┌── John Hinshaw
┌── Jesse Hinshaw ──┤
│ 1780-1853 │
│ └── Ruth (Pike) Weisner
Cyrus Clarkson Hinshaw ───┤
B: 1830 │
D: 1907 │
└── Milli Primm
M: Emma E. Wadsworth
Cyrus Clarkson Hinshaw [ID 00362]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Cyrus Clarkson Hinshaw1,2,3 [Clarkson C. Hinshaw4, C. C. Hinshaw5].
Born May 15 1830, Marlborough MM, North Carolina.1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9,10
Cyrus was shown in the 1860 census (Jun 5 1860), living in the household of an Adam & Luthana Griffin in Boonsboro, Boone County, Iowa:7
C.C. Henshaw, age 30, born in North Carolina; teamster; $600 real estate; $150 personal property.
Cyrus was shown in the 1870 census (Aug 16 1870), living in the household of a Ruth C. Griffin in Boonsboro, Boone County, Iowa:8
Henshaw, Clark C., age 40, born in North Carolina; retired merchant; $6000 real estate; $5000 personal property.
Cyrus was shown in the 1880 census (Jun 15-16 1880), Kendrick Township, Greene County, Iowa:9
Henshaw, Clark, head, age 50, born in North Carolina; single; farmer.
Griffin, Ala, male, age 25, born in Indiana; father born in New Jersey; mother born in Ohio; married; farm laborer.
Griffin, Rachel E., age 23, born in Iowa; father born in New Jersey; mother born in Ohio; single; dress maker.
Griffin, Lizzie J., age 22, born in Indiana; father born in North Carolina; mother born in Ohio; married; keeping house.
Griffin, Charles M., age 22, born in Iowa; father born in New Jersey; mother born in Ohio; single; farm laborer.
Griffin, Charles C., age 11 months, born July  in Iowa; father born in Indiana; mother born in Iowa.
He married Emma E. Wadsworth5 [Emma M. Cass10, Emma Canfield11], Jul 1 18855, Greene County, Iowa5. Emma, daughter of John + Martha J. Wadsworth10,12,13,14, was born Nov - 185210,12,13,14 [about 185411], Wisconsin10,12,13,14.
Emma had been previously married to a Martin Canfield (Oct 11 1870, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin)15 and then divorced before 1880.11 Martin Canfield was a civil engineer who had been living in Emma's parents household in 1870.12
At Bloomfield MM on 1-15-1890, Cyrus Clarkson was granted a certificate to Bear Creek MM, Iowa.3
At Bear Creek MM (Iowa) on 1-25-1890, C.C. Hinshaw was received on a certificate from Bloomingdale MM, Indiana.16
Cyrus and family were shown in the 1900 census (Jun 8 1900), 723 Cheny [unclear] Street, Jefferson Township, Greene County, Iowa:10
Hianshaw [unclear], Clarkson, head-of-household, age 70, born May 1830 in North Carolina; parents born in North Carolina; married 15 years; occupation: retired farmer; owned home (mortgaged).
", Emma M., wife, age 47, born Nov 1852 in Wisconsin; father born in Massachusetts; mother born in New York; married 15 years; [number of children blank].
Cass, Martha J., mother-in-law, age 64, born June 1836 in New York; parents born in New York; married; 7 children, 5 living.
Cyrus Clarkson Hinshaw died Dec 27 1907, buried Scranton Cemetery, Scranton, Greene County, Iowa.4,6
WPA burial record extractions from Scranton Cemetery also show a John Wadsworth Hinshaw (1810-Oct 22 1897) and a Jennie M. Cass Hinshaw (1836-1905).4,6 These appear to be in error, as their names and birth years match with Emma's parents, John Wadsworth (born c1808-c1812)11,12,17 and Martha J. (Wadsworth) Cass (born Jun 1836).10,17 They are probably buried in the same plot with Cyrus and Emma and were assumed by the WPA extractors to have been Hinshaws.18
Widow Emma was shown in the 1910 census (Apr 19-20 1910), living in the household of a Henry A. & Marian E. Martin at 664 Astor Street, Milwaukee, Wisconsin:13
Henshaw, Emma M., sister, age 57, born in Wisconsin; parents born in Vermont; widow; no children; occupation: none.
Widow Emma was shown in the 1920 census (Jan 9 1920), living with her sister, Caroline Evelyn (Wadsworth) Peck, at 46 Zion House, Zion, Lake County, Illinois:14
Hinshaw, Emma M., head-of-household, age 67, born in Wisconsin; father born in Massachusetts; mother born in New York; widow; rented home; occupation: none.
Peck, Carrie E., sister, age 63, born in Wisconsin; father born in Massachusetts; mother born in New York; divorced; occupation: none.
- "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy",
by William Wade Hinshaw, in many well-stocked libraries.
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Indiana.
- "Abstracts of the Records of the Society of Friends in Indiana", Part 5,
subtitled "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Volume VII",
(a compendium of many of the records left by William Wade Hinshaw on
his death), edited by Willard Heiss; GS929.3 H47 in a local library.
- Iowa Cemetery Records. Provo, UT: Ancestry.com, 2000.
- Iowa Marriages, 1851-1900; http://www.ancestry.com.
- WPA Iowa Graves Registration Survey; USGenWeb Archives:
- 1860 census, Boonsboro, Des Moines Township, Boone County, Iowa; roll M653-213, page 7, line #13, dwelling #52, family #39.
- 1870 census, Boonsboro, Boone County, Iowa; roll M593-378, page 47, line #28, dwelling #295, family #279.
- 1880 census, Kendrick Township, Greene County, Iowa; roll T9-341, ED 90, page 240B, line #27, dwelling #124, family #125.
- 1900 census, Jefferson Township, Greene County, Iowa; roll T623-433, ED 91, page 12B, line #87, dwelling #263, family #274.
- 1880 census, Kendrick Township, Greene County, Iowa; roll T9-341, ED 90, page 238A, line #11, dwelling #80, family #80.
- 1870 census, 5th Ward, Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin; roll M593-1727, page 578, line #25, dwelling #427, family #442.
- 1910 census, 1st Ward, Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin; roll T624-1722, ED 18, page 65A, line #26, dwelling #109, family #115.
- 1920 census, 4th Ward, Zion, Lake County, Illinois; roll T625-381, ED 244, page 5B, line #82, dwelling #58, family #166.
- Wisconsin Marriages, pre-1907; http://www.ancestry.com.
- "The William Wade Hinshaw Index to [Iowa] Quaker Meeting Records",
a microfiche in the LDS Family History Library.
- 1860 census, Lafayette, Walworth County, Wisconsin; roll M653-1434, page 387, line #35, dwelling #411, family #184.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Thu Oct 20 12:33:26 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2018, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]