1. William Henshall m Margerie Gyll
2.. Thomas Henshall (?-c1631) m - Kendrick
3... John Henshall (1611-c1687) m Elizabeth -
4.... William Hinshaw (?-1699) m Elizabeth -
5..... John Hinshaw (c1660->1768) m Elizabeth Belshaw
6...... Jesse Hinshaw (1720-1797) m Abigail Marshall (1724-1806)
7....... John Hinshaw (1747-1800) m Ruth (Pike) Weisner (1744-1795)
8........ Jesse Hinshaw (1780-1853) m Milli Primm (1803-?)
9......... John Milton Hinshaw (1836-1863)
+Rachel A. Gaskill (c1839-1860)
10.......... Elizabeth J. Hinshaw (1858-?) 1
10.......... George Wallace Hinshaw (1860-1918) 2
John Milton Hinshaw [ID 00365]
||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view: |
Born 9-13-1836, Marlborough MM, North Carolina.1,3,4,5
At Bloomfield MM on 8-8-1849, John Milton and his parents were granted certificates to Sugar River MM.5
At Sugar River MM on 4-27-1850, John Milton and his parents were received on certificates from Bloomfield MM.5
At Sugar River MM on 9-10-1853, John M. was disowned for using profane language.5
He married Rachel A. Gaskill, Aug 10 1856, Montgomery County, Indiana.1,6 Rachel, daughter of Mahlon + Amelia Gaskill, was born about 1839, Ohio.1,7
John and family were shown in the 1860 census (Jun 22 1860), Franklin Township, Montgomery County, Indiana:1
John M. Hinshaw, age 24, born in North Carolina; laborer; $150 personal property.
Rachiel A. Hinshaw, age 21, born in Ohio.
Living next door in 1860 was the family of Rachel's parents, Malen & Amelia Gaskill,8
Malen Gaskill, age 52, born in New Jersey.
Amelia Gaskill, age 51, born in Ohio.
Nelson Gaskill, age 24, born in Ohio.
Mary F. Gaskill, age 17, born in Indiana.
Camelia Gaskill, age 12, born in Indiana.
Rachel died Jul - 18609,10 [Jul - 186311]; age 24y 19d9,10. Rachel is buried with her parents.12 Note that Rachel died in July 1860, the same month son George was born. It's reasonable to assume that she probably died from complications of childbirth.
On Aug 9 1862 John M. Henshaw enlisted as a Private in Company B, 72nd Indiana Infantry13,14 (Company I).15,16,17 Noted for Distinguished Service.13 His regiment was organized at Lafayette, Indiana and was mustered-in Aug 16 1862. It left the state the next day and proceeded to Lebanon Kentucky, where it remained until Bragg's invasion, when it moved with Buell's army. It moved into Tennessee in November and arrived at Murfreesboro on Jan 8 1863, where it was mounted and served as mounted infantry in the campaign against Tullahoma and Chattanooga.13
John Milton Hinshaw died May 22 1863, near Murfreesboro, Rutherford County, Tennessee; buried Site M-5251, Stones River National Battlefield, 3501 Old Nashville Hwy, Murfreesboro, Rutherford County, Tennessee.13,15,16,17,18,19
John died while on active duty, due to "chronic diarrhea" (probably dysentery).15
After John & Rachel died, their children were taken-in by Rachel's parents. On Oct 31 1863 Mahlon Gaskill was named guardian of George W. Hinshaw and Lizzie J. Hinshaw, minor heirs of John Hinshaw.20 Rachel's father, Mahlon Gaskill, received pension funds as guardian of her children.12
John & Rachel's children were shown in the 1870 census (Jul 13 1870) living in the household of Rachel's parents in Franklin Township, Montgomery County, Indiana:2
Gaskill, Mahlen, age 62, born in New Jersey; farmer; $1000 real estate; $300 personal property.
Gaskill, Amelia, age 62, born in Ohio; keeping house; cannot write.
Byass, Camelia, age 31, born in Indiana; house keeper.
Byass, George, age 22, born in Indiana; U.S. Soldier.
Byass, Ada, age 2, born in Indiana.
Photo: John Milton Hinshaw & Rachel A. Gaskill marriage license Montgomery County, Indiana [PDF]
Photo: John Milton Hinshaw gravestone Stones River National Battlefield
- 1860 census, Darlington P.O., Franklin Township, Montgomery County, Indiana; roll M653-283, page 126, line #33, dwelling #331, family #314.
- 1870 census, Darlington P.O., Franklin Township, Montgomery County, Indiana; roll M593-345, page 134, line #15, dwelling #142, family #143.
- "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy",
by William Wade Hinshaw, in many well-stocked libraries.
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Indiana.
- "Abstracts of the Records of the Society of Friends in Indiana", Part 5,
subtitled "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Volume VII",
(a compendium of many of the records left by William Wade Hinshaw on
his death), edited by Willard Heiss; GS929.3 H47 in a local library.
- Crawfordsville District Public Library (Crawfordsville, Indiana);
Marriages Database: http://history.cdpl.lib.in.us/marriage.html.
- 1850 census, Franklin Township, Montgomery County, Indiana; roll M432-161, page 479, line #6, dwelling #84, family #85.
- 1860 census, Darlington P.O., Franklin Township, Montgomery County, Indiana; roll M653-283, page 126, line #36, dwelling #332, family #315.
- Posting Jan 14 2012 by Jeff Scism (), citing:
Allen County (Indiana) obituary notices; "Hoosier Genealogist", Vol. 35, No. 2.: p. 69.
- Montgomery County, Indiana burials; Crawfordsville District Public Library:
- Contribution from Linda Kuntz ().
- American Civil War Soldiers; http://www.ancestry.com.
- U.S., Civil War Soldier Records and Profiles, 1861-1865; http://www.ancestry.com.
- U.S., Registers of Deaths of Volunteers, 1861-1865; http://www.ancestry.com.
- U.S. Veterans Gravesites, ca.1775-2006; http://www.ancestry.com.
- U.S. National Cemetery Interment Control Forms, 1928-1962; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Company B, 72nd Indiana Infantry; Montgomery County, Indiana USGenWeb:
- Montgomery County, Indiana Civil War Casualties; USGenWeb Archives:
- Montgomery County, Indiana Guardian Dockets; Crawfordsville District Public Library:
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Thu Oct 20 12:33:26 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2017, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]