┌── Francis Hanshaw
┌── John Jackson Hanshaw ───┤
│ 1832-1913 │
│ └── Mary Ann Obrion Simmons
Rosie Belle Hanshaw ───┤
B: 1886 │ ┌── Wilson Arthur
D: 1966 │ │
└── Mary Druzilla Arthurs ──┤
└── Mary Miller
M: Joseph M. Wine
M: - Simmons
Rosie Belle Hanshaw [ID 03590]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Born Feb 23 18861,2,3,4,5,6 [about 18857], West Virginia1,2,3,4,5,6.
She married Joseph M. Wine, about 1905.7 Joseph was born about 1860, West Virginia.7
Bula V. Wine, born c1907, West Virginia.
Oscar Joseph Wine, born Mar 4 1907, West Virginia; died Apr 1982; married Lillian Cochran (1905-1981), Feb 14 1932, Webster County, West Virginia (children: Shirley Wine, Feb 24 1946 - Oct 28 1997; Margorie Wine; Cleo Wine; Betty Wine; Bonnie Wine; Bobby Wine; Donald Wine; Norman Wine).
(plus at least one additional child, deceased before Apr 20 1910).
Rosie Belle and family were shown in the 1910 census (Apr 20 1910), Glade District, Webster County, West Virginia:7
Wine, Joseph M., head-of-household, age 50, born in West Virginia; parents born in West Virginia; first marriage, married 5 years; occupation: laborer, public works; rented home; cannot read or write.
Wine, Rosa B., wife, age 25, born in West Virginia; parents born in West Virginia; first marriage, married 5 years; 3 children, 2 living.
Wine, Bula V., daughter, age 3, born in West Virginia; parents born in West Virginia.
Wine, Oscar J., son, age 2, born in West Virginia; parents born in West Virginia.
3Rosie was still married to Joe Wines when she ran away to Chicago with Charles O'Keefe.3
Mattie Ruth O'Keefe, born 1922, Chicago, Illinois; married Norman H. Davis (children: Norman H. Davis, Jr., born 1944; Lisbeth Davis, born 1950, married -- Guffin).
During World War I Charles died of the affects of mustard gas poisoning. Rosie then returned to West Virginia to Joe Wines and her two children.3 Rosie received a veteran's benefit check from the estate of Charles O'Keefe and then moved to Florida with daughter Mattie Ruth. She later returned to West Virginia.3
Rosie was shown in the 1920 census (Jan 2 1920), working as a housekeeper in the household of a widower T.M. Dobbins, 823 2nd Avenue, Huntington, Cabell County, West Virginia:5
Wines, Rosie, housekeeper, age 34, born in West Virginia; father born in West Virginia; mother born in United States; married; occupation: housekeeper, private family.
Son Oscar Wine was shown in the 1920 census (Jan 16 1920), Union Mission Orphanage, 319 1/2 Clendenin Street, Charleston, Kanawha County, West Virginia:13
Wines, Oscar, age 1? [unclear - appears to be 10 overwritten with 11], born in West Virginia; parents born in U.S.; attended school.
Rosie and daughter Mattie were shown in the 1930 census (Apr 3 1930), 308 Cottage Avenue (Rear), Anderson, Indiana:12
Hanshaw, Rosie, head-of-household, age 44, born in West Virginia; parents born in West Virginia; widow; rented home ($5 rent); no radio in home; occupation: house keeper, private home.
O Keefe, Mattie, daughter, age 7, born in Illinois; father born in Pennsylvania; mother born in West Virginia; attended school.
Living nearby in 1930 was the family of sister Flora with their widowed mother.14
She then married - Simmons3 [- Simons15, - Simonds6].
Rosie Belle Hanshaw died 1966, West Virginia; buried Pleasant Hill Cemetery, Wallback, Clay County, West Virginia.3,6,15,16
Daughter Mattie Ruth went to nursing school and became an RN. She married Norman H. Davis of Newark, New Jersey (children: Norman H. Davis, Jr., born 1944; Lisbeth Davis, born 1950, married -- Guffin).3
Photo: Rosie Belle Hanshaw 1954, when visiting Virgil Hanshaw in Oak Hill, West Virginia
Photo: Rosie Belle Hanshaw gravestone
- Contribution from Melissa Kay Hanshaw McLain.
- "Hacker's Creek Pioneer Descendants", "Don Norman Family Files": http://www.rootsweb.com/~hcpd/norman/HANSHAW.
- Contribution from Norm Davis ().
- 1900 census, Henry District, Clay County, West Virginia; roll T623-1757, ED 7, page 18B, line #83, dwelling #315, family #336.
- 1920 census, Huntington, Cabell County, West Virginia; roll T625-1950, ED 19, page 1B.
- Gravestone photo courtesy of (private) Hanshaw.
- 1910 census, Glade District, Webster County, West Virginia; roll T624-1698, ED 157, page 7A, line #3, dwelling #110, family #111.
- "Social Security Death Index" (as it is commonly called), derived from
the Social Security Administration "Death Master File".
- Webster County, West Virginia marriages; USGenWeb Archives:
- Contribution from Samantha Shirley (Wine) Murphy ().
- Obituary of Shirley Wine; "Charleston Gazette"; "Obituary Collection", http://www.ancestry.com.
- 1930 census, Anderson, Madison County, Indiana; roll T626-604, ED 3, page 2B, line #68, dwelling #40, family #48.
- 1920 census, 9th Ward, Charleston, Kanawha County, West Virginia; roll T625-1958, ED 102, page 18B, line #83, dwelling #360, family #414.
- 1930 census, Anderson, Madison County, Indiana; roll T626-604, ED 3, page 2B, line #88, dwelling #45, family #56.
- West Virginia cemeteries; USGenWeb Archives: http://www.rootsweb.com/~wvclay/clocem6.htm.
- Contribution from (private) Hanshaw.
- Photo courtesy of (private) Hanshaw.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Wed Oct 26 10:34:39 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2019, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]