1. William Henshall m Margerie Gyll
2.. Thomas Henshall (?-c1631) m - Kendrick
3... John Henshall (1611-c1687) m Elizabeth -
4.... William Hinshaw (?-1699) m Elizabeth -
5..... Thomas Hinshaw (c1680-?) m Mary Marshall (c1685-?)
6...... Absolom Hinshaw (1728-?) m Rebecca Haddock
7....... Absolom Hinshaw (1752-1830) m Elizabeth Hinshaw (c1753-1833)
8........ Stephen Hinshaw (1797-1877) m Hannah Davis (1804-1881)
9......... Amos S. Hinshaw (1839-1930) m Edith C. Mill (1847-1908)
10.......... Carl Franz Hinshaw (1877-1931)
+Bertha Louise Hutchens (1884-1973)
11........... Suzanne E. Hinshaw (1919-2004) 1,2,3,4
11........... Carl Franz Hinshaw, Jr. (1922-1997) 1,2,5
Carl Franz Hinshaw [ID 01213]
||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view: |
Born Dec 26 18772,6,7 [Dec 26 18768,9,10,11, about 187912], Westfield MM, Hamilton County, Indiana2,6,7.
Carl was shown in the 1900 census (Jun 2 1900), living with his parents and family in Washington Township, Hamilton County, Indiana:9
Hinshaw, Carl F., son, age 23, born Dec 1876 in Indiana; father born in North Carolina; mother born in Indiana; single; occupation: stenographer.
But Carl was doubly-enumerated in the 1900 census, being again shown (Jun 11 1900) living in a boarding house at 187 Cass Street, Chicago, Illinois:10
Hinshaw, F. Carl, boarder, age 23, born Dec 1876 in Indiana; father born in North Carolina; mother born in Indiana; single; occupation: stenographer.
Carl was shown in the 1910 census (Apr 20 1910), 1505 Jefferson Ave. (apparently an apartment building), Toledo, Lucas County, Ohio:12
Hinshaw, Carl F, head-of-household, age 31, born in Indiana; father born in North Carolina; mother born in Indiana; single; occupation: advertising, street rail; rented home.
Doering, Harry H., companion, age 26, born in Ohio; parents born in Ohio; single; occupation: salesman, automobile.
He married Bertha Louise Hutchens.1,13 Bertha, daughter of Oscar B. Hutchens & Clara B. Reed14,15,16, was born Jul 27 188414,15,16 [Jul 27 188217, about 18863, about 18882], Indiana14,15,16.
On Sep 12 1918 Carl Franz Hinshaw, age 42, registered for the World War I draft in Chicago, Illinois. He declared he was born December 26 1876 and was then residing at 5243 Ingleside Ave. in Chicago. His occupation was "solicter" [sic] with "St Railway Ad Co." of 105 S. LaSalle, Chicago. He declared his nearest relative was Mrs. Bertha L. Hinshaw of 5243 Ingleside, Chicago. He was recorded as medium height, medium build, gray eyes, gray hair.11
Carl and family were shown in the 1920 census (Jan 2 1920) Chicago, Cook County, Illinois:3
Hinshaw, Carl F, head-of-household, age 42 [unclear], born in Indiana; rented home; [occupation unclear].
Hinshaw, Bertha A, wife, age 34, born in Indiana; father born in Indiana; mother born in Indiana.
, daughter, age 5 months [unclear], born in Iowa; parents born in Indiana.
Carl and Bertha lived in Maquoketa, Jackson County, Iowa, later moving to Lake Wales, Polk County, Florida.1
Carl and family were shown in the 1930 census (Apr 10 1930), Starr Lake, Polk County, Florida:2
Hinshaw, Carl F., head-of-household, age 52, born in Indiana; father born in North Carolina; mother born in Indiana; first married at age 42; rented home ($50 rent); radio in home; occupation: florist, ornamental nursery; not a veteran.
Hinshaw, Bertha L., wife, age 42, born in Indiana; parents born in Indiana; first married at age 32.
Carl Franz Hinshaw died 1931, Polk County, Florida.1,17
Carl left his family nearly penniless, having lost his life savings in the stock market crash of 1929. In order to support the family, Bertha turned their house into a restaurant, a family business that was later passed to son Carl Jr. and to his children.1
In 1973 Bertha was still living in/near Lake Wales, Pold County, Florida.14
Bertha died Apr 4 1973, Polk County, Florida; age 90.14,17
Photo: Carl Franz Hinshaw World War I Draft Registration Card
Social Security information for Bertha Louise Hutchens: 266-50-1841
- Obituary of Carl Franz Hinshaw, Jr.:
"The Sun-Sentinel Ft. Lauderdale", September 14, 1997, pg 7B;
(UMI Obituaries 1990-1997. Orem, UT: Ancestry Incorporated, 1998).
- 1930 census, Starr Lake, Polk County, Florida; roll T626-331, ED 62, page 4A, line #23, dwelling #78, family #82.
- 1920 census, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois; roll T625-309, ED 330, page 1A, line #18, dwelling #3, family #7.
- Obituary of Carl Franz Hinshaw, Jr..
- "The Sun-Sentinel Ft. Lauderdale", September 14, 1997, pg 7B;
(UMI Obituaries 1990-1997. Orem, UT: Ancestry Incorporated, 1998).
- "Abstracts of the Records of the Society of Friends in Indiana", Part 6,
subtitled "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Volume VII",
(a compendium of many of the records left by William Wade Hinshaw on
his death), edited by Willard Heiss; GS929.3 H47 in a local library.
- U.S., Quaker Meeting Records, 1681-1935; http://www.ancestry.com.
- 1880 census, Washington Township, Hamilton County, Indiana; roll T9-281, ED 38, page 386A, line #19, dwelling #46, family #49.
- 1900 census, Washington Township, Hamilton County, Indiana; roll T623-375, ED 91, page 2B, line #69, dwelling #46, family #48.
- 1900 census, 24th Ward, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois; roll T623-274, ED 719, page 13A, line #44, dwelling #91, family #184.
- World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918; http://www.ancestry.com.
- 1910 census, Toledo, Lucas County, Ohio; roll T624-1209, ED 82, page 63A, line #6, family #212.
- Contribution from Tina Hinshaw Farewell.
- "Social Security Death Index" (as it is commonly called), derived from
the Social Security Administration "Death Master File".
- 1900 census, 1205 Benson Avenue, 2nd Ward, Evanston, Cook County, Illinois; roll T623-292, ED 1156, page 32A, line #14, dwelling #488, family #569.
- 1910 census, 962 Cambridge Ave., 18th Ward, Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin; roll T624-1727, ED 210, page 14B, line #97, dwelling #167, family #301.
- Florida Death Index, 1936-1998; http://www.ancestry.com.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Sat Oct 22 14:15:45 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2017, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]