┌── Absolom Hinshaw
┌── Benjamin Hinshaw ──┤
│ 1803-1840 │
│ └── Elizabeth Hinshaw
Newton Hinshaw ─────┤
B: 1835 │ ┌── Peter Larrance
D: <1910 │ │
└── Mary E. Larrence ──┤
└── Abigail Heydock
M: Abigail A. Gregg
├── Cora V. Hinshaw (1866-1904) 1,2,3
├── Mary E. Hinshaw (1868-?) 1,2,3
└── Inez H. Hinshaw (1872-1931) 1,3
Newton Hinshaw [ID 00123]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Newton Hinshaw4,5,6,7 [Newsom Hinshaw8, Newton Henshaw9,10].
Born Dec 28 18354,5 [Dec 28 18332,7,9,10,11], Cane Creek MM, Chatham County, North Carolina4,5.
At Cane Creek MM on 10-2-1852, Newton was granted a certificate to West Union MM, Indiana.4
At West Union MM (Indiana) on 11-15-1852, Newsom [sic] was received on a certificate from Cane Creek MM, N.C.8
Newton and brother Nathan were shown in the 1860 census (Jul 30 1860), Eudora Township, Douglas County, Kansas:12
N. Henshaw, age 26, born in North Carolina; farmer; $2000 real estate; $200 personal property.
He married Abigail A. Gregg.1,6 Abigail was born Feb 28 1840, Middletown, Ohio.1,2,3,9,10
At West Union MM on 8-5-1861, Newton was granted a certificate to Kansas MM, Kansas.8
During the Civil War, Newton enlisted as a private in Company E, 12th Kansas Infantry.13,14,15 Enlisted Aug 14 1862; mustered-in Sep 26 1862; mustered-out with his regiment as a quartermaster sargent Jun 30 1865.16,17
Newton and family were shown in the 1870 census (Jul 11 1870), Willow Springs, Eudora Township, Douglas County, Kansas:2
Hinshaw, Newton, age 37, born in North Carolina; farmer; $7650 real estate; $1000 personal property.
Hinshaw, Abbie A., age 30, born in Ohio; keeping house.
Hinshaw, MosesIt is unknown who was the Moses Hinshaw above, living in Newton's household in 1870. From his age it seems possible/probable that he might have been a brother.18
, age 28, born in North Carolina; carpenter; $500 personal property.
In 1879 Newton & Abbie were living in Hesper, Kansas.1
On Sep 15-16 1879 Newton joined over 3,000 early Kansas settlers at Bismark Grove, Douglas County, Kansas, gathered to celebrate the 25th anniversary of statehood. Newton Henshaw was recorded as having been born December 28, 1833 in Chatham County, North Carolina, and settling in Eudora, Kansas in 1855. Abbie A. Henshaw also attended and was recorded as having been born Feb 28 1840 in Middletown, Ohio, and settling in Olathe, Kansas on March 9, 1857. In 1879 they were then residing in Hesper, Douglas County, Kansas.10
Newton and family were shown in the 1880 census (Jun 11 1880), Eudora Township, Douglas County, Kansas:3
Henshaw, Newton, age 46, born in North Carolina; parents born in North Carolina; farmer.
Henshaw, Abbie, wife, age 39, born in Ohio; parents born in Ohio; keeping house.
Henshaw, Cora V.
, daughter, age 13, born in Kansas; father born in North Carolina; mother born in Ohio; attended school.
Henshaw, Mame E.
, daughter, age 11, born in Kansas; father born in North Carolina; mother born in Ohio; attended school.
Henshaw, Inez H.
, daughter, age 7, born in Kansas; father born in North Carolina; mother born in Ohio; attended school.
Studley, George, servant, age 23, born in Indiana; parents born in Indiana; farm laborer.
White, Henrietta, servant, black, age 40, born in Tennessee; widow; domestic servant; cannot read or write.
White, James, black, age 8, born in Tennessee; parents born in Tennessee.
White, Willie, black, age 6, born in Tennessee; parents born in Tennessee.
White, Ettie, black, age 3, born in Tennessee; parents born in Tennessee.
William G. Cutler's "History of the State of Kansas", published in 1883, noted:19
Eudora Temperance Union, a society for the promotion of temperance, was organized and chartered in the fall of 1879. "Temperance Tabernacle," a frame building, 24x46 feet was completed at a cost of $800, in November, 1879. Its first and present officers are O. G. Richards, President; S. V. Carr, Secretary; Vice Presidents are Mrs. N. Henshaw, Mrs. E. Rich; J. N. Still, Treasurer; Trustees, T. C. Darling, James Still, O. G. Richards, E. Rich and N. Henshaw. Present membership, 150.
Newton Hinshaw died before Apr 19 1910.20
Widow Abbie was shown in the 1910 census (Apr 19 1910), living in the household of widower son-in-law John Alison at 501 North Hazel Street, Danville, Vermilion County, Illinois:20
Henshaw, Abbie, mother-in-law, age 70, born in Ohio; parents born in Ohio; widow; 3 children, 2 living.
Widow Abbie was shown in the 1920 census (Jan 8 1920), living alone in Kennilworth Hall, Chestnut Avenue, Long Beach, Los Angeles County, California:21
Hinshaw, Abbie, head-of-household, age 68, born in Ohio; parents born in Ohio; widow; rented home; occupation: none.
Abbie remarried about May 8 1925 in Long Beach, California to George L. Bachman.22
Abbie and George were shown in the 1930 census (Apr 4 1930), 316 West 6th St., Long Beach, Los Angeles County, California:23
Bachman, George L., head-of-household, age 88, born in New York; father born in Pennsylvania; mother born in New York; first married at age 24; owned home ($10,000 value); radio in home; occupation: none; not a veteran.
Bachman, Abegal A., wife, age 85, born in Ohio; parents born in Ohio; first married at age 20.
Abigail died Aug 25 1931, Los Angeles County, California; age 91.24
George L. Bachman died Sep 24 1933, Los Angeles County, California, age 91.24
Photo: Sargent Newton Hinshaw 12th Kansas Infantry
Photo: Sargent Newton Hinshaw 12th Kansas Infantry
- Contribution from Carol Lawrence Vidales.
- 1870 census, Willow Springs, Eudora Township, Douglas County, Kansas; page 245, line #18, dwelling #80, family #81.
- 1880 census, Eudora Township, Douglas County, Kansas; roll T9-0380, ED 64, page 18B, line #29, dwelling #120, family #122.
- "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy",
by William Wade Hinshaw, in many well-stocked libraries.
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
International Genealogical Index (IGI) - North Carolina.
- "Hinshaw Family": a collection of family group sheets by Edna Harvey Joseph;
LDS FHL microfilm #1572018 items 8-10 and #1572019 items 1-4
- Society of Friends, Cane Creek MM Records; LDS FHL microfilm #0371251
- "Abstracts of the Records of the Society of Friends in Indiana", Part 6,
subtitled "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Volume VII",
(a compendium of many of the records left by William Wade Hinshaw on
his death), edited by Willard Heiss; GS929.3 H47 in a local library.
- "Kansas Settlers", 1879; Lineages, Inc.; http://www.lineages.com.
- Kansas Settlers, 1854-79; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Graden, Debra, ed. "Kansas Settlers, 1854-1879". Orem, UT: Ancestry, Inc., 1999.
- 1860 census, Eudora P.O., Eudora Township, Douglas County, Kansas; roll M653-349, page 157, line #25, dwelling #1230, family #1170.
- "Kansas Enlistments, 1861-1865"; Lineages, Inc.; http://www.lineages.com.
- U.S. National Park Service - "Civil War Soldiers & Sailors System":
- Kansas State Library Archives: http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/statewide/military/civilwar/1865b.htm.
- Kansas State Library Archives: http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/statewide/military/civilwar/adjutant/12/non.html.
- Kansas State Library Archives: http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/civilwar/12th_kansas_volunteer_infantry.htm.
- Cutler's "History of the State of Kansas"; The Kansas Collection:
- 1910 census, 4th Ward, Danville, Vermilion County, Illinois; roll T624-330, ED 146, page 135B, line #97, dwelling #85, family #89.
- 1920 census, Long Beach, Los Angeles County, California; roll T625-104, ED 76, page 8B, line #95, dwelling #108, family #384.
- Marriage licenses published in the Santa Ana Register; USGenWeb Archives:
- 1930 census, Long Beach, Los Angeles County, California; roll T626-129, ED 1100, page 3A, line #43, dwelling #54, family #108.
- VitalSearch California Death Index 1930-1939:
- Photo from an ebay CDV auction (won by ).
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Sat Oct 22 14:15:45 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2018, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]