+-- Nicholas Hancher | 1705-1777 +-- William Henshaw -----+ | 1736-1799 | | +-- Rebecca Smith | c1707-? William Slaughter Henshaw ---+ B: 1783 | +-- William Anderson D: 1836 | | +-- Agnes Ann Anderson --+ c1745-<1806 | +-- Mary Lauren M: Harriet Brown Lyle +-- Robert W. Henshaw, ?-1861 +-- Isabella Lyle Henshaw, 1817-1891 +-- Mary Henshaw, +-- Hugh Lyle Henshaw, 1819-1861 +-- William Anderson Henshaw, 1822-1881 +-- Ann Lavinia Henshaw, 1825-1842 +-- Ruhmau Rebecca Moore Henshaw, 1827-1836 +-- Wallace Wellington Henshaw, 1830-1854 +-- Harriet Biron Bailey Henshaw, 1832-1870 +-- Susan Henshaw, c1835-?
|William Slaughter Henshaw     [ID 01683]||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view:|
(William Slaughter Henshaw)1,70,132,165    (William Sloughter Henshaw)133,a    (William Slouth Henshaw)69
Born Nov 23 1783.166
On 6 Mo. 12 1805 at Hopewell Friends MM (Virginia), William S. Henshaw signed and witnessed the marriage certificate of Joseph Hackney Jr. and Lydia Sidwell.b
William was a captain in the 5th Infantry, U.S. Army, 1808-1815, and served during the War of 1812.165,c    Promoted from First Lieutenant to Captain, April 30, 1813.d
He married Harriet Brown Lyle, Sep 19 1816, Berkeley County, Virginia.1,70,132,e    (Harriet Browman Lyle)69    (Harriet Byron Lyle)165,166,129    Harriet was born Mar 12 1793, Virginia.165,166,f,g
Note that William's neice Eleanor married a Hugh Lyle in 1821.132    Harriet's relationship to Hugh is unknown.
William was a Captain in the 5th Infantry, U.S. Army, from 1808 to 1815, serving actively through the war of 1812.1,132,133,145,166
William Slaughter Henshaw died Apr 28 1836, at his home.129,165,166
Widow Harriet Henshaw and family were shown in the 1850 census, Berkeley County, Virginia, as follows:f
The 1850 census shows the following Henshaws all living near each other in Berkeley County, Virginia:
1. "The Hinshaw and Henshaw Families", by William Hinshaw; edited by Milo Custer; private printing, Bloomington, Illinois, 1911; Frank I. Miller Co., printers. LDS microfilm number 1402822.
69. The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS) International Genealogical Index (IGI) - West Virginia.
70. The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS) International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Virginia.
129. "Family Tree Maker, Family Archives, World Family Tree", Vol. 3, by Broderbund Software, a collection of individual family group submissions.
132. "The West Virginia Historical Magazine Quarterly", Vol. 4, No. 2, April 1904. The West Virginia Historical and Antiquarian Society, Charleston, W.VA. Article "The Henshaw Family" by Valley Virginia Henshaw. Contributed by David H. Henshaw ().
133. "Genealogical and Personal History of Fayette County Pennsylvania", Volume II. John W. Jordan & James Hadden, editors. Lewis Historical Publishing Company, New York, 1912. Contributed by David H. Henshaw ().
145. Family group sheets created by Frances G. Brumley, citing Henshaw family bible records, Greene County, TN court & cemetery records, and several secondary sources. Contributed by Ruth Jenkins ().
165. "History of Henshaws in Scotland, in England and in America to the Present Time", Edith Henshaw Kuntz, 1956; contributed by Don Henshaw.
166. Henshaw history and genealogy manuscript, original by Holmes Hart Henshaw, 1930; updated in 1995 by Donald Craig Henshaw and others.
(a) Contribution from Tom Henshaw.
(b) "Hopewell Friends History 1734-1934: Frederick County, Virginia:
Records of Hopewell Monthly Meetings and Meetings Reporting to Hopewell",
1936, Shendendoah Publishing House, Strasburg, VA.
(c) "Pedigrees of Some of the Emperor Charlemagne's Descendants" by Marcellus Donald Alexander R. von Redlich; Genealogical Publishing Company, 1988;
Roster of the General Society of War of 1812; pages 229, 273.
(d) "Notes and Queries Historical and Genealogical chiefly relating to Interior Pennsylvania"; by William Henry Egle; Genealogical Publishing Company, 1970; page 147.
(e) "Virginia Marriage Index, 1740-1850", Ancestry, Inc.
(f) 1850 census, 9th District, Berkeley County, Virginia, roll 936, pg 417, family #1543.
(g) 1860 census, Arden P.O., Berkeley County, Virginia; page 764, line #36, dwelling #86, family #86.
(h) 1850 census, 9th District, Berkeley County, Virginia, roll 936, pg 417, family #1544.
(j) 1850 census, 9th District, Berkeley County, Virginia, roll 936, pg 416, family #1519.
(k) 1850 census, 9th District, Berkeley County, Virginia, roll 936, pg 416, family #1524.
(l) 1850 census, 9th District, Berkeley County, Virginia, roll 936, pg 416, family #1525.
(m) 1850 census, 9th District, Berkeley County, Virginia, roll 936, pg 416, family #1528.
(n) 1850 census, 9th District, Berkeley County, Virginia, roll 936, pg 416, family #1529.
(o) 1850 census, 9th District, Berkeley County, Virginia, roll 936, pg 418, family #1565.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
Return to HFA Home Page
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]