┌── Jacob Hinshaw
┌── Eli Hinshaw ───┤
│ c1789-? │
│ └── Nancy Ann Clanton
Levi Hinshaw ──────────┤
B: c1821 │ ┌── Jesse Vestal
D: 1863 │ │
└── Phebe Vestal ──┤
└── Martha Cassady
├── Susannah Hinshaw (1844-1915) 1,2,3,4,5
├── Elizabeth Jane Hinshaw (1846-1921) 1,2,3,4,5
M: Permelia Christeson
├── Cynthia Caroline Hinshaw (1852-1925) 1,3,6
├── Andrew Jackson Hinshaw (1853-1935) 1,3,7,8
├── William Walker Parsley Hinshaw (1857-1928) 1,3,9
└── Arten Bower Hinshaw (1860-1952) 1,3,10
Levi Hinshaw [ID 06861]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Levi Hinshaw1,7 [Levi Henshaw2,11].
Born about 1821, Tennessee.1,2,3 (Warren County, Tennessee).12
Note: Levi's approximate birth year and place were consistently reported in two different censuses as c1821, Tennessee. However his parents reportedly did not move to Tennessee until 1830. So in spite of the two consistent censuses it seems more likely that Levi was probably born in North Carolina.13 Note that Levi was not able to read or write, so his birth information was very likely only held by memory and probably unwritten13 (and thus he himself might have mistaken his own birth information).13
In 1830 Levi moved with his father to Franklin County, Tennessee.1
He married ---, before 1843, Tennessee.1 (wife's name currently not known).
His wife died before Nov 1 1850. Levi's first wife apparently died before 1850, as she was not shown with the family in the 1850 census.5
Levi Henshaw (apparently widowed) was shown in the 1850 census (Nov 1 1850), Pulaski County, Missouri, living in the household of his sister and brother-in-law, Charles A. & Elizabeth (Hinshaw) Pippin:2
Levi Henshaw, age 29, born in Tennessee; labourer; cannot read or write.
Also living in Pulaski County, Missouri in 1850 was the family of John A. Hinshaw #10174,14 who was probably closely related.13
He then married Permelia Christeson1,15 [Pamela Christeson16], Missouri1,15. Permelia, daughter of Elisha Christeson & Agnes Drake, was born about 1828, Kentucky.16 (Feb 9 1826).3,15,17,18 (Elisha Christeson & Agnes Ballard).1 (Elisha Christenson & Agnes Geneva Ballard).19
Levi and family were again shown in the 1860 census (Jun 14 1860), Pulaski County, Missouri:3
Levi Henshaw, age 39, born in Tennessee; farmer; $500 real estate; $1000 personal property; cannot read or write.
Parmelia Henshaw, age 34, born in Kentucky; cannot read or write.
During the Civil War Levi was a Confederate private with Company G, 10th Missouri Infantry.20,21
On July 4, 1863 Levi was captured at Helena, Arkansas.20 According to family folklore, Levi was returning to his camp when he was captured by Union soldiers.1 He was then taken as prisoner of war to the Union prison camp at Alton, Illinois.20
Levi Hinshaw died Sep 22 1863, Alton Federal Military Prison, Alton, Madison County, Illinois; buried Jan 1 1867, plot 1 0 1, North Alton Confederate Cemetery, Rozier Street, North Alton, Madison County, Illinois.12,20,21,22,23 Levi died from "Dysenteria Acuta" (acute dysentery).20
Widow Permelia Henshaw was shown in the 1870 census (Aug 6 1870), Waynesville, Cullen Township, Pulaski County, Missouri:9
Henshaw, Permelia, age 42, born in Kentucky; keeping house; $500 real estate; $500 personal property; cannot read or write.
Living next door in 1870 was the family of a William & Mary Pippin24 (relationship, if any, unknown - but note that Levi & family were living with a Pippin family in 1850). Living two houses away in 1870 was the family of Permelia's parents, Elisha (80) & Agnes (69) Christison.25
Widow Permelia was shown in the 1880 census (Jun 9 1880), Cullen Township, Pulaski County, Missouri:26
Hinshaw, Permelia, age 53, born in Kentucky; father born in Maine; mother born in Virginia; widow; farmer; cannot read or write; sick/disabled: "pnuralgia".
Hinshaw, Arden B.Living nearby in 1880 was Permelia's widowed father, Elisha Christeson, and family.27
, son, age 20, born in Missouri; father born in Tennessee; mother born in Kentucky; farmer.
Permelia died May 3 1898, buried Cedar Hill Cemetery, near Waynesville, on the Fort Leonard Wood Military Reservation, Pulaski County, Missouri.17,18,28 Permelia is buried next to her son Andrew.1,17,18
- Contribution from Mary Lavon Cappleman Hocker.
- 1850 census, Pulaski County, Missouri; roll M432-411, page 108, line #7, dwelling #503, family #513.
- 1860 census, Waynesville P.O., Township 35 Range 11, Pulaski County, Missouri; roll M653-641, page 271, line #1, dwelling #206, family #206.
- 1850 census, Pulaski County, Missouri; ED 73, page 108, line #7, dwelling #503, family #513.
- Cynthia Caroline Hinshaw death certificate.
- Death certificate of Andrew Jackson Hinshaw.
- 1870 census, Waynesville, Cullen Township, Pulaski County, Missouri; page 172b, line #8, dwelling #36, household #37.
- 1880 LDS census index, Cullen Township, Pulaski County, Missouri; roll T9-0710, page 365A.
- 1860 census, Waynesville, Pulaski County, Missouri; reel M653-641, Township 35, Range 11, page 271, household #206.
- 1850 census, Pulaski County, Missouri; roll M432-411, page 90A, line #28, dwelling #265, family #274.
- "Biographical Sketch of Elijah J. Christeson, Pulaski County, Missouri"; USGenWeb Archives:
- 1850 census, 72nd District, Pulaski County, Missouri; roll M432-411, page 101, line #9, dwelling #416, family #425.
- Burials in Cedar Hill Cemetery, near Waynesville, Pulaski County, Missouri; USGenWeb Archives:
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Missouri.
- Alton Federal Military Prison records:
- Missouri Secretary of State, State Archives, Soldiers Database:
- "Confederate P.O.W.'s Soldiers & Sailors Who Died In Federal Prisons & Military Hospitals In The North",
by Frances Ingmire & Carolyn Ericson; 1984; ISBN #911317-34-1.
- Burials in North Alton Confederate Cemetery, Alton, Madison County, Illinois:
- 1870 census, Waynesville, Cullen Township, Pulaski County, Missouri; page 172a, line #38, dwelling #35, household #36.
- 1870 census, Waynesville, Cullen Township, Pulaski County, Missouri; page 172b, line #16, dwelling #38, household #39.
- 1880 census, Cullen Township, Pulaski County, Missouri; roll T9-0710, ED 144, page 365A, line #43, dwelling #75, family #77.
- 1880 census, Cullen Township, Pulaski County, Missouri; roll T9-0710, ED 144, page 365A, line #26, dwelling #71, family #73.
- Contribution from Mary Lavon Cappleman Hocker citing: gravestone.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2019, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]