┌── Levi Henshaw
┌── Anderson Henshaw ──────┤
│ 1817-1888 │
│ └── Ann McConnell
Charles Elliott Henshaw ───┤
B: 1849 │
D: 1943 │
└── Margaret Jane Bussey
M: Camelia J. Roberts
├── Louise Belle Henshaw (1875-1920) 1,2,3,4
├── Jessie Hope Henshaw (1877-1960) 2,3,5,6,7
├── Nellie Henshaw (1881-1882) 2
└── Mabelle Elliott Henshaw (1890-1949) 2,4,8
Charles Elliott Henshaw [ID 05210]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Born Sep 14 1849, Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia.3,4,9,10,11,12,13,14,15
As a boy Charles moved with his family to Ohio, then Missouri, Indiana and Kansas. They then returned to Franklin, Johnson County, Indiana where he went to school. He also lived in Trafalgar, Indiana, and Marcus, Iowa; then to Medford, Wisconsin. They moved to Antigo, Wisconsin in July 1890.16
He married Camelia J. Roberts17,18 [Jennie Camille Roberts1,2,3,4,5], May 27 187417,18, Sullivan County, Indiana17,18. Camelia, daughter of Andrew Roberts & Sara Nelson2,3,4,12, was born Dec 12 18512,3,4,12 [about 18538], Blanchard, Ohio2,3,4,12.
Charles and family were shown in the 1880 census (Jun 23 1880), living in his parents' household in Hensley Township, Johnson County, Indiana:3
, wife, age 50, born in Virginia; parents born in Virginia; keeping house.
Henshaw, Charles E., son, age 30, born in Virginia; parents born in Virginia; miller.
Henshaw, Jennie, daughter, age 28, born in Ohio; father born in Wales; mother born in Virginia.
Henshaw, Louie B.
, granddaughter, age 4, born in Indiana; father born in Virginia; mother born in Ohio.
, granddaughter, age 3, born in Indiana; father born in Virginia; mother born in Ohio.
Cunt, Louiza, grand niece, age 22, born in Indiana; father born in Maryland; mother born in Virginia.
Charles was a partner with John J. Kingsbury in a grist and feed mill in Antigo, Wisconsin; then later the Kingsburg & Henshaw Lumber Co.16 His son-in-law, Clarence TeSelle, was Secretary-Treasurer of the firm.
Charles and family were shown in the 1900 census (Jun 5 1900), Antigo, Langlade County, Wisconsin:4
Henshaw, C.E., head-of-household, age 50, born Sept 1849 in Virginia; parents born in Virginia; married 26 years; occupation: milling; owned home (free).
Henshaw, Jennie, wife, age 48, born Dec 1851 in Ohio; father born in Ireland; mother born in Virginia; married 26 years; 4 children, 3 living.
Henshaw, Louse B.
, daughter, age 24, born Oct 1875 in Indiana; father born in Virginia; mother born in Ohio; occupation: school teacher.
Henshaw, Mabel E.
, daughter, age 10, born Mar 1890 in Wisconsin; father born in Virginia; mother born in Ohio; attended school 9 months.
, mother, age 72, born Aug 1827 in Virginia; parents born in Virginia; widow; 2 children, 1 living.
Charles and family were shown in the 1910 census (Apr 15 1910), 224 Fifth Avenue, Antigo, Langlade County, Wisconsin:8
Henshaw, Charles E., head-of-household, age 59, born in Virginia; parents born in Virginia; first marriage, married 35 years; occupation: miller, own mill; owned home (free).
Henshaw, Camilla J., wife, age 57, born in Ohio; father born in Wales; mother born in Virginia; first marriage, married 35 years; 4 children, 3 living.
Henshaw, Mabelle E.
, daughter, age 20, born in Wisconsin; father born in Virginia; mother born in Ohio; occupation: stenographer, office; attended school.
Henshaw, Margaret J.
, mother, age 80, born in Virginia; parents born in Virginia; widow; 2 children, 1 living.
The following article was published in the "Gazette" (Steven Point, Wisconsin) on December 5, 1917:19
The Henshaw-Worden Lumber Co., just incorporated at Antigo with a capital of $100,000 has purchased the sawmill and a portion of the timber holdings of the Kingsbury & Henshaw Lumber Co. The incorporators are C. E. Henshaw, J. H. Worden and A. B. Goodrick. The late J. J. Kingsbury, a former Stevens Point resident, was a member of the firm of Kingsbury & Henshaw.
Charles and Jennie were shown in the 1920 census, 224 5th Avenue, Antigo, Langlade County, Wisconsin:12
Henshaw, Charles L., head-of-household, age 70, born in Virginia; parents born in Virginia; owned home; occupation: proprietor, lumber mill.
Henshaw, Jennie C., wife, age 68, born in Ohio; father born in Wales; mother born in Virginia.
Camelia died Feb - 1923, Antigo, Langlage County, Wisconsin; buried Antiago, Wisconsin.2
The following article was published in the "Appleton Post Crescent" (Appleton, Wisconsin) on February 8, 1928:20
Charles' son-in-law, Clarence TeSelle, was indicted for fraud relating to the bankruptcy of the business (see daughter Mabelle's page for details).
BANKRUPT SAW MILL AND LUMBER YARD SALE!!! Modern Band Saw Mill with all real estate conveniently located along Railroad tracks, with large supply of Mill extras, Wagons, Dump Carts, Log Trucks, Cut over lands and City lots.
Also about 600 M of Hemlock Lumber, about 300 M Hardwood and Basswood lumber, about 90 cords of slab wood.
Also all office equipment, camp supplies and hundreds of other chattels. Henshaw Lumber Company, Bankrupt, Antigo, Wisconsin Terms of Sale, Cash, subject to confirmation of Court. The right to reject any and all bids is reserved.
Inventories at Trustee's office. Sale commences February 15th, 1928 at ten A. M. sharp, at Henshaw Mill Yard, Antigo, Wisconsin.
CHAS. H. AVERY, Trustee,
Widower Charles was shown in the 1930 census (Apr 9 1930), living alone at 224 5th Avenue, Antigo, Langlade County, Wisconsin:13
Henshaw, Charles, head-of-household, age 81, born in Virginia; parents born in Virginia; widower; owned home ($4000 value); no radio in home; occupation: none.
Charles Elliott Henshaw died Oct 19 194316 [Oct 29 194315], Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California16; butied Antigo, Langlade County, Wisconsin16.
Photo: Charles Elliott Henshaw with mother Margaret Jane Bussey, daughter Louise Belle Henshaw and her infant son Maurice Arveson
Photo: Daughters of Charles Elliott Henshaw & Jennie Roberts Louise, Mabel and Jessie
- Lineage Books of the Charter Members of the National Society of the
Daughters of the American Revolution.
- Contribution from Charles Payne ().
- 1880 census, Hensley Township, Johnson County, Indiana; roll T9-289, ED 156, page 168C, line #28, dwelling #254, family #258.
- 1900 census, Antigo, Langlade County, Wisconsin; roll T623-1796, ED 46, page 5B, line #51, dwelling #94, family #95.
- Henshaw history and genealogy manuscript, original by Holmes Hart Henshaw, 1930;
updated in 1995 by Donald Craig Henshaw and others.
- RootsWeb California Death Records database:
- VitalSearch California Death Index 1940-2000:
- 1910 census, 1st Ward, Antigo, Langlade County, Wisconsin; roll T624-1718, ED 39, page 24A, line #5, dwelling #26, family #28.
- 1850 census, 9th District, Berkeley County, Virginia; roll M432-936, page 416, line #35, dwelling #1493, family #1525.
- 1860 census, Franklin, Johnson County, Indiana; roll M653-271, page 708, line #16, dwelling #343, family #327.
- 1870 census, 1st Ward, Franklin, Johnson County, Indiana; roll M593-330, page 309, line #25, dwelling #124, family #137.
- 1920 census, Antigo, Langlade County, Wisconsin; roll T625-1993, ED 108, page 9B, line #75, dwelling #183, family #212.
- 1930 census, 1st Ward, Antigo, Langlade County, Wisconsin; roll T626-2580, ED 3, page 10A, line #23, dwelling #211, family #227.
- Contribution from Charles Payne () citing:
family records from Louise Henshaw Arveson.
- California Death Records database; RootsWeb:
- Contribution from Charles Payne () citing: 1943 newspaper clipping.
- "Index to Marriage Record Sullivan County 1850-1920 Inclusive" Vol. III;
Indiana Works Progress Administration, 1940; Book 4, page 402.
- Marriage Index: Indiana, 1851-1900; Sullivan County, Indiana courthouse records.
- The "Gazette" (Steven Point, Wisconsin), Dec 5 1917; http://www.ancestry.com.
- The "Appleton Post Crescent" (Appleton, Wisconsin), Feb 8 1928; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Photo courtesy of Charles Payne ().
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Sat Oct 22 10:08:49 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2017, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]