┌── William Hinshaw
┌── Thomas Doane Hinshaw ──┤
│ 1835-1911 │
│ └── Matilda Bewley Doane
Levi Ephraim Hinshaw, MD ───┤
B: 1864 │ ┌── Levi Lundy
D: 1942 │ │
└── Anna Harriet Lundy ────┤
└── Sarah Wickersham
M: Addie Minerva Bates
├── Olive Hinshaw (1888-1889) 1,2,3
└── Edith Adelle Hinshaw (1891-1974) 1,2,4,5
M: Della C. Shafer-Bement
Levi Ephraim Hinshaw, MD [ID 00283]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Born Nov 27 1864, Hardin County, Iowa.1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10
He married Addie Minerva Bates1,2,4,6,8 [Minerva A. Bates11,12], Sep 16 18891,2,4,6,8. Addie, daughter of William B. Bates & Minerva J. Valentine, was born Jan 23 1867, Hardin County, Iowa.2,4,11,12
Addie died Apr - 1896, Hardin County, Iowa.2,4
Widower Levi was shown in the 1900 census (Jun 22 1900), living alone in Spirit Lake, Dickinson County, Iowa:10
Hinshaw, L.E., head-of-household, age 36, born [..month unclear..] 1864 in Iowa; father born in Tennessee; mother born in Indiana; single; occupation: physician.
He then married Della C. Shafer-Bement1,2,4,6,7 [Della C. Schaefer-Bement1, Della C. Shafer7], Sep 14 19021,2,4,6,7, Hardin County, Iowa1,2,4,6,7. Della was born Nov 9 1868, Beardstown, Cass County, Illinois.2,4,5 Della had been previously married and had a son, Ira H. Shafer.5
Levi and family were shown in the 1910 census (Apr 29 1910), 3152 Walnut Street, Chicago, Illinois:5
Hinshaw, Levi E., head-of-household, age 45, born in Iowa; father born in Tennessee; mother born in Indiana; second marriage, married 8 years; occupation: physician, general practice; rented home.
Hinshaw, Della, wife, age 41, born in Illinois; parents born in Germany; second marriage, married 8 years; 1 child, 1 living.
, daughter, age 19, born in Iowa; parents born in Iowa; single; occupation: teacher, music; attended school.
Frank, Lillian, boarder, age 37, born in Iowa; parents born in Germany; single; occupation: bookkeeper, piano store.
Bement, Ira H., stepson, age 21, born in Illinois; parents born in Illinois; single; occupation: farming, father's farm.
Shafer, Auguste, mother, age 81, born in Germany; parents born in Germany; immigrated 1855; widow; 1 child, 1 living; occupation: own income.
In 1911 Levi was living at 1513 West Madison St, Chicago, Illinois.13 Levi also lived in De Ruyter, New York.2
Levi Ephraim Hinshaw, MD died Jan 21 19423 [Jan 20 19422], New York3; buried row 5, plot 12, Chester Cemetery, Providence Township, Hardin County, Iowa3.
Photo: Levi Ephraim Hinshaw
Photo: Della C. Shafer-Bement
Photo: Levi about age 6 with parents and family
- "Johnston of Caskieben, Crimond, and Caiesmill" by Lorand V. Johnson,
microfilm #0982174, Item 1, in the LDS Family History Library.
- "Hinshaw Family": a collection of family group sheets by Edna Harvey Joseph;
LDS FHL microfilm #1572018 items 8-10 and #1572019 items 1-4
- Gravestone inscriptions, Chester Cemetery, Providence Township, Hardin County, Iowa; USGenWeb Archives:
- "The Hinshaw and Henshaw Families", by William Hinshaw;
edited by Milo Custer; private printing, Bloomington, Illinois, 1911;
Frank I. Miller Co., printers. LDS microfilm number 1402822.
- 1910 census, 14th Ward, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois; roll T624-256, ED 1562, page 278A, line #19, dwelling #52, family #84.
- "The Landed Gentry", by Burke.
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Iowa.
- "The William Wade Hinshaw Index to [Iowa] Quaker Meeting Records",
a microfiche in the LDS Family History Library.
- Contribution from Nicole Wing citing:
Inscription on the back of a family photo, written by Anna Marie Hinshaw.
- 1900 census, Spirit Lake, Center Grove Township, Dickinson County, Iowa; roll T623-429, ED 35, page 16A, line #27, dwelling #328, family #332.
- 1870 census, Eldora P.O., Union Township, Hardin County, Iowa; roll M593-394, page 503, line #5, dwelling #1, family #1.
- 1880 census, Union Township, Hardin County, Iowa; roll T9-0343, ED 127, page 508C, line #17, dwelling #236, family #243.
- Obituary of Thomas Doane Hinshaw, Dec 7 1911.
- Photo from the book "The Hinshaw and Henshaw Families", 1911.
- Photo courtesy of Nicole Wing.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Thu Oct 20 12:33:26 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2017, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]