┌── John Hinshaw
┌── Jesse Hinshaw ───┤
│ 1780-1853 │
│ └── Ruth (Pike) Weisner
Ruth Hinshaw ───┤
B: 1810 │ ┌── Jonathan Nathan Gifford
D: 1899 │ │
└── Eunice Gifford ──┤
└── Eunice Beard
M: John Newlin
Ruth Hinshaw [ID 00356]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Born 1-18-1810, Marlborough MM, Randolph County, North Carolina.1,2,3,4 Ruth was born on the same day as her third cousin, Evan Hinshaw.
She married John Newlin, 8-16-1827, Marlborough MM, Randolph County, North Carolina.1,2,5 John, son of Joshua Newlin & Achsah Vestal, was born 1806, Chatham County, North Carolina.5,6,7,8,9
Note that John's nephew, William Mitchell Newlin (son of his brother Nathan), married Ruth's half-sister Louisa.10
Children (all born in Indiana, probably Parke County):4,5,9,10
Malinda Newlin, born Aug 4 1828; died Oct 4 1838.
Jesse Newlin, born Aug 12 1830; died 1873; married Phoebe Ellis.
Eunice Newlin, born Oct 31 1832; married Oliver Carter.
John H. Newlin, born Sep 2 1836; died May 18 1907, Parke County, Indiana; married Sarah Jane Hobson, Nov 17 1853.
Ruth Newlin, born Jul 23 1838; married John Chapman.
Rhoda Newlin, born Jun 18 1842; married Calvin Hobson.
Joshua/Joshaway Newlin, born Oct 23 1845; died c1864, age 19.
William H. Newlin, born Aug 17 1849; died Apr 7 1873; married Samantha Campbell.
Ruth and family were shown in the 1840 census, Parke County, Indiana:13
John Newlin family:
1 male under age 5 (John Jr.).
1 male age 10-15 (Jesse).
1 male age 30-40 (John Sr.).
1 female under age 5 (Ruth).
1 female age 5-10 (Eunice).
1 female age 30-40 (Ruth).
Ruth and family were again shown in the 1850 census (Sep 9 1850), Washington Township, Parke County, Indiana:4
John Newlin, age 43, born in North Carolina; farmer; $4600 real estate.
Ruth Newlin, age 40, born in North Carolina.
Jesse Newlin, age 20, born in Indiana; farmer.
Eunice Newlin, age 18, born in Indiana; attended school.
John Newlin, age 14, born in Indiana.
Ruth Newlin, age 11, born in Indiana.
Rhoda Newlin, age 9, born in Indiana.
Joshaway Newlin, age 5, born in Indiana.
William Newlin, age 1, born in Indiana.
Ruth and family were again shown in the 1860 census (Aug 8 1860), Washington Township, Parke County, Indiana:14
John Newlin, age 52, born in North Carolina; farmer; $9000 real estate; $1275 personal property.
Ruth Newlin, age 50, born in North Carolina.
Joshua Newlin, age 15, born in Indiana; attended school.
Wm Newlin, age 11, born in Indiana; attended school.
Ruth and family were again shown in the 1870 census, Washington Township, Parke County, Indiana:15
Newlin, John, age 62, born in North Carolina; farmer; $9700 real estate; $2000 personal property.
Newlin, Ruth, age 59, born in Indiana; keeping house.
Newlin, William H., age 20, born in Indiana; farmer.
Newlin, Samantha, age 21, born in Indiana; keeping house.
Newlin, Alden, age 1, born in Indiana.
Ruth and family were again shown in the 1880 census (Jun 1880), Washington Township, Parke County, Indiana:16
Newlin, John, age 72, born in North Carolina; parents born in North Carolina; farmer; "maimed, crippled, bedridden or otherwise disabled".
Newlin, Ruth, wife, age 70, born in North Carolina; parents born in North Carolina; keeping house.
Newlin, Alden R., grandson, age 11, born in Indiana; parents born in Indiana; attended school.
Newlin, Edger, grandson, age 9, born in Indiana; parents born in Indiana; attended school.
Newlin, Mollie May, granddaughter, age 6, born in Indiana; parents born in Indiana; attended school.
John died 1884.6,17
Ruth Hinshaw died Jan 19 1899, Marshall, Parke County, Indiana; age 89.17,18
Ruth's obituary was published in "The American Friend" on February 16, 1899 (page 164).18
A biographical sketch of son John H. Newlin was published in the book "Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana" (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1893, page 325); see: http://www.rootsweb.com/~inparke/Biographies/NParkeBiographies.htm9
- "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy",
by William Wade Hinshaw, in many well-stocked libraries.
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
International Genealogical Index (IGI) - North Carolina.
- GEDCOM file g523.ged at http://www.ancestry.com, citing:
Brøderbund WFT Vol. 2, Ed. 1, Tree #4136, Date of Import: Aug 3, 1997.
- 1850 census, Washington Township, Parke County, Indiana; roll M432-164, page 195B, line #28, dwelling #543, family #543.
- GEDCOM file g523.ged at http://www.ancestry.com.
- Ray Maris database: http://www.maris.net/gen.
- Tony Mack Helms "Descendents of John Vestall": http://www.familytreemaker.com/users/h/e/l/Tony--M-Helms/ODT5-0013.html.
- Posting Sep 9 2000 by "Dianne" () to VESTAL-L.
- Biographical sketch of John H. Newlin; Parke County, Indiana, USGenWeb Archives:
- Contribution from Diane Bottum ().
- Posting Jun 26 2006 by Diane Bottum () to the Parke County, Indiana message board:
- Parke County, Indiana deaths, 1882-1920; USGenWeb Archives:
- 1840 census, Parke County, Indiana; roll M704-89, page 185.
- 1860 census, Washington Township, Parke County, Indiana; roll M653-287, page 740, line #32, dwelling #1099, family #1089.
- 1870 census, Rockville P.O., Washington Township, Parke County, Indiana; roll M593-349, page 223, line #16, dwelling #81, family #75.
- 1880 census, Washington Township, Parke County, Indiana; roll T9-0303, ED 174, page 466A, line #9, dwelling #2, family #2.
- "Hinshaw Family": a collection of family group sheets by Edna Harvey Joseph;
LDS FHL microfilm #1572018 items 8-10 and #1572019 items 1-4
- Earlham College Library; "American Friend Obituary Index":
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2016, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]