┌── Samuel Hanshaw
┌── (unknown) Hanshew ──┤
│ └── Eve -
David H. Hanshaw ─────────┤
B: 1844 │
D: 1910 │
└── Jemima -
M: Julia Ann Bruce
├── Richard Henry Hanshaw (1865-?) 1,2
├── Alger Paniltin Hanshaw (1867-1945) 1,2
├── Losha Hanshaw (c1869-?) 1,2
M: Elisabeth A. Spradling
├── Mary J. Hanshaw (1871-?) 1,3,4
├── Lillie P. Henshaw (1875-?) 1,3
├── Martha Hanshaw (1878-?) 1,4
├── David Crockitt Hanshaw (1883-1970) 4,5
├── George Hanshaw (1884-?) 4
├── Lintha L. Hanshaw (1888-?) 1,4
└── Samuel Hanshaw (1891-) 4
David H. Hanshaw [ID 02279]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
David H. Hanshaw2,3,5 [David H. Handshaw3,6, David H. Hanshew7,8].
Born Dec - 1844, Virginia.2,7,8
David was a Civil War veteran, having served in the 173rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry.9
He married Julia Ann Bruce, Jul 11 1864, Lawrence County, Ohio.3,6,10
It appears that Julia probably died before 1870, as she was not shown with the family in the 1870 census.11
David and family were shown in the 1870 census (Jul 20 1870), Lawrence County, Ohio:2
Hanshaw, David H, age 25, born in Virginia; common laborer.
Living next door in 1870 was the family of brother Richard;12 one more house away was the family of brother Ballard;13 one more house away was the family of widowed sister Ellenor.14
He then married Elisabeth A. Spradling3 [Elizabeth Spradlin5], Nov 18 18713, Lawrence County, Ohio3. Elisabeth was born Jan - 1853, Ohio.4
David and Elizabeth were divorced.4
David was shown in the 1900 census (Jun 6 1900), apparently boarding in the household of a Minerva Marcum in Mingo County, West Virginia:8
Hanshew, David H., [apparently a boarder], age 55, born Dec 1844 in Virginia; parents born in Virginia; married, married 35 years; occupation: lumberman.
Living next door in 1900 was the family of brother Preston.15
Elizabeth and children were shown in the 1900 census (Jun 15 1900), Wayne County, West Virginia:4
Hanshaw, Elizabeth, head-of-household, age 47, born June 1853 in Ohio; father born in Virginia; mother born in Kentucky; divorced; 11 children, 7 living; rented farm.
, daughter, age 22, born Feb 1878 in West Virginia; parents born in Ohio.
, son, age 17, born Feb 1883 in West Virginia; parents born in Ohio; occupation: farm laborer; cannot write.
, son, age 16, born Mar 1884 in West Virginia; parents born in Ohio; occupation: farm laborer; cannot write.
Hanshaw, Lintha L.
, daughter, age 12, born Jan 1888 in West Virginia; parents born in Ohio; attended school 3 months.
, son, age 8, born Sept 1891 in West Virginia; parents born in Ohio; attended school 2 months.
Adkins, Mary J.
, daughter, age 28, born Mar 1872 in Ohio; parents born in Ohio; widow; 2 children, 2 living.
, granddaughter, age 7, born Jan 1893 in West Virginia; father born in West Virginia; mother born in Ohio.
Adkins, Geo. A.
, grandson, age 5, born Oct 1894 in West Virginia; father born in West Virginia; mother born in Ohio.
Bailey, Leafy [unclear], granddaughter, age 2, born Jan 1898 in West Virginia; parents born in West Virginia.
David H. Hanshaw died Dec 8 1910, Ironton, Lawrence County, Ohio; age 65.1
See also: William Franklin Henshaw whose family was connected with Lawrence County, Ohio. Possible father of David.
See also: Malinda Handshaw who was married at about the same time period, also in Lawrence County, Ohio. Possible sibling.
See also the following who might be an additional child:
- Patrick Steele genealogy database: http://www.steelegenealogy.20m.com.
- 1870 census, Ironton P.O., Fayette Township, Lawrence County, Ohio; roll M593-1231, page 319, line #30, dwelling #373, family #373.
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Ohio.
- 1900 census, Union District, Wayne County, West Virginia; roll T623-1775, ED 118, page 7A, line #1, dwelling #109, family #109.
- Contribution from Mary Ann Aaron citing:
Death certificate for David Crockitt Hanshaw.
- Lawrence County Marriage Index, Book 8, Dec 1862 - Apr 1866; pg 196
"The Lawrence Register": http://lawrencecountyohio.com/marriages/marriages/8/bride8_ac.htm.
- 1850 census, Tazewell County, Virginia; roll 979, page 259, dwelling #608.
- 1900 census, Harvey District, Mingo County, West Virginia; roll T623-1766, ED 89, page 9A, line #26, dwelling #160, family #170.
- Lawrence County Civil War Veterans; "The Lawrence Register":
- "The Lawrence Register": http://lawrencecountyohio.com/marriages/8/marr8.htm.
- Contribution from Patrick Steele () citing:
1870 census, Lawrence County, Ohio; dwelling #373.
- 1870 census, Ironton P.O., Fayette Township, Lawrence County, Ohio; roll M593-1231, page 319, line #35, dwelling #374, family #374.
- 1870 census, Ironton P.O., Fayette Township, Lawrence County, Ohio; roll M593-1231, page 319, line #39, dwelling #375, family #375.
- 1870 census, Ironton P.O., Fayette Township, Lawrence County, Ohio; roll M593-1231, page 320, line #2, dwelling #376, family #376.
- 1900 census, Harvey District, Mingo County, West Virginia; roll T623-1766, ED 89, page 9A, line #15, dwelling #159, family #169.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2017, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]