┌── Benjamin Hinshaw
┌── Jacob A. Hinshaw ──┤
│ 1778-1826 │
│ └── Elisabeth Hinshaw
Rachel Hinshaw ───┤
B: 1820 │ ┌── John Allen
D: 1874 │ │
└── Phebe Allen ───────┤
└── Rachel Stout
M: Tilnias Hodgin
Rachel Hinshaw [ID 00249]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Born 11-18-1820, Holly Spring MM, North Carolina.1,2,3,4,5
She married Tilnias Hodgin2,3,4,6 [Nathan Tilnias Hodgin7, Nathan Tilman Hobson8], 3-25-18412,3,4,6, Lynn MH, Cherry Grove MM, Indiana2,3,4,6. Tilnias, son of Joseph Hodgin & Ruth Dix, was born Jun 12 1817.3,5,9,10,11
Note Rachel's brother Solomon married Tilnias's sister Rachel Hodgin.
Cyrus Wilburn Hodgin (1842-1908), married Emily C. Chandler
Joseph N. Hodgin (1844-1912), married Martha A. Lewelling (1845-1876)
Elias M. Hodgin (1845-1893), married Rachel E. Lewelling (1849-)
Phebe Alice Hodgin (1853-)
James O. Hodgin (1856-)
Charles E. Hodgin (1858-)
Emma E. Hodgin (1860-)
William P. Hodgin (1863-)
(Also a possible son Robert).
Rachel and family were shown in the 1860 census, Washington Township, Randolph County, Indiana:12
Tilnias Hodgin, age 42, born in North Carolina; farmer; $2000 real estate; $600 personal property.
Rachael Hodgin, age 37, born in North Carolina.
Cyrus W Hodgin, age 18, born in Indiana; attended school.
Joseph Hodgin, age 15, born in Indiana; attended school.
Elias M Hodgin, age 13, born in Indiana; attended school.
Phebe A Hodgin, age 7, born in Indiana; attended school.
James A Hodgin, age 5, born in Indiana.
Charles E Hodgin, age 2, born in Indiana.
Emma N Hodgin, age 4 months, born in Indiana.
Living two houses away in 1860 was the family of Timothy Hinshaw.13 Also living nearby in 1860 was the family of Mary E. Hinshaw Daly.14
Rachel Hinshaw died Jun 13 1874, Earlham, Richmond County, Indiana.4,5,9,11
After Rachel died, Tilnias remarried to his sister-in-law, Amy (North) Hinshaw, widow of Rachel's brother Solomon.11
Tilnias and family were shown in the 1880 census (Jun 17 1880), Wayne Township, Wayne County, Indiana:15
Hodgin, Tilnias, age 63, born in North Carolina; parents born in North Carolina; toll gate keeper.
Hodgin, Amy, wife, age 51, born in North Carolina; parents born in North Carolina; keeping house.
Hodgin, William P., son, age 17, born in Indiana; parents born in North Carolina.
Hodgin, Charles E., son, age 21, born in Indiana; parents born in North Carolina; at school.
North, Hannah, sister-in-law, age 41, born in Indiana; parents born in North Carolina.
Tilnias died Jan 13 1884, Earlham, Richmond County, Indiana.5,9,11
- "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy",
by William Wade Hinshaw, in many well-stocked libraries.
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Indiana.
- "Abstracts of the Records of the Society of Friends in Indiana", Part 2,
subtitled "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Volume VII",
(a compendium of many of the records left by William Wade Hinshaw on
his death), edited by Willard Heiss; GS929.3 H47 in a local library.
- "Webster Parry's Abstracts of Quaker Records", LDS microfilm #0367987
- Julie Anne Ward () database:
- "Index of Indiana Marriages Through 1850", Indiana State Library, Genealogy Division:
- "The Hinshaw Family", an extensive family history manuscript by Heather Hinshaw-Tomas
- The old family bible of Chester Edward Hinshaw, containing family
lineage information recorded by Rosina Harriet Hinshaw,
contributed by Marion Hinshaw and Heather Hinshaw-Tomas.
- Family lineage contributed by Edwin Everett Hinshaw
- "Twentieth Century Biographical Dictionary of Notable Americans",
Johnson, Rossiter, ed.; The Biographical Society, 1904.
- "Hinshaw Family": a collection of family group sheets by Edna Harvey Joseph;
LDS FHL microfilm #1572018 items 8-10 and #1572019 items 1-4
- 1860 census, Washington Township, Randolph County, Indiana; page 719, line #1, dwelling #184, household #178.
- 1860 census, Washington Township, Randolph County, Indiana; page 719, line #14, dwelling #186, household #180.
- 1860 census, Washington Township, Randolph County, Indiana; page 719, line #32, dwelling #188, household #182.
- 1880 census, Wayne Township, Wayne County, Indiana; roll T9-0322, ED 68, page 236C, line #2, dwelling #198, family #205.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Thu Oct 20 12:33:26 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2019, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]