1. Nicholas Hancher (1705-1777) m Rebecca Smith (c1707-?)
2.. William Henshaw (1736-1799) m Agnes Ann Anderson (c1745-<1806)
3... Levi Henshaw (1769-1843) m Ann McConnell (1778-1839)
4.... Levi Henshaw (1815-1896) m Sarah Ann Snodgrass (1827-1899)
5..... Mary Bell Henshaw (1866-1952)
+Dr. Isaac Henry Gardiner (1866-1936)
Mary Bell Henshaw [ID 03610]
||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view: |
Mary Bell Henshaw1,2 [Mabel Henshaw3,4,5].
Born Sep 7 18661,2,4,5,6 [about 18757], Mill Creek, Berkeley County, West Virginia1,2,4,5,6. Mabel was a twin of sister Fanney.2,3,5
She married Dr. Isaac Henry Gardiner1,3,5,6,8,9,10,11,12,13 [Samuel Isaac Henry Gardiner14], about 18881,3,5,6,8,9,10,11,12,13. Isaac, son of Isaac Gardiner & Julia Ann Goodwin Miller, was born Jan 27 1866, Baltimore, Maryland.10,11,12,13,15
Ann/Anna Henshaw Gardiner, born Jul 3 1890, West Virginia; a teacher at Duke University.
Robert Henry Gardiner, born Dec 15 1891/1892, Hedgesville, Berkeley County, West Virginia; married Alma A. -- (child: Robert H. Gardiner, c1918).
Mabel was shown in the 1900 census (Jun 8 1900), living (or staying) in a boarding house at 833 Locust Avenue, Fairmont, Marion County, West Virginia:6
Gardener, M. Hanshaw, boarder, age 33, born Sep 1866 in West Virginia; parents born in West Virginia; married 11 years; 2 children, 2 living; occupation: teacher.
Mabel's children were shown in the 1900 census (Jun 21 1900), living in the household of sister Lillie on St. Mary [street], Hedgesville, Berkeley County, West Virginia:16
Gardiner, Anna, niece, age 9, born July 1890 in West Virginia; father born in Maryland; mother born in West Virginia; attended school 8 months.
Gardiner, Robert, nephew, age 8, born Dec 1891 in West Virginia; father born in Maryland; mother born in West Virginia; attended school 8 months.
Husband Isaac was shown in the 1900 census (Jun 4 1900), living (or staying) as a lodger in the home of a Joseph Bell at 1701 Lexington Street, Baltimore, Maryland:12
Gardner, Isaac H., lodger, age 34, born Jan 1866 in Maryland; parents born in Maryland; married; occupation: physician.
The following article was published in the "Bluefield Daily Telegraph" (Bluefield, West Virginia) on June 21, 1904:20
NORMAL TEACHERS FOR
NEXT YEAR APPOINTED
One Change in Concord
Faculty -- Prof. Ford
The board of regents of the State Normal schools at their recent meeting, in adddition [sic] to transacting routine business selected the teachers for next year. The entire board was present.
Following is a complete list of the appointments made:
Shepherd College -- J. G. Knutte, principal; J. D. Muldoom, first assistant; Mrs. Mabel Henshaw Gardner [sic], Elizabeth H. Stalnaker, Anna B. Woolery, Blanche Corbin. Elocution, Miss Stier.
Mabel and daughter Anna were shown in the 1910 census (Apr 15 1910), living with sisters Annie Laura and Fannie at 119 North Maple Ave., Martinsburg, Berkeley County, West Virginia:7
Williams, Laura H.
, head-of-household, age 52, born in West Virginia; parents born in West Virginia; widow; 3 children, 3 living; occupation: none; owned home (free).
, daughter, age 26, born in West Virginia; parents born in West Virginia; single; occupation: none.
, sister, age 35, born in West Virginia; parents born in West Virginia; single; occupation: clerk, U.S. Rev. Off.
Gardner, Mabel, sister, age 35, born in West Virginia; parents born in West Virginia; widow; 4 children, 4 living; occupation: teacher, Shep. College.
Gardner, Anna, niece, age 19, born in West Virginia; parents born in West Virginia; single; attended school.
Husband Isaac was shown in the 1910 census (Apr 21 1910), Maryland Penitentiary, Baltimore, Maryland:13
Gardiner, Isaac H., prisoner, age 44, born in Maryland; parents born in Maryland; first marriage, married 22 years; occupation: clerk, shirt factory.
Mabel and daughter Anna were shown in the 1930 census (Apr 5 1930), living with sister Fannie at 119 Maple Ave., Martinsburg, Berkeley County, West Virginia:21,22
, head-of-household, age "50+", born in West Virginia; parents born in Virginia; single; owned home ($5400 value); no radio in home; occupation: teacher, public school.
Gardiner, Mable H., sister, age "50+", born in West Virginia; parents born in West Virginia; married; occupation: teacher, Normal school.
Gardiner, Anna H., niece, age "30+", born in West Virginia; father born in Maryland; mother born in West Virginia; single; occupation: teaching nurse, hospital; World War I veteran.
The following article was published in the "The Charleston Daily Mail" (Charleston, West Virginia) on Wednesday evening, April 30, 1930:23
560 STUDENTS ARE
ON GRADUATE LIST
College of Arts and Sciences
Has Largest Group
MORGANTOWN, April 30 (AP) -- Five hundred and sixty students will receive degrees at the sixty-third annual commencement at West Virginia university which will be held Monday, June 2 in the mammoth field house on the campus. This is an increase of 84 over last year and sets a record for the number of students to be graduated at one time from the university.
Master of Arts
[...] Mabel Henshaw Gardiner, Clarksburg; [...]
In 1926 Mabel wrote the book "Chronicles of Old Berkeley", "a narrative history of a Virginia County from its beginnings to 1926" (1938, The Seeman Press, Durham, N.C.).24,25
Isaac died Dec 11 1936, buried Loundon Park Cemetery, 3801 Frederick Avenue, Baltimore, Maryland.14
Isaac's obituary was published as follows:14
GARDINER -- Suddenly, on December 11, 1936, DR. ISAAC H. Funeral from Stiffler's Funeral Home, 125 East North Avenue on Tuesday at 2 P. M. Interment in Loudon Park Cemetery.
Mary Bell Henshaw died Oct 29 1952.9
Photo: Mary B. Henshaw birth record Berkeley County, West Virginia
- Contribution from Brant Henshaw.
- Mary B. Henshaw birth record; West Virginia Division of Culture and History:
- "The West Virginia Historical Magazine Quarterly", Vol. 4, No. 2, April 1904.
The West Virginia Historical and Antiquarian Society, Charleston, W.VA.
Article "The Henshaw Family" by Valley Virginia Henshaw.
Contributed by David H. Henshaw ().
- Contribution from Bill Henshaw citing:
1870 census, Berkeley County, West Virginia.
- Wardell, Patrick G.: "Virginia & West Virginians 1607-1870", Volume 3;
Heritage Books, Inc.; Bowie, Maryland; 1992
- 1900 census, 5th Ward, Fairmont, Marion County, West Virginia; roll T623-1764, ED 53, page 10B, line #66, dwelling #195, family #204.
- 1910 census, 3rd Ward, Martinsburg, Berkeley County, West Virginia; roll T624-1676, ED 21, page 53B, line #96, dwelling #70, family #72.
- "History of Henshaws in Scotland, in England and in America to the Present
Time", Edith Henshaw Kuntz, 1956;
contributed by Don Henshaw.
- Henshaw history and genealogy manuscript, original by Holmes Hart Henshaw, 1930;
updated in 1995 by Donald Craig Henshaw and others.
- 1870 census, 1st Ward, Baltimore, Maryland; roll M593-571, page 43, line #38, dwelling #520, family #648.
- 1880 census, Baltimore, Baltimore County, Maryland; roll T9-499, ED 73, page 536A, line #34, dwelling #207, family #207.
- 1900 census, 20th Ward, Baltimore, Maryland; roll T623-617, ED 256, page 9A, line #19, dwelling #143, family #170.
- 1910 census, 10th Ward, Baltimore, Maryland; roll T624-556, ED 141, page 13A, line #48.
- Contribution from Marvin H. Anderson ().
- Contribution from Marvin H. Anderson () citing:
family bible of Marvin Wesley Anderson & Julia Mary Gardiner.
- 1900 census, Hedgesville, Berkeley County, West Virginia; roll T623-1755, ED 13, page 13A, line #6, dwelling #241, family #245.
- World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918; http://www.ancestry.com.
- 1920 census, Fairfield District, Northumberland County, Virginia; roll T625-1903, ED 128, page 14A, line #18, dwelling #273, family #278.
- 1930 census, Boyce, Clark County, Virginia; roll T626-2439, ED 5, page 2A, line #20, dwelling #28, family #28.
- "Bluefield Daily Telegraph", Jun 21 1904; http://www.ancestry.com.
- 1930 census, Martinsburg, Berkeley County, West Virginia; roll T626-2526, ED 14, page 4B, line #72, dwelling #80, family #106.
- 1930 census, Martinsburg, Berkeley County, West Virginia; roll T626-2526, ED 14, page 11B, line #98, dwelling #232, family #256.
- "The Charleston Daily Mail", Apr 30 1930; http://www.ancestry.com.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Sat Oct 22 14:15:46 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2017, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]