┌── Nathan Hinshaw
┌── Charles Alonzo Henshaw ──┤
│ 1865-1948 │
│ └── Rachel Emma Jones
Andrew Henshaw ─────────┤
B: 1901 │ ┌── William Lafette Glasco
D: 1974 │ │
└── Sarah Jane Glasco ───────┤
└── Sarah Rosanna Yaws
M: Edna Melvina Garrett
Andrew Henshaw [ID 07475]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Andrew Henshaw1,2,3,4 [Larry Andrew Henshaw5,6,7,8, Charlie Brooks2,5,6,9,10, Charley Wilson11].
Born Nov 20 1901, Oklahoma.1,3,9,10,11
At age 14 Andrew ran away and joined the army. Later he deserted the army and returned to live near Weleetka, Oklahoma, living (apparently the rest of his life) under the alias Charlie Brooks. About five years before he died, the army sent him discharge papers - they had apparently known all along where he was living.2
He married Edna Melvina Garrett, 1916, McIntosh County, Oklahoma.2,4,7 Edna, daughter of Marion T. Garrett & Mary Elizabeth Guess, was born Jan 15 1898, Indian Territory.7,11,12,13
Edna had been previously married to J.A. Smallwood, Oct 18 1913, Sebastian County, Arkansas.7,14
Andrew (Charlie) adopted a Colleen --, sister to a Margaret Faye -- who was adopted by sister Lilly Henshaw (it is believed that their parents had died).2
Andrew (Charlie) and Edna were shown in the 1920 census (Jan 3 1920), living in the household of Edna's brother James E. Garrett, Sixth St., Eufaula, McIntosh County, Oklahoma:11
Wilson, Charley, boarder, age 18, born in Oklahoma; father born in Kansas; mother born in Arkansas; occupation: laborer, bridge.
Wilson, Edna, boarder, age 22, born in Oklahoma; father born in Mississippi; mother born in Arkansas; cannot read or write.
Andrew (Charlie) and Edna were shown in the 1930 census (Apr 29 1930), Wetumka, Hughes County, Oklahoma:9
Brooks, Charley, head-of-household, age 29, born in Oklahoma; father born in Kansas; mother born in Arkansas; first married at age 15; rented home ($10 rent); no radio in home; occupation: laborer, farm; not a war veteran.
Brooks, Edna, wife, age 34, born in Oklahoma; father born in Mississippi; mother born in Arkansas; first married at age 20.
Andrew (Charlie) and family were shown in the 1940 census, Wetumka, Hughes County, Oklahoma:10
Brooks, Charlie, head-of-household, age 39, born in Indian Territory; on Apr 1 1935 was living in Weleetka, Okfuskee County, Oklahoma; rented home ($3/month rent); occupation: farm hand, farming; worked 52 weeks in 1939; $364 wages in 1939, plus other income.
Brooks, Edna, wife, age 44, born in Arkansas; on Apr 1 1935 was living in Weleetka, Okfuskee County, Oklahoma.
Brooks, Yvonne, daughter, age 7, born in Oklahoma; on Apr 1 1935 was living in Weleetka, Okfuskee County, Oklahoma.
Blankenship, Betty, mother-in-law, age 85, born in Texas; on Apr 1 1935 was living in Weleetka, Okfuskee County, Oklahoma; widow.
Edna died Mar 11 1960, Bakersfield, Kern County, California.7,12,13
In 1974 Andrew was living in/near Chickasha, Grady County, Oklahoma.3
Andrew Henshaw died Apr 9 1974, Okfuskee County, Oklahoma; buried Block 22 R 7, Rose Hill Cemetery, Chickasha, Grady County, Oklahoma.3,5,6,7,8
Photo: Andrew Henshaw & Edna Melvina Garrett
Photo: Edna Melvina Garrett
Social Security information for Andrew Henshaw: 565-50-6512
- 1910 census, Bearden Township, Okfuskee County, Oklahoma; roll T624-1265, ED 135, page 94A, line #29, dwelling #154, family #154.
- Contribution from Jo (Henshaw) Shelton.
- "Social Security Death Index" (as it is commonly called), derived from
the Social Security Administration "Death Master File".
- McIntosh County, Oklahoma marriages, Book 5 (1916-1918), USGenWeb Archives:
- Ancestry Family Tree data "Sanders Family Tree" posted by "sandersshelly".
- Ancestry Family Tree data "Cardwell/Holley Clan" posted by "Joann Bowens".
- Ancestry Family Tree data "Garrett Family Tree" posted by "katelyngarrett".
- 1930 census, Wetumka, Hughes County, Oklahoma; roll T626-1907, ED 29, page 17B, line #57, dwelling #306, family #322.
- 1940 census, Wetumka, Hughes County, Oklahoma; roll T627-3298, ED 32-28A, page 8B, line #78, household #140.
- 1920 census, Eufaula, McIntosh County, Oklahoma; roll T625-1471, ED 47, page 2A, line #35, dwelling #30, family #30.
- Ancestry Family Tree data "King Family" posted by "charann48".
- California, Death Index, 1940-1997; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Arkansas, County Marriages Index, 1837-1957; http://www.ancestry.com.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2017, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]