┌── Newton Hinshaw
Madison Hinshaw ────────────┤
B: 1852 │ ┌── Jacob Fears
D: 1925 │ │
└── Hannah Jane Fears ──┤
└── Ailsey (Ailsy) Holt
M: Mary Jane Austill
├── William Thurman Hinshaw, 1873-1938
├── Martin Henshaw, c1875-?
└── Marvin Tribble Hinshaw, 1889-1964
M: Mary Elizabeth McCarroll
├── Alice G. Hinshaw, c1877-1964
M: Maryan Holderby
Madison Hinshaw [ID 05556]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
(Madison Hinshaw)1,2,3,4,5,6,7 (Madison Henshaw)8,9 (Rosiah M. Hinshaw)10 (Hosah Hinshaw)11 Born Jun 6 1852, Estillfork, Jackson County, Alabama.8,9,12,13,14,15
In the 1860 census, Jackson County, Alabama, his name was shown as Hasah or Hosah (unclear), and he was recorded (clearly) as a female.16,17 In the 1870 census, Jackson County, his name was spelled Rosiah M., and he was recorded (again clearly) as a male.16,10 Later in life he was always known as Newton18,1,13 (which appears was likely his given middle name when younger).
He married Mary Jane Austill, Jul 21 1872, Jackson County, Alabama.18,19,1 Mary, daughter of Martin/Mathew Thermon + Laviney Amanda Austill, was born Oct - 1851, Jackson County, Alabama.20,21,22,23,24
Note these Hinshaws and Austills were apparently friendly as George Thomas Hinshaw married Mary Jane's sister, Sarah Fannie Austill, and Martha Ann Hinshaw married Mary Jane's brother, John R. Austill,
Madison left his family when the children were still young.9
Mary Jane and son were shown in the 1880 census (Jun 4 1880), living with her widowed mother in Jackson County, Alabama:23
Austill, Vina, age 54, born in Alabama; parents born in North Carolina; widow; keeping house.
Austill, Martha L., daughter, age 22, born in Alabama; father born in Alabama; mother born in Tennessee.
Austill, Elbert Tribble, son, age 17, born in Alabama; father born in Alabama; mother born in Tennessee; works on farm.
Austill, Sarah F., daughter, age 14, born in Alabama; father born in Alabama; mother born in Tennessee.
Hinshaw, Mary, daughter, age 28, born in Alabama; father born in Alabama; mother born in Tennessee; widow.
Hinshaw, WillieMary Jane was shown in the 1900 census (Jun 4 1900), living with her widowed mother in Jackson County, Alabama:24
, grandson, age 7, born in Alabama; parents born in Alabama.
Austain, Amanda, head-of-household, age 74, born Oct 1825 in Tennessee; parents born in Virginia; widow; 5 children, 5 living; cannot read or write.
Hinshaw, Mary, daughter, age 48, born Oct 1851 in Alabama; father born in Virginia; mother born in Tennessee; divorced.
Austain, Martha, daughter, age 41, born Oct 1848 in Alabama; father born in Virginia; mother born in Tennessee; single.
, grandson, age 11, born April 1889 in Alabama; parents born in Alabama; single; attended school 3 months.
Austain, Jno, boarder, age 63, born June 1836 in Alabama; parents born in Virginia; widower; cannot read.
Mary Jane lived well into the 1900s.9
He then married Mary Elizabeth McCarroll, Aug 25 1875, Smithville, Lawrence County, Arkansas.2 (Aug 29 1875).3 (Aug 20 1875).4,5,6 Mary, daughter of John Rhea McCarroll & Susan Elizabeth Davis, was born Oct - 1853, Smithville, Lawrence County, Arkansas.4,6,25
Mary died 1877.4,6 Mary Elizabeth probably died in or shortly after childbirth,26 as daughter Alice was born about the same time she died.
Daughter Alice was shown in the 1880 census, age 3, living with Mary Elizabeth's parents.25
He then married Maryan Holderby, Jun 8 1882, Jackson County, Arkansas.7
Madison was shown in the 1910 census (Apr 15-16 1910), living in (and perhaps running) a lodging house at 124 West Walnut, Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky:14
Hinshaw, Madison, head-of-household, age 57, born in Alabama; father born in Germany; mother born in England; single; occupation: own income; rented home.
[.. five lodgers ..]
Homes, Amie, servant, black, age 55, born in Tennessee; parents born in Tennessee; single; occupation: domestic, lodging house.
Madison was shown in the 1920 census (Jan 2 1920), in what appears to have been an apartment house, 124 West Walnut, Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky:15
Hinshaw, M., head-of-household, age 67, born in Alabama; father born in Scotland; mother born in England; widower; rented home; occupation: retired contractor.
Holmes, Amy, housekeeper, black, age 55, born in Tennessee; parents born in Tennessee; single; occupation: housekeeper, private family.
Madison Hinshaw died Sep 30 1925, Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky; age 73; buried Oct 2 1925, Portland Cemetery, Louisville, Kentucky.27,12,13
- Dodd, Jordan R. "Early American Marriages: Alabama, 1800 to 1920". Orem, UT: Ancestry, Inc., 1999.
- Contribution from Dale Hinshaw McMasters citing:
Marriage records, Lawrence County, Arkansas.
- Arkansas Marriages, 1851-1900; http://www.ancestry.com.
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
computerized Ancestral File.
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Arkansas.
- LDS Pedigree Resource File.
- LDS IGI, citing: Marriage records, 1846-1951, Jackson County (Arkansas), County Clerk.
- "Paint Rock Valley Pioneers", a directory of Alabama cemeteries
by Kittye Vandiver Henshaw, Evelyn Rochelle, and Addie Shaver,
F332 P34446 1986, in the Tennessee State Library and Archives;
Also 976.195 V3hk in the LDS Family History Library (not on microfilm).
Contributed by Robert Worley.
- Contribution from John Williams ().
- 1870 census, Subdivision Two, Big Coon, Jackson County, Alabama; page 95, line #22, dwelling #390, family #395.
- 1860 census, Jackson County, Alabama; page 308, line #9, dwelling #280, family #280.
- Posting Dec 5 1999 by John Williams () on the Hinshaw Genforum:
- Posting Jan 26 2002 by John Williams () to HINSHAW-L, citing:
death certificate of Madison Henshaw; Jefferson County, Kentucky #21909.
- 1910 census, 6th Ward, Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky; roll T624-485, ED 118, page 84A, line #38, dwelling #16, family #44.
- 1920 census, 6th Ward, Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky; roll T625-580, ED 121, page 1A, line #30, dwelling #3, family #14.
- Family group sheets and descendent chart contributed by Dorothy Henshaw White ()
- 1860 census, Jackson County, Alabama; page 308, dwelling #280.
- "Marriages of Jackson County Alabama 1871-1876 and 1876-1881" (USGenWeb archives).
- LDS IGI, citing: Marriage records, 1851-1929, Jackson County (Alabama); Judge of Probate.
- Contribution from John Williams () citing:
- 1860 census, Division 4, Jackson County, Alabama; roll M653-11, page 307, line #15, dwelling #275, family #275.
- 1870 census, Big Coon P.O., Collins District, Jackson County, Alabama; roll M593-20, page 90, line #23, dwelling #326, family #330.
- 1880 census, 18th Beat, Jackson County, Alabama; roll T9-16, ED 102, page 68C, line #32, dwelling #58, family #61-62.
- 1900 census, Larkin, Jackson County, Alabama; roll T623-20, ED 37, page 2A, line #14, dwelling #24, family #25.
- 1880 census, Black River Township, Lawrence County, Arkansas; roll T9-0049, ED 159, page 469B, line #18, dwelling #113, family #127.
- "Kentucky Vital Records Index", University of Kentucky:
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Tue Mar 17 18:18:57 2015
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2016, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]