar 22 1876, Randolph County,Indiana; died Jun 1932; apparently married a -- Rockhill [shown in 1900 living with Ruth Sabina Hinshaw #1151
Edward Russell Norton, born Jan 7 1882, Winchester, Indiana; died Oct 27 1962, Wichita, Kansas.
Gladys Ruth Norton, born Feb 13 1895 [Feb 1894], Indiana; died Apr 19 1960, Los Angeles, California; married -- Wilcox.
Nancy Matilda and family were shown in the 1880 census, Washington Township, Randolph County, Indiana:4
Norton, Sanford, age 25, born in Indiana; father born in Indiana; mother born in Ohio; farmer.
Norton, Matilda, wife, age 23, born in Indiana; father born in Indiana; mother born in Ohio; keeping house.
Norton, Inez, daughter, age 4, born in Indiana; parents born in Indiana.
, mother, age 56, born in Ohio; parents born in North Carolina; widow.
Nancy Matilda and family were shown in the 1900 census (Jun 1 1900), living next door to Abel's widowed mother in Washington Township, Randolph County, Indiana:2
Norton, Sanford, head-of-household, age 45, born Aug 1854 in Indiana; father born in Indiana; mother born in Ohio; married 25 years; occupation: farmer; owned farm (mortgaged).
Norton, Nancy M., wife, age 42, born Aug 1857 in Indiana; parents born in Indiana; married 25 years; 4 children, 4 living.
Norton, Russell, son, age 18, born Jan 1882 in Indiana; parents born in Indiana; occupation: farmer; attended school 5 months.
, daughter, age 13, born Dec 1886 in Indiana; parents born in Indiana; attended school 6 months.
Norton, Ruth, daughter, age 5, born Feb 1894 in Indiana; parents born in Indiana.
, head-of-household, age 76, born Dec 1823 in Ohio; parents born in North Carolina; widow, married 13 years; 6 children, 1 living; owned farm (free).
Abel died Oct 3 1903, La Grange, Lee County, Arkansas; buried LaGrange Cemetery, LaGrange, Lee County, Arkansas.3,7
Widow Nancy Matilda and daughter Gladys were shown in the 1910 census (May 2 1910), Mitchell Street, Conway, Faulkner County, Arkansas:9
Norton, Nancy T., head-of-household, age 52, born in Indiana; parents born in Indiana; widow; 4 children, 4 living; occupation: "own income"; rented home.
Norton, Gladys R., daughter, age 15, born in Indiana; parents born in Indiana; attended school.
Malone, John E., boarder, age 31, born in Arkansas; father born in Georgia; mother born in South Carolina; widower; occupation: teacher, literary school.
She then married William Russell, about 1915.10 William, son of George + Clarissa Russell, was born Jul 16 1842, Indiana.11,12,13,14,15,16,17 William Russell was Nancy Matilda's uncle by marriage, widower of her aunt Ruth Sabina Hinshaw.10
William died Mar 17 1917, buried LaGrange Cemetery, LaGrange, Lee County, Arkansas.13
Nancy Matilda Hinshaw died Jul 9 1921, St. Francis County, Arkansas; buried LaGrange Cemetery, LaGrange, Lee County, Arkansas.3,18
William was buried with his first wife, Ruth Sabina Hinshaw, with a double gravestone (presumably ordered by Nancy Matilda). Nancy Matilda is buried near them in the same cemetery.13
Photo: Nancy Matilda Hinshaw probably taken in Arkansas or in Florida
Photo: Nancy Matilda Hinshaw gravestone LaGrance Cemetery
Photo: Abel Sanford Norton gravestone buried with his mother, Margaret Hinshaw, LaGrange Cemetery
Photo: William Russell gravestone buried with his first wife, Ruth Sabina Hinshaw, LaGrange Cemetery, LaGrange, Arkansas
- Contribution from Mary Joanne Norton-Canaan ().
- 1900 census, Washington Township, Randolph County, Indiana; roll T623-399, ED 129, page 1A, line #60, dwelling #3-4, family #3-4.
- Contribution from Mary Joanne Norton-Canaan () and
Betty Louise Norton-Brock () citing: Norton family bible.
- 1880 census, Washington Township, Randolph County, Indiana; roll T9-0307, ED 173, page 267A, line #20, dwelling #63, family #63.
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Indiana.
- Indiana Marriages, 1845-1920; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Gravestone photo courtesy of Mary Joanne Norton-Canaan ().
- RootsWeb California Death Index:
- 1910 census, 2nd Ward, Conway, Faulkner County, Arkansas; roll T624-49, ED 24, page 100B, line #88, dwelling #354, family #355.
- Contribution from Mary Joanne Norton-Canaan ().
- "Abstracts of the Records of the Society of Friends in Indiana", Part 2,
subtitled "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Volume VII",
(a compendium of many of the records left by William Wade Hinshaw on
his death), edited by Willard Heiss; GS929.3 H47 in a local library.
- Family lineage contributed by Edwin Everett Hinshaw
- Contribution from Mary Norton Canaan ().
- 1870 census, Marion P.O., Marion Township, Grant County, Indiana; roll M593-317, page 25, line #10, dwelling #156, family #174.
- 1880 census, Marion Township, Grant County, Indiana; roll T9-280, ED 180, page 657C, line #1, dwelling #59, family #63.
- 1910 census, Cleburne Township, Phillips County, Arkansas; roll T624-60, ED 95, page 146A, line #13, dwelling #4, family #4.
- 1900 census, Cleburne Township, Phillips County, Arkansas; roll T623-71, ED 74, page 15A, line #1, dwelling #249, family #254.
- Arkansas Death Index, 1914-1950; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Photo courtesy of Mary Joanne Norton-Canaan ().
- Photo courtesy of Mary Norton Canaan ().
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2019, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]