┌── William Hinshaw
┌── Thomas Doane Hinshaw ──┤
│ 1835-1911 │
│ └── Matilda Bewley Doane
Marvin Victor Hinshaw ────────────┤
B: 1873 │ ┌── Levi Lundy
D: 1954 │ │
└── Anna Harriet Lundy ────┤
└── Sarah Wickersham
M: Maude Martha McNay
├── Sadie Alice Hinshaw (1895-1981) 1,2,3,4,5
M: Della Grace Amerson
├── Florence Harriett Hinshaw (1901-) 1,2,6,7
├── Della Grace Hinshaw (1903-1959) 1,2,6,7
├── Madeline Mae Hinshaw (1905-) 2,6
└── Marvin Victor Hinshaw (1907-1984) 1,2,6,7
M: Ebba Gerda Florence Lindestrom
Marvin Victor Hinshaw [ID 00285]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Born Sep 23 1873, Hardin County, Iowa.1,2,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14
He married Maude Martha McNay2,8,15,16,17,18 [Martha Maude McNay19], Jan 30 18942,8,15,16,17,18, United Methodist Church, Valparaiso, Porter County, Indiana2,8,15,16,17,18. Maude, daughter of Robert McNay & Martha Ann Collins, was born May 12 1874, Valparaiso, Porter County, Indiana.18 Marriage by Rev. Allen Lewis.16
Marvin and Maude divorced.20 Maude remarried to Hadsell Alden Mills,20 Jun 14 1899, Valparaiso, Porter County, Indiana.18 She then had additional children:
Maud Opal Mills, born Aug 23 1900, Morgan County, Ohio; married William Albert Tennis.
Mona Nita Mills, born Nov 24 1902, Morgan County, Ohio; died 1977; married John Sherman Tennis (children: John Sherman Tennis, Jr., c1919; Shirley Annalee Tennis, Sep 21 1920, died Apr 1983, married Otto Kenneth Adler; Jerry A. Tennis, c1932; Harriet R. Tennis, c1934).
20,21,22Maude died Mar 13 1937, Kansas City, Jackson County, Missouri; buried Green Lawn Cemetery, 8251 Hillcrest Rd., Kansas City, Missouri.18
He then married Della Grace Amerson, Aug 8 1900, Lone Tree Point, Antrim County, Michigan.1,2,8,9,17,23 Della, daughter of William Amerson & Matilda Harriett Schaubel, was born about 1880, Illinois.1,6,10,24,25
Marvin and his brother ran the Chicago Conservatory of Music and Dramatic Art.4,5 In 1902 Marvin was with the "Hinshaw School of Elocution, Oratory and Music", and was Director of "The Hinshaw School of Opera and Drama", then located in the Steinway Theatre Building in Chicago.26
Marvin and family were shown in the 1910 census (Apr 25 1910), 1010 East 7th Avenue, Denver, Colorado:6
Hinshaw, Marvin V., head-of-household, age 36, born in Iowa; father born in Tennessee; mother born in Indiana; first marriage, married 10 years; occupation: teacher, voice; rented home.
Hinshaw, Della A., wife, age 30, born in Illinois; father born in England; mother born in Germany; first marriage, married 10 years; 4 children, 4 living.
Hinshaw, Thomas D.
, father, age 74, born in Tennessee; parents born in Tennessee; widower.
Hinshaw, Florence H.
, daughter, age 8, born in Illinois; father born in Iowa; mother born in Illinois; attended school.
Hinshaw, Della G.
, daughter, age 6, born in Illinois; father born in Iowa; mother born in Illinois; attended school.
Hinshaw, Madaline M.
, daughter, age 5, born in Illinois; father born in Iowa; mother born in Illinois; attended school.
In 1911 Marvin was living in Chicago, Illinois.27
On Sep 12 1918 Marvin Victor Hinshaw, age 44, registered for the World War I draft in Chicago. His residence was recorded as 725 N. Central, Chicago. He was recorded as tall, medium build, dark gray eyes, dark brown hair; occupation: music teacher, Kimball Building, Chicago.14
Marvin and family were shown in the 1920 census (Jan 5 1920) living at 725 N. Central Ave., Chicago, Illinois:7
Hinshaw, Marvin V, head-of-household, age 46, born in Iowa; father born in Pennsylvania [sic]; mother born in Virginia [sic]; rented home; occupation: musician, Kimball Hall.
Hinshaw, Della A, wife, age 39, born in Illinois; father born in England; mother born in Germany.
Hinshaw, Della G
, daughter, age 16, born in Illinois; father born in Iowa; mother born in Illinois; attended school.
Hinshaw, Madeline M
, daughter, age 14, born in Illinois; father born in Iowa; mother born in Illinois; attended school.
Hinshaw, Marvin V
, son, age 12, born in Colorado; father born in Iowa; mother born in Illinois; attended school.
Cary, George R
, son-in-law, age 20, born in Illinois; father born in New York; mother born in Illinois; occupation: broker, [unclear].
Cary, Harriet H
, daughter, age 18, born in Illinois; father born in Iowa; mother born in Illinois.
Hinshaw, John A
, brother, age 39, born in Iowa; father born in Pennsylvania [sic]; mother born in Virginia [sic]; widower; occupation: musician, Kimball Hall.
Olsen, Selma R., maid, age 25, born in Norway; immigrated in 1912; single; occupation: maid, private family.
Marvin and Della were divorced sometime before 1929.12,28 Della and daughter Madge were shown in the 1930 census (Apr 7 1930), 547 Franklin Ave., River Forest, Cook County, Illinois:28
Hinshaw, Della A., head-of-household, age 49, born in Illinois; father born in England; mother born in Germany; divorced, first married at age 20; owned home ($22,000 value); radio in home; occupation: saleslady, real estate.
Hinshaw, Madge M.
, daughter, age 25, born in Illinois; father born in Iowa; mother born in Illinois; single; occupation: fileing clerk, bank.
Adams, John, roomer, age 25, born in Illinois; father born in Kentucky; mother born in New York; single; occupation: driver, Yellow cab.; not a veteran.
Della died Jun 26 1933, River Forest, Cook County, Illinois; buried Forest Home.29,30
He then married Ebba Gerda Florence Lindestrom2 [Florence Lindstrom8,12,13,17], 19292. Ebba was born Jan 28 1891, Illinois.12,13,18,31
Marvin and Florence were shown in the 1930 census (Apr 16 1930) 1321 Touhy Ave., Chicago, Illinois:12
Hinshaw, Marvin V, head-of-household, age 56, born in Iowa; father born in Tennessee; mother born in Ohio; first married at age 19; rented home ($55 rent); occupation: teacher, music; not a veteran.
Hinshaw, Florence, wife, age 39, born in Illinois; parents born in Sweden; first married at age 17; occupation: teacher, drama.
Not long after his third marriage, Marvin suffered several strokes and was an invalid from then on, eventually bedridden, largely paralyzed and unable to speak clearly. Florence nursed him until his death.20 They apparently retired to South Dakota.13
Marvin and Florence were shown in the 1940 census (Apr 18-20 1940) 501 Huron Grand Capital, Pierre, Hughes County, South Dakota:13
Hinshaw, Marvin V, head-of-household, age 66, born in Iowa; completed 4 years of college; owned home ($8000 value); occupation: rancher and promoter.
Hinshaw, Florence, wife, age 48, born in Illinois; completed 2 years of college.
Marvin Victor Hinshaw died Jul 28 1954, Los Angeles County, California; age 80 years.11,18
In 1993 Florence was living in/near Marshfield, Wood County, Wisconsin.31
Ebba died Feb 24 1993, Wood County, Wisconsin; buried Riverside Cemetery, Pierre, Hughes County, South Dakota.18,31,32
Photo: Marvin Victor Hinshaw
Photo: Della Grace Amerson
Photo: Marvin Victor Hinshaw
Photo: daughters Florence Harriett, Madeline and Della Grace, c1905
Photo: Della Grace Amerson death notice "Chicago Tribune", Jun 27 1933
Photo: The Hinshaw School of Opera and Drama advertisement from a 1902 book
Photo: Chicago Conservatory of Music and Dramatic Art postcard, 1906
Social Security information for Ebba Gerda Florence Lindestrom: 503-18-9406
- "The Hinshaw and Henshaw Families", by William Hinshaw;
edited by Milo Custer; private printing, Bloomington, Illinois, 1911;
Frank I. Miller Co., printers. LDS microfilm number 1402822.
- "Johnston of Caskieben, Crimond, and Caiesmill" by Lorand V. Johnson,
microfilm #0982174, Item 1, in the LDS Family History Library.
- Contribution from Nicole Wing citing:
Information from a photo album belonging to sister Lydia's daughter Valera.
- Contribution from Nicole Wing.
- Posting Mar 10 1998 by Ila Millard Tenny () on the Hinshaw GenForum:
- 1910 census, 14th Ward, Precince 1, Denver, Denver County, Colorado; roll T624-117, ED 177, page 8B, line #69, dwelling #113, family #117.
- 1920 census, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois; roll T625-353, ED 2122, page 3B, line #53, dwelling #46, family #65.
- "The Landed Gentry", by Burke.
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Iowa.
- "Hinshaw Family": a collection of family group sheets by Edna Harvey Joseph;
LDS FHL microfilm #1572018 items 8-10 and #1572019 items 1-4
- RootsWeb California Death Index:
- 1930 census, Ward 49, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois; roll T626-493, ED 1856, page 20A, line #21, dwelling #97, family #369.
- 1940 census, Pierre, Hughes County, South Dakota; roll T627-3857, ED 33-10, page 62A, line #31, household #41.
- World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Indiana, United Methodist Church Records, 1837-1970; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Indiana, Marriage Collection, 1800-1941; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Contribution from Dee March ().
- Contribution from Ila Millard Tenny ().
- Contribution from Edward Tenny ().
- Ohio, Births and Christenings Index, 1800-1962; http://www.ancestry.com.
- 1940 census, Mission, Johnson County, Kansas; roll T627-1237, ED 46-9A, page 3A, line #3, household #51.
- Michigan, Marriage Records, 1867-1952; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Contribution from Elene Porter ().
- "Chicago, its history and its builders : a century of marvelous growth"; http://www.ancestry.com.
- eBay listing Nov 15 2001 of "Best Recitations / Readings, Declamations and Plays", a 1902 book by Richard Linthicum;
- Obituary of Thomas Doane Hinshaw, Dec 7 1911.
- 1930 census, River Forest, Cook County, Illinois; roll T626-508, ED 2338, page 16A, line #27, dwelling #141, family #159.
- State of Illinois; Database of Illinois Death Certificates, 1916-1950:
- Historical Newspapers, Birth, Marriage, & Death Announcements, 1851-2003; http://www.ancestry.com.
- "Social Security Death Index" (as it is commonly called), derived from
the Social Security Administration "Death Master File".
- Wisconsin Death Index, 1959-1997; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Photo from the book "The Hinshaw and Henshaw Families", 1911.
- Photo courtesy of Alison Tenny ().
- Photo courtesy of Nicole Wing.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2018, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]