┌── Nicholas Hancher │ 1705-1777 ┌── William Henshaw ─────┤ │ 1736-1799 │ │ └── Rebecca Smith │ c1707-? Hiram Henshaw ────┤ B: 1771 │ ┌── William Anderson D: 1845 │ │ └── Agnes Ann Anderson ──┤ c1745-<1806 │ └── Mary Lauren M: Mary McConnell ├── Harriett Henshaw, 1802-1803 ├── Evalina Henshaw, 1803-1829 ├── Mary Cowen Henshaw, 1805-? ├── James William Henshaw, 1809-1861 ├── Martha Jane Henshaw, 1811-1891 ├── Samuel Preston Henshaw, 1813-1884 └── Margaret Ann Henshaw, 1837-1870
|Hiram Henshaw [ID 01680]||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view:|
(Hiram Henshaw)1,69,70,129,132,133,145,165,a,b (Hiram Hanshaw)c
Born Sep 13 1771, Frederick County, Virginia.1,a,b,129,165,166
On 11 Mo. 15 1792 at Hopewell Friends MM (Virginia), Hiram Hanshaw, Ruhamah Hanshaw and William Hancher all witnessed and signed the marriage certificate of David Griffeth and Ruth Butterfield.c
He married Mary McConnell, Feb 24 1802, Mill Creek, Berkeley County, West Virginia.1,69,70,129,145,a,b,165,188,d Mary, daughter of William McConnel & Mary Cowan, was born May 27 1777.165 Hiram and Mary were married at the home of Mary's parents in what has been described as a "real Colonial wedding" - a great occasion.165,166
Note that Hiram's brother Levi married Mary's sister Ann McConnell,69,70,133,165 and his other brother Nicholas married Margaret McConnel133 (a cousin??).
Hiram was a captain during the War of 1812.188
At Hopewell Friends MM, Frederick County, Virginia, on 12 Mo. 14, 1826, Mary signed (witnessed) the marriage certificate for James W. Trimble and Mary Ann Hackney (daughter of Joseph Hackney & Lydia Sidwell).e
Mary died Apr 2 1842, Gerrardstown, Berkeley County, Virginia.129,165,166
Hiram Henshaw died Jul 19 1845, Gerrardstown, Berkeley County, Virginia.a,b,129,165,166
Hiram prepared his will Jun 18 1845. In this will Hiram states that his slaves are to be given their freedom if they wished. They were to be given money to go to a free state, preferably Ohio (they could not stay free in Virginia). Those who chose to decline freedom were to be provided ways of making their own living.172
1. "The Hinshaw and Henshaw Families", by William Hinshaw; edited by Milo Custer; private printing, Bloomington, Illinois, 1911; Frank I. Miller Co., printers. LDS microfilm number 1402822.
69. The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS) International Genealogical Index (IGI) - West Virginia.
70. The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS) International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Virginia.
129. "Family Tree Maker, Family Archives, World Family Tree", Vol. 3, by Broderbund Software, a collection of individual family group submissions.
132. "The West Virginia Historical Magazine Quarterly", Vol. 4, No. 2, April 1904. The West Virginia Historical and Antiquarian Society, Charleston, W.VA. Article "The Henshaw Family" by Valley Virginia Henshaw. Contributed by David H. Henshaw ().
133. "Genealogical and Personal History of Fayette County Pennsylvania", Volume II. John W. Jordan & James Hadden, editors. Lewis Historical Publishing Company, New York, 1912. Contributed by David H. Henshaw ().
145. Family group sheets created by Frances G. Brumley, citing Henshaw family bible records, Greene County, TN court & cemetery records, and several secondary sources. Contributed by Ruth Jenkins ().
165. "History of Henshaws in Scotland, in England and in America to the Present Time", Edith Henshaw Kuntz, 1956; contributed by Don Henshaw.
166. Henshaw history and genealogy manuscript, original by Holmes Hart Henshaw, 1930; updated in 1995 by Donald Craig Henshaw and others.
172. Family history letter written April 24, 1969 by Anna Mary Henshaw. Contributed by Donald Craig Henshaw.
188. Wardell, Patrick G.: "Virginia & West Virginians 1607-1870", Volume 3; Heritage Books, Inc.; Bowie, Maryland; 1992
(a) Contribution from Ed Arntzen ().
(b) Contribution from Tommy Karns ().
(c) "Hopewell Friends History, 1734-1934, Frederick Co., Virginia",
Shenandoah Publishing House, Strasburg VA, 1936. (www.ancestry.com).
(d) "Virginia Marriages, 1740-1850"; http://www.ancestry.com.
(e) "Hopewell Friends History 1734-1934: Frederick County, Virginia:
Records of Hopewell Monthly Meetings and Meetings Reporting to Hopewell",
1936, Shendendoah Publishing House, Strasburg, VA.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer ▾ more...
Return to HFA Home Page
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]