+-- William Hinshaw | 1759-1807 +-- Uriah Hinshaw ---------+ | 1785-1843 | | +-- Margaret Hunt | 1765-1828 Charles Hinshaw ---+ B: 1811 | +-- Evan Lewis D: 1895 | | +-- Mary Elizabeth Lewis --+ 1783-1837 | +-- Susannah Moon M: Sarah Lee +-- Uriah Hinshaw, 1835-1841 +-- Mary Hinshaw, 1838-? +-- John Hinshaw, 1840-1864 +-- Rachel Hinshaw, 1843-1864 +-- Ruth B. Hinshaw, 1846-1909 +-- Zimri Hinshaw, 1849-1892 +-- Anna Jane Hinshaw, 1853-1938 +-- Rodema Newlin Hinshaw, 1856-1892 +-- Ellen M. Hinshaw, 1860-1937
|Charles Hinshaw     [ID 00414]||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view:|
Born 8-18-1811, Lost Creek MM, Jefferson County, Tennessee.2,45,50,59,191    (c1810).a,b
He married Sarah Lee, Mar 29 1834, Wayne County, Indiana.47,50,59,63,97,126,155,c,d    Sarah Lee, daughter of John Lee & Rachel Hill, was born 5-18-1815, Tennessee.50,63,c,191,a,e,f,b    (or John Lee & Hannah Morris).205    Sarah was the niece of Ephraim Lee and Sarah Hinshaw.c
At Newberry MM on 5-3-1834, Charles was granted a certificate to Duck Creek MM, Indiana.2
At Mississinewa MM (Grant County, Indiana) on 3-18-1835, Charles was received on a certificate from Newberry MM, Blount County, Tennessee, endorsed from Duck Creek MM, Indiana.50
At Mississinewa MM on 4-16-1835, Charles was disowned for his marriage contrary to discipline.50
At Mississinewa MM on 1-11-1837, Sarah was received on a certificate from New Garden MM.50
On Mar 20 1837 Charles purchased 40 acres of land in Grant County, Indiana.g    Again on Aug 1 1837 Charles purchased an additional 40 acres in Grant County.g
At Mississinewa MM on 3-19-1838, Charles requested to be re-instated in membership.    This was granted.50
In the year 1839, when the Friends of Back Creek were about to build a big brick meeting house, they made a ratio of apportionment, which is big brick meeting house, they made a ratio of apportionment, which is interesting as it showed who were the paying members at that time and their financial ratings.    Some Friends were assessed at a rate of four and one half percent, some at three percent, some at two and one half percent, others lower.    Under an assessment of one and one half percent was Charles Hinshaw.    Under an assessment of two per cent was brother Evan Hinshaw.h
Charles and family were shown in the 1840 census, Grant County, Indiana:i
At Pleasant Plain MM (Iowa) on 1-26-1848, Charles & wife Sarah & minor children Mary, John, Rachel, & Ruth were received on a certificate from Back Creek MM dated 11-18-1847.63
Charles and family were shown in the 1850 census (Aug 30 1860), Polk County, Iowa:a
Charles was a charter member of the Ackworth MM, Iowa.63
At Ackworth MM on 4-27-1861, Charles & family were granted a certificate to Cottonwood MM, Kansas.63
Charles and family were again shown in the 1870 census (Jul 3 1870), Americus Township, Lyon County, Kansas:f
Charles Hinshaw died Oct 7 1895, Lyon County, Kansas; age 84; buried Oct 8 1895, Cottonwood Cemetery, Emporia, Lyon County, Kansas.126,191,205,m,n,o,p
Charlie's obituary was published in the "Emporia Gazette", Emporia, Kansas, on Oct 12 1895.q
Charles' will was probated Nov 29 1895, mentioning:p
2. "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy", by William Wade Hinshaw, in many well-stocked libraries.
45. The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS) International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Tennessee.
47. The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS) International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Indiana.
50. "Abstracts of the Records of the Society of Friends in Indiana", Part 3, subtitled "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Volume VII", (a compendium of many of the records left by William Wade Hinshaw on his death), edited by Willard Heiss; GS929.3 H47 in a local library.
59. The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS) International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Iowa.
63. "The William Wade Hinshaw Index to [Iowa] Quaker Meeting Records", a microfiche in the LDS Family History Library.
97. "Hiatt-Hiett Genealogy and Family History" by William Perry Johnson, microfilm #1421712, item 5, in the LDS Family History Library.
126. Family group sheets from Annette L. Schmidt ()
155. "Index of Indiana Marriages Through 1850", Indiana State Library, Genealogy Division: http://www.in.gov/library/genealogy.htm
191. "Webster Parry's Abstracts of Quaker Records", LDS microfilm #0367987
205. "Hinshaw Family": a collection of family group sheets by Edna Harvey Joseph; LDS FHL microfilm #1572018 items 8-10 and #1572019 items 1-4
(a) 1850 census, Polk County, Iowa; roll M432-188, page 37, line #7, dwelling #406, family #420.
(b) 1880 census, Americus Township, Lyon County, Kansas; roll T9-0387, ED 108, page 266B-267C, line #50, family #18.
(c) Contribution from Martha A. Lee ().
(d) Wayne County, Indiana, marriage records database:
(e) 1860 census, Palmyra Township, Warren County, Iowa; page 725, line #35, dwelling #445, family #421.
(f) 1870 census, Neosho Rapids P.O., Americus Township, Lyon County, Kansas; roll M593-438, page 184, line #13, dwelling #137, family #139.
(g) U.S. Bureau of Land Management - http://www.glorecords.blm.gov.
(h) Posting Jan 18 2001 by Phyllis Miller Fleming () to Grant Co. In Biographies, citing:
"Centennial History of Grant County, Indiana: 1812-1912", Rolland Lewis Whiteson, ed., Chicago: Lewis Publ Co,
"CV. Society of Friends in Grant County," pg 648-649; See:
(i) 1840 census, Grant County, Indiana; USGenWeb Archives:
(j) 1860 census, Palmyra Township, Warren County, Iowa (roll M653-341, page 61/725, household #445):
(k) 1860 census, Palmyra Township, Warren County, Iowa (roll M653-341, page 60/724, household #432):
(l) 1860 census, Palmyra Township, Warren County, Iowa; page 724, line #21, dwelling #432, family #408.
(m) Early Death Records of Lyon County, Kansas; The Flint Hills Genealogical Society of Lyon County, Kansas:
(n) A.N. Wise and Son Funeral Home Records; The Flint Hills Genealogical Society of Lyon County, Kansas:
(p) Chase County, Kansas Probate, Guardianship, Wills and Miscellaneous Index, 1859-1939; USGenWeb Archives
(q) The Obituary Daily Times archives: http://www.rootsweb.com/~obituary.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
Return to HFA Home Page
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]