┌── Benjamin Hanshaw
┌── Hezekiah Hanshaw ──┤
│ c1817-<1900 │
│ └── Susannah Symson
George Bates Hanshaw ───┤
B: 1863 │
D: 1939 │
└── Johanna Thompson
M: Caroline Evans
├── Lena M. Hanshaw (1894-1973) 1,2,3
└── Cora Hanshaw (1897-1926) 1,2,3
M: Myzelthia Nance
George Bates Hanshaw [ID 14705]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Born Apr 15 1863, Palmyra, Macoupin County, Illinois.2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 (Apr - 1861).1
He married Caroline Evans1,2 [Callie Evans3,8], about 18861,2. Caroline, daughter of John O. + Elizabeth Evans, was born May 6 1859, Illinois.1,2,3,8,10,11,12
George and family were shown in the 1900 census (Jun 7 1900), LaPorte, Harris County, Texas:1
Hanshaw, George B., head-of-household, age 39, born Apr 1861 in Illinois; father born in Virginia; mother born in Ohio; married 13 years; occupation: blacksmith; rented home.
Hanshaw, Caroline, wife, age 41, born May 1859 in Illinois; father born in Kentucky; mother born in Indiana; married 13 years; 3 children, 2 living.
Hanshaw, Lena M.
, daughter, age 5, born July 1894 in Florida; parents born in Illinois.
, daughter, age 3, born Jan 1897 in Florida; parents born in Illinois.
George and family were shown in the 1910 census (Apr 16 1910), Rust Avenue, Gentry, Benton County, Arkansas:2
Hanshaw, George B., head-of-household, age 47, born in Illinois; father born in Virginia; mother born in Ohio; first marriage, married 24 years; occupation: blacksmith, own shop; owned home (free).
Hanshaw, Caroline, wife, age 50, born in Illinois; father born in Tennessee; mother born in Indiana; first marriage, married 24 years; 3 children, 2 living.
, daughter, age 15, born in Florida; parents born in Illinois; attended school; occupation: student, high school.
, daughter, age 13, born in Florida; parents born in Illinois; attended school.
Evans, Elizabeth, mother-in-law, age 75, born in Indiana; father born in Kentucky; mother born in Virginia; widow; 8 children, 7 living.
George and family were shown in the 1920 census (Jan 13 1920), Cherry Ave., Delaware, Nowata County, Oklahoma:3
Hanshaw, George B., head-of-household, age 56, born in Illinois; father born in West Virginia; mother born in Ohio; owned home (free); occupation: rural mail carrier.
Hanshaw, Callie, wife, age 60, born in Illinois; father born in Tennessee; mother born in Indiana.
, daughter, age 22, born in Florida; parents born in Illinois; attended school; occupation: school teacher, Lenapah.
Oneal, Fred L.
, son-in-law, age 30, born in Kansas; father born in Illinois; mother born in Colorado; occupation: electric engineer.
Oneal, Lena M.
, daughter, age 25, born in Florida; parents born in Illinois.
, granddaughter, age 3 years 6 months, born in Arkansas; father born in Kansas; mother born in Florida.
Caroline died May 19 1922, buried Mt. Washington Cemetery, Nowata County, Oklahoma.8
He then married Myzelthia Nance6,7 [Mazelpha Nance13, Mizelpha Nance14, Mezephia Nance15, Mezelphia Nance16,17, Mezelphia Coyle17, Mizelpia Bond18, Myzelphia Nance19,20]. Myzelthia, daughter of Barrack/Berrick Nance & Emeline/Amelia Johnson, was born Jan - 1866, Illinois.6,13,14,16,18,19 (Mar 12 1867).17
Myzelthia had been previously married May 18 1882, Bond County, Illinois15 to James Livingfield Coyle15,16,17 (and apparently divorced/separated as James Coyle remarried in 1892),16 then remarried to a William M. Bond.18,19
George and Myzelthia were shown in the 1930 census (Apr 5 1930), Delaware, Nowata County, Oklahoma:6
Hanshaw, George, head-of-household, age 66, born in Illinois; father born in Virginia; mother born in Ohio; first married at age 22; owned home; no radio in home; occupation: blacksmith, own shop; not a war veteran.
Hanshaw, Myzelthia, wife, age 64, born in Illinois; parents born in Illinois; first married at age 18.
George and Myzelthia divorced, in a messy divorce where George claimed that she was insane and had her evaluated by the county medical authorities. Myzelthia was found sane, the divorce was granted, and the property was divided. In the settlement Myzelthia received a home in Coffeyville, Kansas, and eventually sold the property to a Nadine Buckner. Nadine Buckner was the wife of the lawyer who represented Myzelthia in the divorce trial.17
George Bates Hanshaw died May 23 1939, Monett, Barry County, Missouri; age 76y 1m 8d.9 Medical: George died from cirrhosis of the liver.9 Death certificate #17938 (informant: Mrs. C.A. Rose).9
George apparently intended, at one time, to be buried with Caroline in Mt. Washington Cemetery, Nowata County, Oklahoma, as there is a gravemarker there with his name and birthdate (but no death date).8 However he was actually buried in Monett Cemetery in Barry County, Missouri,21 perhaps only because he died in Monett.22
Myzelthia died Aug 8 1943, at her home, Coffeyville, Montgomery County, Kansas; age 76.20
Myzelphia's death was noted in "The Independence Daily Reporter" (Independence, Montgomery County, Missouri) on Tuesday, August 10, 1943:20
Myselphia [sic] Hanshaw.
Mrs. Myzelphia HANSHAW, 76, died Sunday night at her home in Coffeyville, where she has lived for the past nine years. She is survived by a son, Elmer BOND of Coffeyville, and a daughter, Maud HENDRIX, of Richmond, Mo. The time of the funeral services has not been set.
Photo: George Bates Hanshaw gravestone Monett Cemetery
- 1900 census, Justice Precinct 3, LaPorte, Harris County, Texas; roll T623-1642, ED 98, page 5A, line #29, dwelling #108, family #110.
- 1910 census, Gentry, Benton County, Arkansas; roll T624-44, ED 24, page 2B, line #70, dwelling #45, family #46.
- 1920 census, Delaware, Lenapah Township, Nowata County, Oklahoma; roll T625-1478, ED 67, page 13A, line #35, dwelling #154, family #168.
- 1870 census, Palmyra P.O., Township 12 Range 8, Macoupin County, Illinois; roll M593-250, page 315, line #14, dwelling #90, family #90.
- 1880 census, Central Township, Barton County, Missouri; roll T9-0673, ED 258, page 391B, line #33, dwelling #45, family #51.
- 1930 census, Delaware, Nowata County, Oklahoma; roll T626-1916, ED 4, page 5A, line #6, dwelling #96, family #96.
- Posting Sep 30 2005 by Carol Hanshaw to the Macoupin County, Illinois query board:
- Burials in Mt. Washington Cemetery, Nowata County, Oklahoma; USGenWeb:
- Barry County, Missouri death certificate abstracts; USGenWeb Archives:
- 1860 census, Bardolph P.O., Mound Township, McDonough County, Illinois; roll M653-201, page 419, line #35, dwelling #398, family #400.
- 1870 census, Bardolph P.O., Mound Township, McDonough County, Illinois; roll M593-256, page 66, line #39, dwelling #185, family #178.
- 1880 census, Colfax Township, Page County, Iowa; roll T9-359, ED 158, page 523D, line #25, dwelling #383, family #393.
- 1870 census, Ripley P.O., Ripley Township, Bond County, Illinois; roll M593-188, page 286, line #14, dwelling #107, family #107.
- 1880 census, Ripley Township, Bond County, Illinois; roll T9-176, ED 68, page 204C, line #49, dwelling #104, family #105.
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763-1900 (book 1, page 56):
- RootsWeb WorldConnect data by David Stolte ().
- Ancestry Family Tree data "Bond Family Tree" posted by "myrtlebond".
- 1900 census, Lockwood Township, Dade County, Missouri; roll T623-851, ED 62, page 7A, line #26, dwelling #142, family #142.
- 1910 census, Lockwood, Lockwood Township, Dade County, Missouri; roll T624-777, ED 68, page 256B, line #95, dwelling #233, family #235.
- Death of Myzelphia Hanshaw; "The Independence Daily Reporter", Aug 10 1943
posted Dec 19 2009 by Jim Laird () to KSMONTGO-L.
- Burials in Monett IOOF Cemetery, Barry County, Missouri; USGenWeb Archives:
- Photo by Jay Trace (), with his permission.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2018, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]