┌── Benjamin H. Hinshaw
┌── William Benjamin Hinshaw ──┤
│ 1808-1891 │
│ └── Annas Bowman
Barnabas Coffin Hinshaw ───┤
B: 1841 │ ┌── Joseph Coffin
D: 1928 │ │
└── Hannah Coffin ─────────────┤
└── Hannah Ballenger
M: Leah Ellen Raber
├── Benjamin Franklin Hinshaw (1868-1957) 1,2,3
├── C.R. Hinshaw (1870-1872) 1
├── Noble Coffin Hinshaw (1876-?) 1,2,4
└── Ella J. Hinshaw (1884-1957) 1,3,4
Barnabas Coffin Hinshaw [ID 00949]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Barnabas Coffin Hinshaw5,6,7,8,9 [Barney C. Hinshaw10,11, Barney C. Henshaw12].
Born Mar 7 1841, Springfield MM, Wayne County, Indiana.2,4,6,7,8,12,13
Barney served in Company G, 34th Ohio Infantry.12
He married Leah Ellen Raber1,10 [Leah Ellen Raben11], Jul 11 18671,10, Wayne County, Indiana1,10. Leah, daughter of Benjamin + Sarah Raber, was born Oct 20 1844, Indiana.2,4,12,13,14,15
An article was published in the "Indianapolis Journal" (Indianapolis, Indiana) on April 22, 1870 (abstracted here):16
Hinshaw, Barnabas C., accused of fatally stabbing Abraham Heaston.
Barney and family were shown in the 1880 census (Jun 17 1880), Beaty Township, Carroll County, Missouri:2
Henshaw, Barney, age 38, born in Indiana; parents born in North Carolina; farmer.
Henshaw, Leah, wife, age 28, born in Indiana; parents born in Pennsylvania; keeping house.
Henshaw, Benj. F.
, son, age 12, born in Indiana; parents born in Indiana; attended school.
, son, age 4, born in Indiana; parents born in Indiana; attended school.
Barney and family were shown in the 1900 census (Jun 1 1900), Lincoln Township, Grant County, Kansas:4
Henshaw, Barney, age 59, born Mch 1841 in Indiana; parents born in North Carolina; married 32 years; occupation: farmer; owned farm (free).
Henshaw, Leah, wife, age 55, born Oct 1844 in Indiana; parents born in Pennsylvania; married 32 years; 5 children, 3 living.
Henshaw, Noble C.
, son, age 24, born Mch 1876 in Illinois; parents born in Indiana; occupation: farmer.
Henshaw, Ella J.
, daughter, age 15, born Dec 1884 in Missouri; parents born in Indiana; attended school 5 months.
Barney and family were shown in the 1920 census (Jan 7 1920), 207 N. 10th Street, Garden City, Finney County, Kansas:3
Hinshaw, Barney C., head-of-household, age 79, born in Indiana; parents born in North Carolina; owned home; retired.
Hinshaw, Leh E., wife, age 76, born in Indiana; parents born in Pennsylvania.
Hinshaw, Ben F.
, son, age 50, born in Indiana; parents born in Indiana; single; occupation: laborer, street.
Contra, Ella J.
, daughter, age 30, born in Missouri; parents born in Indiana; widow; occupation: stenographer, [..unclear..].
Leah died May 13 1923, buried May 16 1923, Zone B, Lot 296, Space 6, Valley View Cemetery, 2901 N. 3rd St., Garden City, Finney County, Kansas.12,13
Barnabas Coffin Hinshaw died Dec 19 1928, buried Dec 22 1928, Zone B, Lot 296, Space 7, Valley View Cemetery, 2901 N. 3rd St., Garden City, Finney County, Kansas.9,12,13
Barney and Leah are buried next to son Benjamin.12 Also buried in the same cemetery is cousin William Jonathan Hinshaw and his wife and daughter.12
Photo: Barnabas Coffin Hinshaw & Leah Ellen Raber gravestone Valley View Cemetery
- "Hinshaw Family": a collection of family group sheets by Edna Harvey Joseph;
LDS FHL microfilm #1572018 items 8-10 and #1572019 items 1-4
- 1880 census, Beaty Township, Carroll County, Missouri; roll T9-679, ED 151, page 456A, line #44, dwelling #152, family #153.
- 1920 census, Garden City, Finney County, Kansas; roll T625-532, ED 44, page 5B, line #71, dwelling #101, family #110.
- 1900 census, Lincoln Township, Grant County, Kansas; roll T623-481, ED 353, page 1A, line #11, dwelling #3, family #3.
- "Hinshaw-Bernard and Related Families"
by Cordelia E. Bogue Wright, in the Family History Library of
the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS),
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Indiana.
- "Abstracts of the Records of the Society of Friends in Indiana", Part 2,
subtitled "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Volume VII",
(a compendium of many of the records left by William Wade Hinshaw on
his death), edited by Willard Heiss; GS929.3 H47 in a local library.
- "Webster Parry's Abstracts of Quaker Records", LDS microfilm #0367987
- Contribution from A. M. Greenlee ().
- "Index to Marriage Records, Wayne County, Indiana 1860-1920 Volume II",
Indiana Work Projects Administration, 1941; book C-I, pg 531.
- Wayne County, Indiana, marriage records database:
- RootsWeb WorldConnect GEDCOM from John Helms ().
- 1850 census, Harrison Township, Wayne County, Indiana; page 45, line #12, dwelling #32, family #32.
- 1860 census, Harrison Township, Wayne County, Indiana; page 489, line #29, dwelling #15, family #15.
- Indiana State Library, "Indianapolis Newspapers Database, 1848-1991":
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2019, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]