┌── Elias Hinshaw
William Lucas Hinshaw ──────┤
B: 1823 │ ┌── Katherine Martin
D: 1890 │ │
└── Sarah Williams ──┤
└── Benjamin Williams
M: Nancy I. -
M: Mary Elizabeth Ledington
├── Lucinda Alice Hinshaw (1859-1890) 1,2
├── Amanda Hinshaw (1861-c1865) 1
├── Joseph Clayton Hinshaw (1863-1938) 1,2
└── George Washington Hinshaw (1865-1920) 1,2
M: Rachel -
William Lucas Hinshaw [ID 02628]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
William Lucas Hinshaw3 [Lucas Hinshaw1, William Henshaw4, William Hanshaw5].
Born 1823, Highland County, Ohio.1,6,7,8,9,10,11
William made several overland trips across the plains.6 His gravemarker is engraved with "Wagon Train Pilot".11
He married Nancy I. -, 1850.1,12,13 Nancy was born about 1830, Virginia.7,12
William and Nancy were shown in the 1850 census (Oct 2 1850), Madison County, Iowa, apparently living on his parents' farm as they were shown living with William's widowed mother Sarah and several siblings:12
William Henshaw, age 25, born in Ohio; farmer; married within the year.
Nancy I. Henshaw, age 19, born in Virginia; married within the year.
, age 59, born in North Carolina; cannot read or write.
William and family were shown in the 1851 Iowa state census, Madison County, Iowa:14
William Henshaw; 3 persons total in household.
William and family were shown in the 1854 Iowa state census, Madison County, Iowa:15
Williams Hinshaw household:
3 persons total in household.
William and Nancy were shown in the 1856 Iowa state census, Madison County, Iowa:7
William Hinshaw, age 32, born in Ohio; resident of Iowa 7 years; farmer; native voter; militia; owner of land; 54 acres of improved land, 146 acres of unimproved land.
Nancy Hinshaw, age 26, born in Virginia; resident of Iowa 7 years.
, age 23, born in Indiana; resident of Iowa 7 years; farmer; native voter; militia; owner of land; 160 acres of unimproved land.
He then married Mary Elizabeth Ledington, Sep 19 1858, Platte County, Missouri.1,3,5,16,17 Mary, daughter of Jeremiah Ledington & Mary "Lucy" Ruth1, was born about 18421, Missouri1 [Kentucky8].
William and family were shown in the 1860 census (Jun 11 1860), Madison County, Iowa:8
William Hinshaw, age 36, born in Ohio; farmer; $1200 real estate; $250 personal property.
Mary E Hinshaw, age 18, born in Kentucky.
Mary died about 1866, Kansas.1
Widower William and family were shown in the 1870 census (Aug 30 1870), Madison County, Iowa; living with them was William's sister Rebecca:9
Henshaw, William, age 46, born in Ohio; farmer; $1000 real estate; $500 personal property.
He then married Rachel -.3
William was shown in the 1880 census (Jun 12-14 1880), living in the household of nephew Sanford Hinshaw in Douglas Precinct, Polk County, Oregon:10
Hinshaw, William, uncle, age 57, born in Ohio; father born in North Carolina; mother born in Tennessee; widower; farmer.
William Lucas Hinshaw died 1890, Drift Creek, Lincoln County, Oregon; buried Toledo Cemetery, Toledo, Lincoln County, Oregon.1,3,11,18
See also: William F. Hinshaw who married a Rachel in 1866.
See also: Ellis Hinshaw who was also married in Platte County, Missouri about this same time.
See also: Lydia Henshaw who was also married in Platte County, Missouri about this same time.
Photo: William Lucas Hinshaw
Photo: William Lucas Hinshaw grave marker Toledo Cemetery
- Contribution from Sherry Fleischer ().
- 1870 census, Madison Township, Madison County, Iowa; page 71B, line #8, dwelling #92, family #92.
- Contribution from Lucille Bigelow ().
- 1850 census, Madison County, Iowa; page 140A, line #11, dwelling #729, family #784.
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Missouri.
- "The Brazen Overlanders of 1845", by Donna M. Wojcik,
contributed by Lucille Bigelow ().
- 1856 Iowa state census, Union Township, Madison County, Iowa; http://www.ancestry.com.
- 1860 census, Jefferson Township, Madison County, Iowa; roll M653-333; page 11, line #37, dwelling #84, family #84:
- 1870 census, Earlham P.O., Madison Township, Madison County, Iowa; roll M593-407, page 71B, line #8, dwelling #92, family #92.
- 1880 census, Douglas Precinct, Polk County, Oregon; roll T9-1083, ED 103, page 454A, line #16, dwelling #103, family #104.
- Grave marker photo courtesy of Anne Trussell ().
- 1850 census, Madison County, Iowa; roll M432-187, page 140A, line #11, dwelling #727, family #784.
- Posting Dec 21 2001 by Elvina Hiatt () to the Hinshaw GenForum:
- 1851 Iowa state census, Madison County, Iowa; http://www.ancestry.com.
- 1854 Iowa state census, Union Township, Madison County, Iowa; http://www.ancestry.com.
- "Missouri Marriages 1851-1900" (www.ancestry.com).
- "Missouri, 1851-1900 Marriage Index".
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Wed Oct 26 10:34:07 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2019, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]