┌── William Hinshaw
┌── William Hinshaw ──┤
│ 1759-1807 │
│ └── Sarah Courtney
Ruth Hinshaw ─────┤
B: 1799 │ ┌── William Hunt
D: 1848 │ │
└── Margaret Hunt ────┤
└── Sarah Mills
M: Samuel Lee
M: Mordacai Ellis
Ruth Hinshaw [ID 00296]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Born 6-11-1799, Lost Creek MM, Jefferson County, Tennessee.1,2,3,4,5,6
She married Samuel Lee, 9-26-1818, Lost Creek MM, Jefferson County, Tennessee.1,2,3,7 Samuel was born Apr 16 1797.5
Margaret Lee, born Jun 22 1820; died Feb 15 1842.
John Lee, born Feb 6 1822, Indiana.
Ephraim Lee, born Nov 7 1823; married Elizabeth Jane Ledbetter.
Ezra Lee, born Oct 15 1825; married Zeralda Ann Thornburg.
Hannah Lee, born Dec 18 1827.
On 12-26-1818 Lost Creek Monthly Meeting of women friends recorded:10
On 1-30-1819 Lost Creek Monthly Meeting of women friends recorded:10
Ruth Lee requests for a Certificate to Newberry Monthly Meeting Ann Swain + Matilda Canaday are to make enquiry and if they find nothing to hinder, produce one to next meeting.
The friends appointed last meeting to prepare a Certificate for Ruth Lee produced one, which was approved of and signed.
Samuel died Sep 12 1827.5,8,9
Widow Ruth and family were shown in the 1830 census, Perry Township, Wayne County, Indiana:11
Ruth Lee household:
1 male under age 5.
2 males age 5-10.
1 male age 20-30.
1 female under age 5.
1 female age 10-15.
1 female age 30-40 [Ruth].
7 persons total in household.
She then married Mordacai Ellis, May 3 1831, Springfield MM, Wayne County, Indiana.3,4,5,12 Mordacai, son of Samuel Ellis & Kezia Worrell, was born Dec 19 1791, Jefferson County, Tennessee.4,5,6
Keziah Ellis, born Feb 12 1832; died Jan 1 1837.
Edith Ellis, born Sep 17/23/24 1833, Indiana; died Jun 20 1906, Wells County, Indiana; married Samuel H. Galyean (children: Mary Alice, Apr 16 1854; Tabitha Olive, Jul 25 1858; Martha Elizabeth, 1872; Thomas M.; John Lee; Ephraim M.; Samuel H.; Rachel C.).
Samuel Ellis, born Aug 17 1835; died Feb 14 1836.
Mary Ellis, born Jan 14 1837, Wayne County, Indiana; died May 27 1904, Economy, Wayne County, Indiana; married John Mills, Aug 18 1853, Wayne County, Indiana (child: Sarah Ruth Mills, Sep 27 1854 - Mar 2 1924).
Lucinda Ellis, born Dec 24 1839; died Feb 17 1842.
Martha Ellis, born Jun 12 1843, Wayne County, Indiana; died Aug 13 1880, Blue Springs, Nebraska; married John Harvey, Dec 25 1860, Wells County, Indiana (children: Cyrus, Nov 11 1861; Simeon "Sim" R., Jun 8 1864; Jesse Ellis, May 29 1867; Elizabeth Ellen, Jul 4 1871; Frank J., Feb 12 1875).
Mordecai had been previously married to Edith Perkins/Parkens, Dec 10 1812, Greene County, Tennessee,20,21 with whom he had a daughter, Esther Ellis.21
At Springfield MM on 8-18-1832 Mordecai Ellis was received on a certificate from Newberry MM, Tenn., dated 1831-11-5.13
At Springfield MM on 9-17-1853 Mary Mills (formerly Ellis) was reported married contrary to discipline.13
Ruth and family were shown in the 1840 census, Perry Township, Wayne County, Indiana:22
Mordica Ellis household:
1 male age 10-15.
2 males age 15-20.
1 male age 40-50 [Mordacai].
2 females under age 5.
1 female age 5-10.
1 female age 10-15.
1 female age 30-40 [Ruth].
9 persons total in household.
2 persons engaged in agriculture.
Ruth Hinshaw died Apr 28 1848, Springfield MM, Wayne County, Indiana.4,8,9,23
Mordecai and family were shown in the 1850 census (Aug 14 1850), Dalton Township, Wayne County, Indiana:6
Mordicai Ellis, age 58, born in Tennessee; farmer; $3000 real estate.
Ruth Ellis, age 50, born in Tennessee.
Edith Ellis, age 17, born in Indiana.
Mary Ellis, age 13, born in Indiana; attended school.
Martha Ellis, age 7, born in Indiana; attended school.
John Lee, age 27, born in Indiana; laborer.
Living next door in 1850 was the family of a James Ellis, age 25.24
Note that the Springfield MM records are fairly clear in showing Ruth's death date as 4-28-18488 yet Mordecai and children were shown in the 1850 census above with a Ruth of an age consistent with Ruth Hinshaw (Lee) Ellis. It is possible that perhaps Mordecai might have remarried to a different Ruth (of the same age!), but it seems more likely that Ruth's death date was recorded in error in the Springfield MM records.25
Mordacai died Mar 28 1853, Wayne County, Indiana.4
Daughter Martha was shown in the 1860 census (Jul 3 1860), living in the household of her sister Edith (Ellis) Galyean in Lancaster Township, Wells County, Indiana:16
Samuel H. Galyean, age 27, born in Indiana; farmer; $2500 real estate; $500 personal property.
Eda Galyean, age 26, born in Indiana.
Mary A. Galyean, age 6, born in Indiana.
Tabitha O. Galyean, age 2, born in Indiana.
Martha Ellis, age 17, born in Indiana; attended school.
- "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy",
by William Wade Hinshaw, in many well-stocked libraries.
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Tennessee.
- "Our Ancestry" - Family Records of Members of Blount County, Tennessee,
Genealogical & Historical Society, 1988, in the Tennessee State
Library and Archives. Contributed by Robert Worley.
- "Family Tree Maker, Family Archives, World Family Tree", Vol. 3,
by Broderbund Software, a collection of individual family group submissions.
- "Hinshaw Family": a collection of family group sheets by Edna Harvey Joseph;
LDS FHL microfilm #1572018 items 8-10 and #1572019 items 1-4
- 1850 census, Dalton Township, Wayne County, Indiana; roll M432-180, page 88, line #12, dwelling #192, family #192.
- "Tennessee Marriages to 1825" (www.ancestry.com).
- U.S., Quaker Meeting Records, 1681-1935; Springfield MM (Indiana); http://www.ancestry.com.
- Contribution from Dee March ().
- U.S., Quaker Meeting Records, 1681-1935; Lost Creek QM (Tennessee); http://www.ancestry.com.
- 1830 census, Perry Township, Wayne County, Indiana; roll 29, page 123.
- "The Hinshaw and Henshaw Families", by William Hinshaw;
edited by Milo Custer; private printing, Bloomington, Illinois, 1911;
Frank I. Miller Co., printers. LDS microfilm number 1402822.
- U.S., Hinshaw Index to Selected Quaker Records, 1680-1940; Springfield MM (Indiana); http://www.ancestry.com.
- RootsWeb WorldConnect data by Jerry ().
- RootsWeb WorldConnect data by Steven Travis ().
- 1860 census, Bluffton P.O., Lancaster Township, Wells County, Indiana; roll M653-309, page 856, line #19, dwelling #609, family #568.
- Ancestry Family Tree data "Drill Family Tree" posted by "KarenDrill44".
- Contribution from Kim (Loos) Shutway ().
- Indiana Marriage Collection, 1800-1941; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Tennessee Marriages to 1825; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Ancestry Family Tree data "Don Johnson Family Tree" posted by "Donald Johnson".
- 1840 census, Perry Township, Wayne County, Indiana; roll 98, page 275.
- "Bacher" database: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/8552/g0000148.htm.
- 1850 census, Dalton Township, Wayne County, Indiana; roll M432-180, page 88, line #18, dwelling #193, family #193.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2017, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]