┌── Benjamin Hinshaw
┌── Nathan Hinshaw ────┤
│ 1827-1876 │
│ └── Sarah A. Vestal
Jeremiah Nathan Hinshaw ───┤
B: 1861 │ ┌── Jeremiah Xenophon Sloan
D: 1941 │ │
└── Mary Green Sloan ──┤
└── Martha Weathers
M: Flora Bird
├── William Lawrence Hinshaw (1884-1979) 1,2,3,4
└── Charles Lloyd Hinshaw (1888-1976) 1,3,5
M: Gertrude E. -
Jeremiah Nathan Hinshaw [ID 00652]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Jeremiah Nathan Hinshaw1,2,6 [Nathan Hinshaw7].
Born Dec 21 1861, Cass County, Missouri.1,2,4,5,6,8,9,10,11
He married Flora Bird, Feb 7 1883, Cass County, Missouri.1,3,7 Flora was born 18595,11 [185812, about 18552], Ohio5,11.
Jeremiah was a banker in Plevna, Reno County, Kansas.1,3
Jeremiah and family were shown in the 1910 census (May 5 1910) Plevna Township, Reno County, Kansas:5
Hinshaw, Jeremiah, head-of-household, age 48, born in Missouri; father born in North Carolina; mother born in Indiana; first marriage, married 37 years; owned farm; occupation: lumber & hardware.
Hinshaw, Flora, wife, age 50, born in Ohio; parents born in United States; first marriage, married 37 years; 2 children, 2 living.
Hinshaw, LoydLiving nearby in 1910 was the family of brother Emmett.13
, son, age 25, born in Kansas; father born in Missouri; mother born in Ohio; occupation: clerk, hardware.
Flora died Aug 8 1911, Plevna, Reno County, Kansas; buried Plevna Cemetery, Plevna, Kansas.4,11,12
Widower Jeremiah was shown in the 1920 census (Jan 15 1920), Plevna, Reno County, Kansas:9
Hinshaw, J.N., head-of-household, age 58, born in Missouri; father born in North Carolina; mother born in Indiana; widower; occupation: banker, bank.
Living next door in 1920 was the family of deceased nephew Leo Hinshaw.14
He then married Gertrude E. -.10 Gertrude was born about 1886, Kansas.10
Jeremiah and Gertrude were shown in the 1930 census (Apr 5 1930) 127 East 17th, Hutchison, Reno County, Kansas:10
Hinshaw, Jeremiah N., head-of-household, age 68, born in Missouri; father born in North Carolina; mother born in Indiana; first married at age 21; owned home ($5000 value); radio in home; occupation: none; not a veteran.
Hinshaw, Gertrude E., wife, age 44, born in Kansas; parents born in Ohio; first married at age 21; occupation: none.
Jeremiah Nathan Hinshaw died May 30 1941, Plevna, Reno County, Kansas; buried Plevna Cemetery, Plevna, Kansas.3,4,6,11
J.N., as he was called, homesteaded land in Huntsville Township, Reno County, Kansas about 1878. Two prarie fires almost persuaded J.N. to go back, but he stayed and eventually started the State Bank of Plevna. He also owned the Plevna lumber yard and owned over 2,000 acres of land at the time of his death in 1941.3
In 1897 J.N. and his brother Emmett purchased a general murchandise store in Plevna, Kansas, and renamed it the "Hinshaw and Hinshaw General Store", which J.N. remained with until 1918.
- "The Hinshaw and Henshaw Families", by William Hinshaw;
edited by Milo Custer; private printing, Bloomington, Illinois, 1911;
Frank I. Miller Co., printers. LDS microfilm number 1402822.
- Birth record for William Lawrence Hinshaw.
- "The History of the Hinshaws", a 1995 manuscript by Dale Nathan Hinshaw.
- "Hinshaw Family": a collection of family group sheets by Edna Harvey Joseph;
LDS FHL microfilm #1572018 items 8-10 and #1572019 items 1-4
- 1910 census, Plevna Township, Reno County, Kansas; ED 153, page 173B (sheet 11B), line #95, dwelling #95, family #98.
- "The Hinshaw Family", an extensive family history manuscript by Heather Hinshaw-Tomas
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Missouri.
- 1870 census, Pleasant Hill P.O., Polk Township, Cass County, Missouri; page 681A, line #1, dwelling #48, family #45.
- 1920 census, Plevna, Reno County, Kansas; roll T625-546, ED 191, page 5A, line #47, dwelling #13, family #16.
- 1930 census, Hutchison, Reno County, Kansas; roll T626-717, ED 23, page 6A, line #47, dwelling #166, family #167.
- Plevna Cemetery burials; Kansas State Library and Archives:
- Contribution from Dale Nathan Hinshaw.
- 1910 census, Plevna Township, Reno County, Kansas; ED 153, page 173A (sheet 11A), line #13, dwelling #69, family #72.
- 1920 census, Plevna, Reno County, Kansas; roll T625-546, ED 191, page 5A, line #41, dwelling #12, family #14-15.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Thu Oct 20 12:33:26 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2018, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]