+-- John Hinshaw | 1724-1783 +-- Thomas Hinshaw ----+ | 1764-1822 | | +-- Rebecca Wethereld | c1731-1783 Stephen Hinshaw -----------+ B: 1803 | +-- Henry Holliday D: 1854 | | +-- Rebecca Holliday --+ 1764-1848 | +-- Mary Fayle M: Gulia Elma Maria Hoover +-- Millicent Hinshaw, 1827-1887 +-- Andrew Hinshaw, 1829-1911 +-- John Sidney Hinshaw, 1830-1916 +-- Thomas Hinshaw, 1832-1872 +-- Enos Hinshaw, 1834-1900 +-- Alcinda Hinshaw, 1837-1839 +-- William Henry Hinshaw, 1839-1909 +-- Rebecca H. Hinshaw, 1841-1928 +-- Martha Ann Hinshaw, 1844-1901 +-- Ira P. Hinshaw, 1847-1913
|Stephen Hinshaw     [ID 00831]||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view:|
Born 7-3-1803, Marlborough MM, Guilford County, North Carolina.2,44,55,65,103,221
He married Gulia Elma Maria Hoover, Nov 22 1826, Randolph County, North Carolina.44,55,65,221    (Gulielma Maria Hoover)2,44    (Gulielma Mariah Hoover)65,103    (Greta L. Maria Hoover)36,44    (Gulaelma M. Hoover)53    (Guly E. Mariah Hoover)221    (Elma Hoover)221    Gulia, daughter of John Hoover & Millicent Winslow, was born 11-23-1806, Randolph County, North Carolina.53,55,65,103    (Nov 22 1806).221
A marriage bond was recorded for Stephen Hinshaw & Greta L. Maria Hoover on November 20, 1826, Randolph County, North Carolina.36
At Back Creek MM (N.C.) on 1-31-1827, Gulielma Maria was disowned for her marriage out of unity.2
Gulia Elma was the great grandaughter of Andreas Huber (1723-1794), who was the great-great-great grandfather of Herbert Clark Hoover, 31st President of the United States.    Gulia Elma's lineage was as follows:55
Andreas & Margaret Huber (Hoover)Herber Hoover's lineage:55
Jonas Hoover & Rachel Briles
John Hoover & Millicent Winslow
Gulia Elma Hoover
Andreas & Margaret Huber (Hoover)
John Hoover & Sarah Burkhart
Jesse Hoover & Rebecca Yount
Eli Hoover & Mary Davis
Jesse Clark Hoover & Hulda Randall Minthorn
A Bastardy Bond was recorded May 2 1827 in North Carolina for the birth of a bastard son of Elizabeth Wall.    The bond named Stephen Hinshaw as the baby's father.a    Elizabeth Wall (b. 1804) was the daughter of Samuel and Mary Wall, who lived next door to Stephen's parents.a    The dates seem to indicate that this child was conceived just prior to Stephen's marriage to Gulielma.
Gulia Elma was small and frail, but when she and Stephen moved to Indiana in 1830, she walked off and on almost half the way, carrying baby John.55    Gulia Elma was considered a dexterous spinner.55
Stephan and family were shown in the 1850 census, Clay Township, Hamilton County, Indiana, as follows:b
Widow Elma and family were shown in the 1860 census (Jul 14 1860), Clay Township, Hamilton County, Indiana:c
Gulia died Apr 16 1873, near Carmel, Hamilton County, Indiana; age 66 years, 4 months, 24 days; buried Poplar Ridge MM, Indiana.55,65,103,221
2. "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy", by William Wade Hinshaw, in many well-stocked libraries.
36. "North Carolina Marriage Bonds" fiche in the LDS Family History Library.
44. The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS) International Genealogical Index (IGI) - North Carolina.
53. "Abstracts of the Records of the Society of Friends in Indiana", Part 6, subtitled "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Volume VII", (a compendium of many of the records left by William Wade Hinshaw on his death), edited by Willard Heiss; GS929.3 H47 in a local library.
55. "Genealogy of the Herbert Hoover Family", Herbert Hoover Institute, 929.2 H789 in a local library.
65. "Genealogy of Hinshaw/Henshaw" by DoraLee Harvey Hatley (see Mary Jane Hinshaw), in the LDS Family History Library, microfilm #0982181, item 4.
103. "Additions, Corrections, & Comments - Abstracts of the Record of the Society of Friends in Indiana", by Roger S. Boone, 1978, Springfield, Ohio; In the Newberry Library in Chicago.
221. Family bible, originally owned by James F. Haines, passed down to Martha Ruddell Haines & Enos Hinshaw, then to James Thomas Hinshaw, Etta Margaret Hinshaw, George Wesley Hinshaw, and Raymond James Hinshaw. Contributed by Hilfred Hoffman ()
(a) Contribution from Tim Walls ().
(b) 1850 census, Clay Township, Hamilton County, Indiana; roll 148, page 39; dwelling #162.
(c) 1860 census, Carmel P.O., Clay Township, Hamilton County, Indiana; page 393, line #30, dwelling #1261, family #1261.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
Return to HFA Home Page
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]