1. William Henshall m Margerie Gyll
2.. Thomas Henshall (?-c1631) m - Kendrick
3... John Henshall (1611-c1687) m Elizabeth -
4.... William Hinshaw (?-1699) m Elizabeth -
5..... Thomas Hinshaw (c1680-?) m Mary Marshall (c1685-?)
6...... Jacob Hinshaw (1710-1796) m Rebecca Mackey (c1716-1796)
7....... Thomas Hinshaw (c1749-1825) m Hannah Seasfield (c1745-1835)
8........ Thomas Hinshaw (1775-1824) m Lucy Clanton (1773-1859)
9......... Benjamin J. Hinshaw (1795-1860) m Ruth Carter (1792-1882)
10.......... James Clinton Hinshaw (1815-1857) m Martha Hunter (c1813-?)
11........... John David Hinshaw (1847-1926) m Ruth Elizabeth Hinshaw (1857-1887)
12............ Benjamin Pettis Hinshaw (1879-1942)
+Edith Rabe (1890-)
13............. Hazel Hinshaw (1909-) 1,2
Benjamin Pettis Hinshaw [ID 02020]
||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view: |
Born Feb 9 18791,2,3,4,5,6,7 [Feb 9 18818], California1,2,3,4,5,6,7.
Ben was shown in the 1910 census (May 10 1910), living and working in the household of cousin William Pettis Hinshaw in Petaluma Township, Sonoma County, California:5
Hinshaw, Ben, servant, age 31, born in California; father born in North Carolina; mother born in Missouri; single; occupation: laborer, farm.
He married Edith Rabe7 [Edith M. Squires9], Oct 9 19157, Santa Rosa, Sonoma County, California7. Edith, daughter of - + Ella Squires, was born Mar - 1890, California.1,2,7,9,10
Edith, whose mother Ella Squires had remarried c1900 to a Henry I. Cameron,1,9,10 had been previously married to an Otto C. Rabe, by whom she had a daughter, Hazel E. Rabe,2,10,11 who apparently sometimes used the name Hazel Hinshaw.1,12
On Sep 12 1918 Benjamin Pettis Hinshaw, age 39, registered for the World War I draft in Sebastapol, Sonoma County, California. He declared he was born February 9 1879, and was then residing in Petaluma, Sonoma County, California where he was a self-employed farmer. He declared his nearest relative was Mrs. Edith M. Hinshaw of Petaluma. He was recorded as medium height, slender, light blue eyes, light brown hair, and "left hand crippled".6
Benjamin and family were shown in the 1920 census (Jan 28 1920), Liberty Road, Petaluma, Sonoma County, California:1
Hinshaw, Benjamin, head-of-household, age 40, born in California; father born in North Carolina; mother born in California; owned home (mortgaged); occupation: farmer, poultry-fruit.
Hinshaw, Edith, wife, age 29, born in California; father born in New York; mother born in Iowa.
Cameron, Ella, mother-in-law, age 65, born in Iowa; father born in Kentucky; mother born in Ohio.
, daughter, age 10, born in California; father born in California; mother born in U.S.; attended school.
Cameron, Henry, father-in-law, age 83, born in Illinois; parents born in Scotland.
In 1926 Ben was living in San Francisco.13
Benjamim was shown in the 1929 San Francisco city directory:12
HINSHAW Benj P (Edith) barber h954 Chenery
Benjamin and family were shown in the 1930 census (Apr 16 1930), living with Edith's parents at 954 Chenery St., San Francisco, California:2
Cameron, Henry I., head-of-household, age 92, born in Ohio; father born in Scotland; mother born in Ohio; first married at age 30; owned home ($5000 value); radio in home; occupation: none; Civil War veteran.
Cameron, Ella, wife, age 75, born in Iowa; father born in Kentucky; mother born in Ohio; first married at age 20.
Hinshaw, Ben P., son-in-law, age 51, born in California; parents born in North Carolina; first married at age 35; occupation: barber, shop; not a war veteran.
Hinshaw, Edith M., daughter, age 40, born in California; father born in New York; mother born in Iowa; first married at age 18.
Rabe, Hazel E.
, granddaughter, age 20, born in California; father born in Indiana; mother born in California; occupation: stenographer, office.
Benjamim was shown in the 1933 San Francisco telephone directory:14
Hinshaw Benj P r 954 Chenery .... RA ndlph-3518
Benjamin Pettis Hinshaw died Mar 2 1942, Sonoma County, California.8
- 1920 census, Petaluma, Sonoma County, California; roll T625-151, ED 141, page 13B, line #59, family #330.
- 1930 census, San Francisco, San Francisco County, California; roll T626-197, ED 88, page 18B, line #91.
- 1880 census, Analy Township, Sonoma County, California; ED 133, page 261C, line #11, dwelling #78, family #84.
- 1900 census, Bloomfield Precinct, Sonoma County, California; roll T623-114, ED 155, page 21B, line #67, dwelling #459, family #467.
- 1910 census, Petaluma Township, Sonoma County, California; roll T624-109, ED 148, page 22A-B, line #48, dwelling #467, family #467.
- World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Contribution from Richard Burton and John Burton citing:
Sonoma County, California, marriage license records.
- RootsWeb California Death Index:
- 1900 census, Petaluma Township, Sonoma County, California; roll T623-114, ED 165, page 4B, line #79, dwelling #78, family #81.
- 1910 census, Petaluma Township, Sonoma County, California; roll T624-109, ED 148, page 31A, line #46, dwelling #650, family #650.
- California Birth Index, 1905-1995; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Contribution from Richard Burton citing:
1929 San Francisco city directory.
- Contribution from Richard Burton citing:
John David Hinshaw's obituary.
- VitalSearch 1933 San Francisco telephone directory:
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Sat Oct 22 14:15:45 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2018, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]