┌── James Hinshaw
James Hinshaw ──────┤
M: Nellie Robertson
├── Hugh Hinshaw (1818-1898) 1
├── Sarah J. Hinshaw (1820-1860) 1
├── Rebecca Hinshaw (1823-1866) 1
├── Caroline Hinshaw (1826-1877) 1
├── Carrel Hinshaw (1832-1882) 1,2
├── James Hinshaw (1834-1864) 1,2
├── William Hinshaw (1837-1869) 1,2
├── John Hinshaw (c1839-1872) 1,2
├── Charles Hinshaw (c1841-1863) 1,2
└── Nellie Hinshaw (c1848-?) 1,2,3,4
James Hinshaw [ID 00711]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Born about 17982 , North Carolina2.
James was a member of the Quaker colony of Winston, North Carolina.5
He married Nellie Robertson1 [Nellie Robinson1, Elen -6, Carolyn Robinson5], 18161. Nellie was born about 1800, Alabama.2,4
James was a farmer.1
James and family moved from Tennessee to Williamson County, Illinois about 1840.7
James Henshaw and family were shown in the 1840 census, Williamson County, Illinois:8
James Henshaw household:
1 male age 40-50 (James).
1 female age 30-40 (Nellie).
James and family were again shown in the 1850 census (Sep 6 1850), Williamson County, Illinois:2
James Henshaw, age 52 [unclear], born in North Carolina; farmer; cannot read or write.
Elen Henshaw, age 50, born in South Carolina; cannot read or write.
Living next door in 1850 was daughter Caroline and her husband.9 Also living nearby was the family of daughter Rebecca.10
James Hinshaw died 1858.1
Widow Nellie Henshaw was shown in the 1860 census, Williamson County, Illinois:4
Nellie Henshaw, age 60, born in Alabama; farmer; $1000 real estate; $200 personal property.
John HenshawLiving next door in 1860 was the family of son William;11 also living nearby in 1860 was the family of son Hugh.12
, age 20, born in Illinois; laborer; attended school.
Nellie died 1860.1
Note that the book "Hinshaw and Henshaw Families" states James and Nellie both died in North Carolina, but they were in fact in Williamson County, Illinois in 18506 and very likely actually died in Illinois. They are probably buried in unmarked graves in the Henshaw Cemetery near Stonefort, Illinois, where their son Hugh is buried.
- "The Hinshaw and Henshaw Families", by William Hinshaw;
edited by Milo Custer; private printing, Bloomington, Illinois, 1911;
Frank I. Miller Co., printers. LDS microfilm number 1402822.
- 1850 census, Williamson County, Illinois; roll M432-133, page 230A, line #11, dwelling #254, family #261.
- Contribution from Linda L. White () citing:
1850 census, Williamson County, Illinois.
- 1860 census, Bolton, Williamson County, Illinois; page 1117 (315), line #4, dwelling #2456, family #2183.
- Obituary of George Allen Henshaw; "The Chronicles of Oklahoma".
- 1850 census, Williamson County, Illinois; roll M432-133, page 230, line #11, family #261.
- "History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin and Williamson Counties. Illinois",
Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1887 (page 898).
Contributed by Jeana Gallagher ()
- 1840 census, Williamson County, Illinois; roll M704-73, page 408.
- 1850 census, Williamson County, Illinois; roll M432-133, page 230A, line #19, dwelling #255, family #262.
- 1850 census, Williamson County, Illinois; roll M432-133, page 229B, line #48, dwelling #251, family #258.
- 1860 census, Bolton, Williamson County, Illinois; page 1117 (315), line #1, dwelling #2455, family #2182.
- 1860 census, Bolton, Williamson County, Illinois; page 314, line #30, dwelling #2452, family #2181.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Sat Oct 22 14:15:45 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2018, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]