1. William Henshaw (1818-1872) m Marilla Sweet (1828-1899)
2.. Martha J. Hanshaw (1859-?)
+Martin Dennis Tapp (1858-1946)
Martha J. Hanshaw [ID 12217]
||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view: |
Born Jan - 1859, Iowa.1,2,3,4,5,6
She married Martin Dennis Tapp, about 1880.4,7 Martin, son of Elijah Tapp & Rachel Dennis, was born Jun 27 1858, Illinois.4,5,8,9,10,11
Children (all born in Kansas):4,10
Minnie R. Tapp, born Nov 1881; married Morris G. Waite.
Ernest/Earnest Alonzo Tapp, born May 19 1882 [or May 1883]; married 1) Cora Inness Hironimous, 2) Mary Ellen O'Brien.
Robert Oliver Tapp, born Nov 11 1885; died Apr 23 1956, Stanislaus County, California, buried Modesto Citizensí Cemetery, Modesto; married 1) Anna Cline, 2) Olive --.
Pearl Martin Tapp, born Nov 25 1886, Colwich, Kansas; married Susie Tichner.
Bertha M. Tapp, born Nov 1889; married J.R. Haley.
Raymond/Ray Bryan Tapp, born Jul 18 1897, Maize, Kansas; died Nov 4 1973, Los Angeles County, California; married Helen Ruth --.
Orpha M. Tapp, born May 1900; died in infancy, buried Maize Park Cemetery.
Martin Dennis Tapp, with his brother James W. Tapp and Martha's brother Oliver Leman Hanshaw, owned and operated a general store on Main St. in Wichita, Kansas from the 1890's to the 1920's. The name of the store was "Tapp Brothers & Hanshaw Red Front Racket".7
Martha and family were shown in the 1900 census (Jun 11-12 1900), Park Township, Sedgwick County, Kansas:4
Tapp, Martin D., head-of-household, age 41, born June 1858 in Illinois; parents born in Ohio; married 21 years; occupation: farmer; owned farm (mortgaged).
Tapp, Martha J., wife, age 41, born Jan 1859 in Illinois; parents born in Pennsylvania; married 21 years; 7 children, 7 living.
Tapp, Minnie R., daughter, age 18, born Nov 1881 in Kansas; parents born in Illinois; attended school 5 months.
Tapp, Ernest A., son, age 17, born May 1883 in Kansas; parents born in Illinois; attended school 5 months.
Tapp, Robert O., son, age 15, born Nov 1885 in Kansas; parents born in Illinois; attended school 6 months.
Tapp, Pearl [..initial unclear..], son, age 13, born Nov 1886 in Kansas; parents born in Illinois; attended school 6 months.
Tapp, Bertha, daughter, age 10, born Nov 1889 in Kansas; parents born in Illinois; attended school 6 months.
Tapp, Bryan [..initial unclear..], son, age 2, born July 1897 in Kansas; parents born in Illinois.
Tapp, Orpha M., daughter, age 1 month, born May 1900 in Kansas; parents born in Illinois.
Martha and Martin were shown in the 1920 census (Jan 5 1920), 201 Sycamore, Wichita, Sedgwick County, Kansas:5
Tapp, Martin, head-of-household, age 61, born in Illinois; parents born in Illinois; owned home (mortgaged); occupation: traveling salesman, grocery co.
Tapp, Martha J., wife, age 60, born in Iowa; father born in Pennsylvania; mother born in Canada.
It appears that Martha and Martin separated or divorced sometime between 1920 and 1930.
Martha was shown in the 1930 census (Apr 8 1930), living (or staying) in a lodging house (without Martin) in Seattle, King County, Washington:6
Milton, Elizabeth, head-of-household, age 84, born in Scotland; parents born in Scotland; immigrated 1870, naturalized; widow; owned home ($1000 value); no radio in home; occupation: none.
Tapp, Martha, lodger, age 71, born in Iowa; father born in Pennsylvania; mother born in Canada; widow; occupation: none.
Martin was shown separately in the 1930 census (Apr 8 1930), Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California:9
Tapp, Martin D., head-of-household, age 70, born in Illinois; parents born in Ohio; widower, first married at age 20; rented home ($45 rent); no radio in home; occupation: proprietor, grocery; not a war veteran.
Tagge, Elsie, housekeeper, age 57, born in Switzerland; parents born in Switzerland; immigrated 1903, naturalized; widow; occupation: servant, family.
Martin died Oct 11 1946, Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California.10,11,15,16
Photo: Martha J. Hanshaw
Photo: Martha J. Hanshaw, Martin Dennis Tapp and children
- 1860 census, Westerville P.O., Milford, Richland Township, Decatur County, Iowa; page 51, line #15, dwelling #359, family #340.
- 1870 census, Chelsea Township, Butler County, Kansas; page 667, line #34, dwelling #15, family #15.
- 1880 census, Bruno Township, Butler County, Kansas; roll T9-0375, ED 157, page 103C-D, line #47, dwelling #86, family #87.
- 1900 census, Park Township, Sedgwick County, Kansas; roll T623-499, ED 270, page 4B, line #74, dwelling #69, family #69.
- 1920 census, 5th Ward, Wichita, Sedgwick County, Kansas; roll T625-550, ED 150, page 6A, line #1, dwelling #73, family #94.
- 1930 census, Seattle, King County, Washington; roll T626-2502, ED 190, page 28A, line #1, dwelling #183, family #177.
- Contribution from ().
- 1880 census, Pleasant Township, Butler County, Kansas; roll T9-375, ED 157, page 105A, line #27, dwelling #108, family #109.
- 1930 census, Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California; roll T626-152, ED 535, page 6B, line #55, dwelling #215, family #215.
- RootsWeb WorldConnect data by Kami Olsson-Tapp ().
- California Death Index, 1940-1997; http://www.ancestry.com.
- World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Burials in Modesto Citizensí Cemetery, Modesto, Stanislaus County, California; USGenWeb Archives:
- "Social Security Death Index" (as it is commonly called), derived from
the Social Security Administration "Death Master File".
- RootsWeb California Death Index:
- VitalSearch California Death Index 1940-2000:
- Photo courtesy of ().
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2018, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]