┌── Jacob A. Hinshaw
┌── Solomon Hinshaw ──┤
│ 1817-1873 │
│ └── Phebe Allen
Ira J. Hinshaw ───┤
B: 1840 │ ┌── Joseph Hodgin
D: 1878 │ │
└── Rachel Hodgin ────┤
└── Ruth Dicks
M: Hannah Thomas
├── Charles A. Hinshaw (1865-1944) 1,2,3,4
├── Rosanna Delphine Hinshaw (1867-1932) 1,2,3,4
├── Ollie Lasalle Hinshaw (1869-1933) 2,3,4
├── Edna Pearl Hinshaw (1872-1902) 1,3,4
└── Myrtle Ruth Hinshaw (1874-1938) 3,4
Ira J. Hinshaw [ID 01265]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Born Feb 27 1840, Indiana.2,3,5,6,7
He married Hannah Thomas5,8, Oct 27 18625,8 [Mar 7 18639], Randolph County, Indiana5,8. Hannah, daughter of Eli + Martha Thomas2,10,11,12, was born Nov - 18362,10,11,12, Ohio2,10,11,12 [Indiana4].
At White River MM on 3-7-1863, Ira J. Hinshaw, Jericho meeting, was complained of for marrying contrary to discipline.13 "4-4-1863 disowned".13
Family folklore is that Ira fell in love with Hannah, who was a Methodist, and they married, resulting in Ira being disowned.1
Ira and family were shown in the 1870 census (Jul 14 1870), Washington Township, Randolph County, Indiana:2
Hinshaw, Ira J., age 30, born in Indiana; shoe & boot maker; $800 real estate; $200 personal property.
Hinshaw, Hannah, age 33, born in Ohio; keeps house.
Thomas, Eli, age 60, born in Ohio; invalid; $100 personal property.
Thomas, Martha, age 55 [unclear], born in Ohio; "boards".
Rofs [unclear], Jane, age 13, born in Indiana; house keeper.
Throckmorten, Charles, age 22, born in Ohio; $400 personal property.
Ira J. Hinshaw died Aug 6 1878, buried Aug 6 1878, Sterling Community Cemetery, Sterling, Rice County, Kansas.5,6,14,15
Widow Hannah and family were shown in the 1880 census (Jun 2 1880), Sterling Township, Rice County, Kansas:4
Hinshaw, Hannah, age 43, born in Indiana; father born in Ohio; mother born in Indiana; widow; farming.
Hinshaw, Rosana D.
, daughter, age 13, born in Indiana; parents born in Indiana; attended school.
Hinshaw, Ollie L.
, son, age 11, born in Indiana; parents born in Indiana; attended school.
Hinshaw, Edna P.
, daughter, age 7, born in Indiana; parents born in Indiana; attended school.
Hinshaw, Myrtle R.
, daughter, age 5, born in Indiana; parents born in Indiana; attended school.
Hannah settled (along with all of her children) about six miles northeast of Jet, Alfalfa County, Oklahoma.14
Widow Hannah Hinshaw was shown in the 1900 census (Jun 30 1900), Saline Township, Woods County (now Alfalfa County), Oklahoma Territory:12
Hinshaw, Hannah, head-of-household, age 63, born Nov 1836 in Ohio; father born in Ohio; mother born in Indiana; widow; 8 children, 5 living; farmer; owned farm.
Living next door in 1900 were daughters Rosanna Delphine16 and Myrtle.17
Widow Hannah Hinshaw was again shown in the 1910 census (Apr 15 1910), Jett town, Saline Township, Alfalfa County, Oklahoma:18
Hinshaw, Hannah, head-of-household, age 72, born in Indiana; father born in Ohio; mother born in Indiana; widow; 8 children, 4 living; occupation: "own income"; owned house.
, boarder, age 19, born in Kansas; single; school teacher.
Hannah died 1917, buried Thrawl Cemetery, near Jet, Alfalfa County, Oklahoma.14
- Contribution from John & Lyn Matthiesen ().
- 1870 census, Winchester P.O., Washington Township, Randolph County, Indiana; roll M593-354, page 450, line #18, dwelling #201, family #201.
- The old family bible of Chester Edward Hinshaw, containing family
lineage information recorded by Rosina Harriet Hinshaw,
contributed by Marion Hinshaw and Heather Hinshaw-Tomas.
- 1880 census, Sterling Township, Rice County, Kansas; roll T9-0394, ED 275, page 181B, line #1, dwelling #9, family #9.
- Family lineage contributed by Edwin Everett Hinshaw
- "Hinshaw Family": a collection of family group sheets by Edna Harvey Joseph;
LDS FHL microfilm #1572018 items 8-10 and #1572019 items 1-4
- 1850 census, White River Township, Randolph County, Indiana; roll 168, pg 61, household #295.
- Indiana Marriages, 1845-1920; http://www.ancestry.com (county bk page 16).
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Indiana.
- Contribution from Harold Blackledge () citing: gravestone of Hannah Hinshaw.
- 1860 census, Spartinsburgh P.O., Greensfork Township, Randolph County, Indiana; roll M653-292, page 796, line #25, dwelling #772, family #752.
- 1900 census, Saline Township, Woods County, Oklahoma Territory; ED 234, page 43B, line #95, dwelling #299, family #306.
- "Abstracts of the Records of the Society of Friends in Indiana", Part 2,
subtitled "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Volume VII",
(a compendium of many of the records left by William Wade Hinshaw on
his death), edited by Willard Heiss; GS929.3 H47 in a local library.
- Contribution from Harold Blackledge ().
- Contribution from Diane Smith Battershell ().
- 1900 census, Saline Township, Woods County, Oklahoma Territory; ED 234, page 43B, line #87, dwelling #298, family #305.
- 1900 census, Saline Township, Woods County, Oklahoma Territory; ED 234, page 43B, line #83, dwelling #297, family #304.
- 1910 census, Saline Township, Alfalfa County, Oklahoma; ED 13, page 1B, line #75, dwelling #15, family #15.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Thu Oct 20 19:59:42 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2018, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]