┌── Zimri Hinshaw
┌── William Jasper Hinshaw ──┤
│ 1849-1937 │
│ └── Rachel Crofford
Mary Alice Hinshaw ───┤
B: 1881 │ ┌── Reuben Elliot
D: 1932 │ │
└── Sarah Jane Elliot ───────┤
└── Rebecca (Elliot)
M: John William Cook
Mary Alice Hinshaw [ID 03698]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Mary Alice Hinshaw1,2 [A. M. Alice Hinshaw3,4,5, Alyce Hinshaw6].
Born Oct 23 1881, Kansas.6,7,8,9,10,11,12
She married John William Cook, about 1910.10,13 John, son of John + Rosa P. Cook11,14,15,16,17, was born May 15 187611,14,15,16,17 [about 187910], Kansas11,14,15,16,17 [Missouri10].
John W. Cook, born 1919, Kansas; apparently died young.
Morley H. Cook, born Jan 21 1924, Kansas; married 1) Phyllis Johansen (children: Ann, John William and Christine Cook); 2) Gaye --.
13,17,18,19It is believed that there were many children, but only son Morley lived to adulthood.13
John was an international horse trader.13
Alice and John were shown in the 1910 census (Apr 21 1910), 608 Neosho [street], Emporia, Lyon County, Kansas:10
Cook, John W., head-of-household, age 31, born in Missouri; parents born in England; first marriage, married 4 months; occupation: surgeon, veterinary; rented home.
Cook, Alice, wife, age 28, born in Kansas; parents born in Indiana; first marriage, married 4 months; no children.
On Sep 12 1918 John William Cook, age 42, registered for the World War I draft in Alma, Wabaunsee County, Kansas. He declared he was born May 15 1876, and was then residing in Harveyville, Wabaunsee County, Kansas, a self-employed "farmers stockman". He declared his nearest relative was Mrs. Alice M. Cook of Harveyville. He was recorded as medium height, medium build, blue eyes, brown hair.16
Alice and family shown in the 1920 census (Jan 6 1920), Gertrude Street, Harveyville, Wabaunsee County, Kansas:11
Cook, John W., head-of-household, age 43, born in Kansas; parents born in England; rented home; occupation: cattle dealer.
Cook, Mary A., wife, age 38, born in Kansas; parents born in Indiana.
Cook, John W., son, age 3 months, born in Kansas; parents born in Kansas.
Alice and family were shown in the 1925 Kansas state census (Mar 1 1925), Mission, Shawnee County, Kansas:17
Cook, J.W., head-of-household, age 48, born in Kansas; occupation: farmer.
Cook, Alice, wife, age 40, born in Kansas.
Cook, Morley, son, age 1, born in Kansas.
Alice was shown in the 1930 census (Apr 3 1930), Topeka State Insane Hospital, Topeka, Shawnee County, Kansas:12
Cook, Alice, inmate, age 48, born in Kansas; parents born in Indiana; married.
Son Morley was shown in the 1930 census (Apr 19 1930), living with his paternal grandmother on Gertrude Street, Harveyville, Wabaunsee County, Kansas:18
Cook, Rosa, head-of-household, age 80, born in England; parents born in England; immigrated 1869, naturalized; widow; owned home ($3200 value); radio in home.
Cook, Morley, grandson, age 6, born in Kansas; parents born in Kansas.
Mary Alice Hinshaw died 1932.1
It is believed that Alice died in a mental hospital13 (possibly the Topeka State Insane Hospital).20 Son Morley was then raised by John's mother, Rosa Cook.13
Photo: Mary Alice Hinshaw with parents and siblings
Photo: John William Cook World War I draft registation card
- Contribution from Bruce Irving Hinshaw.
- Contribution from Robert Lloyd Hinshaw.
- Contribution from Robert Lloyd Hinshaw citing:
"Pictorial Bible", published by A.J. Holman & Co., 1886, Philadelphia.
- 1895 Kansas State Census; Kansas State Historical Society:.
- 1900 census, Plumb Township, Wabaunsee County, Kansas; roll T623-502, ED 179, page 1A, line #8, dwelling #3, family #3.
- Contribution from Bruce Irving Hinshaw / 1881 only.
- Contribution from Robert Lloyd Hinshaw citing:
Loose insert from a family bible, located by Doris W. Hinshaw & her niece Sarah J. Walton.
- 1895 Kansas State Census; Kansas State Historical Society:
- 1910 census, 1st Ward, Emporia, Lyon County, Kansas; roll T624-445, ED 45, page 8B, line #66, dwelling #198, family #220.
- 1920 census, Harveyville, Plum Township, Wabaunsee County, Kansas; roll T625-553, ED 149, page 1A, line #34, dwelling #10, family #10.
- 1930 census, Topeka, Shawnee County, Kansas; ED 89-47, page 3B, line #97.
- Contribution from Ann Cook Yrisarri ().
- 1880 census, Abilene, Dickinson County, Kansas; roll T9-379, ED 66, page 390D, line #39, dwelling #120, family #120.
- 1900 census, Wilmington Township, Wabaunsee County, Kansas; ED 182, page 9B, line #82, dwelling #221, family #222.
- World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918; http://www.ancestry.com.
- 1925 Kansas state census, Mission, Shawnee County, Kansas; roll KS1925-149, page 36, line #6, dwelling #273, family #282.
- 1930 census, Harveyville, Plum Township, Wabaunsee County, Kansas; roll T626-725, ED 14, page 1B, line #69, dwelling #22, family #23.
- U.S. Public Records Index, Volume 1; http://www.ancestry.com.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Fri Oct 21 15:52:18 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2019, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]