┌── William Hinshaw
┌── John Hinshaw ──┤
│ 1755-? │
│ └── Mary Courtney
Joshua Hinshaw ───┤
B: c1798 │ ┌── George Martin
D: >1880 │ │
└── Mary Martin ───┤
└── Sarah Dixon
M: Mary Mitchell
Joshua Hinshaw [ID 04977]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Joshua Hinshaw1,2 [Joshua Henshaw3,4,5,6, Josiah Hinshaw7].
Born about 17988 [17951,7], Tennessee8.
He married Mary Mitchell1,4,5,6 [May Mitchell3, Polly Mitchell1], Sep 23 18271,4,5,6, Grainger County, Tennessee1,4,5,6. Mary was born about 18062,7 , Virginia2,7.
At Lost Creek MM (Tennessee), on 7-25-1829, Joshua Hinshaw was disowned for his marriage contrary to discipline.9
Joshua and Mary were shown in the 1850 census (Sep 21 1850), Grainger County, Tennessee:8
Joshua Hinchall, age 52, born in Tennessee; farmer; $180 real estate; cannot read or write.
Polly Hinchall, age 41, [birthplace unclear]; cannot read or write.
Allice A. Duff, age 4, born in Tennessee.
Living next door in 1850 was the family of an Elijah Mitchell, age 3710 (possibly Mary's brother).11
Joshua and Mary were shown in the 1860 census (Jul 25 1860), Grainger County, Tennessee:2
Joshua Hinshaw, age 60, [birthplace blank]; farmer; $300 real estate; $300 personal property.
Mary Hinshaw, age 53, [birthplace blank]; cannot read or write.
Living next door in 1860 was the family of an Elijah Mitchell, age 4912 (possibly Mary's brother).11
Joshua and Mary were shown in the 1880 census (Jun 18-19 1880), Grainger County, Tennessee:7
Hinshaw, Josiah, age 84, born in Tennessee; [parents' birthplaces blank]; farmer.
Hinshaw, Mary, wife, age 74, born in Virginia; parents born in Virginia; cannot read or write.
Living next door in 1880 was the family of a William H. Mitchell;13 two more houses away was the family of a John D. Mitchell14 (possibly Mary's nephews or other close relatives).11
Mary died after 1880.1
Joshua Hinshaw died after 1880.1
- "East Tennessee Roots", Volume I, Issue 3, September, 1984;
Tennessee Valley Publications.
- 1860 census, 6th Civil District, Grainger County, Tennessee; page 454B, line #30, dwelling #740, family #740.
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Tennessee.
- "Early East Tennesee Marriages", Vol. 1 Grooms, Byron & Barb Sistley,
1987, submitted by Robert Worley.
- "Early East Tennessee Marriages", Sistler, 1987.
- Halbert's "The New World Book of Henshaws" (for what it's worth).
- 1880 census, District 7, Grainger County, Tennessee; roll T9-1257, ED 98, page 457a, line #34, dwelling #267, family #279.
- 1850 census, 6th Civil District, Grainger County, Tennessee; page 48, line #2, dwelling #674, family #676.
- "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy",
by William Wade Hinshaw, in many well-stocked libraries.
- 1850 census, 6th Civil District, Grainger County, Tennessee; page 48, line #5, dwelling #675, family #677.
- 1860 census, 6th Civil District, Grainger County, Tennessee; page 454B, line #25, dwelling #739, family #739.
- 1880 census, District 7, Grainger County, Tennessee; roll T9-1257, ED 98, page 457a, line #27, dwelling #266, family #278.
- 1880 census, District 7, Grainger County, Tennessee; roll T9-1257, ED 98, page 457a, line #16, dwelling #264, family #276.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Sat Oct 22 14:15:46 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2018, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]