┌── Ezra William Hinshaw
┌── Horace Mann Hinshaw ──┤
│ 1869-1905 │
│ └── Elvira E. Griffin
Sappho Mae Hinshaw ───┤
B: 1897 │ ┌── Amos Bogue
D: 1979 │ │
└── Nancy Elvira Bogue ───┤
└── Phebe (Elvira) Reynolds
M: Lewis Edeker Amend
Sappho Mae Hinshaw [ID 01345]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Born May 2 1897, Ankeny, Polk County, Iowa.1,2,3,4,5,6
She married Lewis Edeker Amend, Mar 10 1921, Otero County, Colorado.1,2,7,8 Lewis, son of Henry C. + Mary E. Amend, was born Nov 11 1896, Rocky Ford, Otero County, Colorado.2,5,6,9,10,11
Lewis was a World War I veteran,5 having served as a Corporal in the U.S. Army.12 On Jun 5 1918 Lewis Edker Amend, age 21, had registered for the World War I draft in La Junta, Otero County, Colorado. He declared he was born November 11th 1896 in Rocky Ford, Colorado, and was then still residing in Rocky Ford where he was farming with his father. He declared his nearest relative was H. C. Amend of Rocky Ford. He was recorded as short, medium build, blue eyes, light hair.10
Lewis E. Amend, Jr., born 1922; died 1924
Horace Cassell Amend, born 1925
Edwin Hinshaw Amend, born 1927
Edith Elvira Amend, born 1929
Dale Norman Amend, born 1932
Sappho and family were shown in the 1930 census (Apr 10 1930), Otero County, Colorado:5
Amend, Lewis E., head-of-household, age 33, born in Colorado; father born in Iowa; mother born in Missouri; first married at age 23; rented home; radio in home; occupation: farmer, farm; World War I veteran.
Amend, Sappho H., wife, age 32, born in Iowa; father born in Iowa; mother born in Indiana; first married at age 22.
Amend, H. Cassell, son, age 4, born in Colorado; father born in Colorado; mother born in Iowa.
Amend, Edwin H., son, age 2, born in Colorado; father born in Colorado; mother born in Iowa.
Amend, Edith E., daughter, age 11 months, born in Colorado; father born in Colorado; mother born in Iowa.
Amend, Mary E., mother, age 66, born in Missouri; father born in Kentucky; mother born in Illinois; widow, first married at age 18.
Sappho Mae Hinshaw died Jul 9 1979, Rocky Ford, Otero County, Colorado.1,6,7
Lewis died Jun - 1981.6
Social Security information for Sappho Mae Hinshaw: 521-22-7878
Social Security information for Lewis Edeker Amend: 522-05-5310
- Contribution from Dorothy Ann (Conley) Cline citing: family records.
- "Hinshaw Family": a collection of family group sheets by Edna Harvey Joseph;
LDS FHL microfilm #1572018 items 8-10 and #1572019 items 1-4
- 1900 census, Providence Township, Hardin County, Iowa; roll T623-435, ED 153, page 6A, line #21, dwelling #110, family #111.
- 1910 census, Rocky Ford, Otero County, Colorado; roll T624-123, ED 131, page 6A, line #12, dwelling #121, family #122.
- 1930 census, 17th Precinct, Otero County, Colorado; roll T626-248, ED 23, page 5B, line #57, dwelling #85, family #88.
- "Social Security Death Index" (as it is commonly called), derived from
the Social Security Administration "Death Master File".
- Contribution from Horace Cassell Amend ().
- "Colorado Marriages 1859-1939" (USGenWeb Archives).
- 1910 census, Swink, Otero County, Colorado; roll T624-123, ED 130, page 8B, line #65, dwelling #141, family #147.
- World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918; http://www.ancestry.com.
- WWI Civilian Draft Registrations; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Colorado Soldiers in WWI, 1917-18; http://www.ancestry.com.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2019, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]