+-- Absolom Hinshaw | 1752-1830 +-- Jacob Hinshaw --+ | 1787-1832 | | +-- Elizabeth Hinshaw | c1753-1833 Elias Hinshaw ---------+ B: 1827 | +-- Charles Davis D: 1893 | | +-- Mary Davis -----+ 1796-1874 | +-- Hannah Piggott M: Martitia Macon +-- Isaiah Manley Hinshaw, 1854-1925 +-- Jacob Lindley Hinshaw, 1855-1904 +-- John Randolph Hinshaw, 1857-1935 +-- Stephen Frances Hinshaw, 1858-1938 +-- Thomas Benoni Hinshaw, 1860-1860 +-- Eli Newlin Hinshaw, 1861-1940 +-- George Franklin Hinshaw, 1863-1939 +-- Ahijah Goldsmith Hinshaw, 1865-1938 +-- Levi Clarkson Hinshaw, 1867-1944 +-- Mary Hinshaw, 1869-1871 M: Elizabeth Ann Davis
|Elias Hinshaw     [ID 00241]||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view:|
Born 1-15-1827, Holly Spring MM, North Carolina.2,95,205,a,b
He married Martitia Macon, Apr 14 1853, Holly Spring MM, Randolph County, North Carolina.2,44,205,c    Martitia Macon, daughter of Thomas Macon & Rosanna Moffitt, was born May 2 1830, North Carolina.205,d,e,a,b
Note: Martitia's grandfather Gideon Macon's second wife had been Elias' aunt Rebecca Hinshaw.
At Holly Spring MM on 11-19-1853, Elias condemned his marriage contrary to discipline.2
At Holly Spring MM on 4-17-1858, Elias was chosen Overseer.2
Elias and family were shown in the 1860 census (Jul 14 1860), Randolph County, North Carolina:a
At Holly Spring MM on 11-21-1863, Martitia was "received in membership".2
At Holly Spring MM in October of 1865 this minute was recorded:167
This meeting appoints Thomas Hinshaw, David Cox, Elias Macon, Charles Cox, Levi Cox, G.W.Wright, Isaac B. Fesmire, Elias Hinshaw, Jeremiah Piggott, Sen., Neri Cox & Michael Cox to look out suitable places for schools and also to set up schools among us as thought best.
At Holly Spring MM on 4-20-1867, Elias & wife Martitia, and children Isaiah M., Jacob L., John R., Stephen F., Eli N., George F., & Abijah G. were granted certificated to Greenwood MM, Hamilton County, Indiana.2
At Greenwood MM on 7-31-1867, Elias, wife Martitia & minor children Isaiah H., Jacob L., John R., Stephen F., Eli N., George F., & Abijah G.    were received on a certificate from Holly Spring MM, N.C. - endorsed to Westfield MM.53
Elias and family were shown in the 1870 census (Jun 29 1870), Washington Township, Hamilton County, Indiana:b
He then married Elizabeth Ann Davis, May 30 1880, Hamilton County, Indiana.f,g,h,78,190    Elizabeth was born about 1846, North Carolina.h
Elias and family were shown in the 1880 census (Jun 29 1880), Washington Township, Hamilton County, Indiana:h
Elias Hinshaw died May 30 1893, buried Friends Cemetery, Rose Hill, Butler County, Kansas.j,205
Photo: Elias Hinshaw & Elizabeth Ann Davis g
Photo: Elias Hinshaw gravestone Friends Cemetery g
2. "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy", by William Wade Hinshaw, in many well-stocked libraries.
44. The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS) International Genealogical Index (IGI) - North Carolina.
53. "Abstracts of the Records of the Society of Friends in Indiana", Part 6, subtitled "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Volume VII", (a compendium of many of the records left by William Wade Hinshaw on his death), edited by Willard Heiss; GS929.3 H47 in a local library.
78. The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS) computerized Ancestral File.
95. "Charles and Hannah (Matson) Davis and their descendants" by Earl H. Davis, microfilm #1011836, Item 2, in the LDS Family History Library.
167. "Friends at Holly Spring" by Seth B. Hinshaw, 1982, The North Carolina Friends Historical Society, Briarpatch Press, Davidson, North Carolina.
190. "The Hinshaw Family", an extensive family history manuscript by Heather Hinshaw-Tomas
205. "Hinshaw Family": a collection of family group sheets by Edna Harvey Joseph; LDS FHL microfilm #1572018 items 8-10 and #1572019 items 1-4
(a) 1860 census, Moffetts Mills P.O., Eastern Division, Randolph County, North Carolina; roll M653-910, page 249, line #23, dwelling #309, family #309.
(b) 1870 census, Eagletown P.O., Washington Township, Hamilton County, Indiana; roll M593-319, page 199, line #13, dwelling #331, family #326.
(c) North Carolina Marriage Collection, 1741-2000; http://www.ancestry.com.
(d) Contribution from Carol Lawrence Vidales.
(e) "The Genealogical Journal", Randolph County [NC] Genealogical Society, Vol VI, Number 1, Winter 1982.
(f) Indiana Marriages, 1845-1920; http://www.ancestry.com (Book 6, page 192).
(h) 1880 census, Washington Township, Hamilton County, Indiana; roll T9-0281, ED 37, page 383A, line #16, dwelling #376, family #379.
(i) Telephone interview with Arlene Hinshaw Johnson.
(j) Contribution from Daryl Bowers Hinshaw.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
Return to HFA Home Page
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]