1. Nicholas Hancher (1705-1777) m Rebecca Smith (c1707-?)
2.. William Henshaw (1736-1799) m Agnes Ann Anderson (c1745-<1806)
3... Levi Henshaw (1769-1843) m Ann McConnell (1778-1839)
4.... Washington Henshaw (1808-<1874)
+Mary E. Delgarn
+Susan Kuykendall (c1820-?)
5..... Massey Anne Henshaw (1842-?) 1,2,3,4
5..... Sarah Jane Henshaw (c1843-?) 1,2,3,4
5..... Susan Cynthia Henshaw (1848-1876) 1,2,3,4
5..... Mary D. Henshaw (c1852-?) 4,5
5..... Levi Henshaw (c1855-?) 4,5
5..... Mattie Virginia Henshaw (1858-1908) 4,6,7,8
Washington Henshaw [ID 03716]
||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view: |
Washington Henshaw6,9,10,11 [Washington Hanshaw12].
Born Apr 27 1808, Virginia.4,9,10,11,13 Washington and brother James were twins.9,10
On Aug 5 1834, "Washington Henshaw of La Grange County, Indiana" purchased 63.62 acres of land in Noble County, Indiana.14 Brother James also later purchased land in Noble County in 1836.
On Mar 15 1837, "Washington Henshaw of Noble County, Indiana" purchased an additional 69.2 acres in Noble County.14
He married Mary E. Delgarn9,10 [Mary E. Dalgern11, Mary E. Dalgren15], Apr 12 18389,10.
Washington, along with brothers James, Charles and William, then settled in Clay County, Missouri16 [sic - Clark County, Missouri].
On Apr 1 1839, "Washington Henshaw of Clark County, Missouri" purchased two tracts of land in Clark County, Missouri totaling 79.8575 acres.14 On Jan 1 1850 Washington purchased an additional 40 acres of land in Clark County, Missouri.14
He then married Susan Kuykendall9,10,11,17 [Susan Kuykendalle6], Oct 26 18419,10,11,17, Hampshire County, Virginia9,10,11,17. Susan was born about 1820, Virginia.1,2,4
Washington and twin brother James crossed the plains to California in 1850 (brother Charles had preceeded them), settling in Butte County.9,10,16
Washington and family were shown in the 1850 census (Oct 14 1850), Clark County, Missouri:1
Washington Henshaw, age 42, born in Virginia; farmer; $5000 real estate.
Susan Henshaw, age 30, born in Virginia.
Washington and family were also shown in the 1850 census (enumeration date not recorded) in Butte County, California:2
W. Henshaw, age 43, born in Virginia; farmer.
Susan Henshaw, age 30, born in Virginia; house keeper.
Matildy, age 14, born in Virginia; black.
Living in the very next household was brother James L. Henshaw.18
Curiously, in the same 1850 census there was the almost identical Henshaw family shown in Nevada City, Yuba County, California (Nov 17 1850):3
W. Henshaw, age 45, born in Virginia; miner.
Susan Henshaw, age 25, born in Virginia.
Mathilda, age 14, born in Virginia; black.
It is unclear why this family would have been enumerated three times in 1850 in two states and three different counties, but it does seem that these were indeed the same family in all enumerations (Yuba county, CA does border Butte county).
Washington was again shown in the 1860 census (Jun 23 1860), Chico, Butte County, California.4
Washington Henshaw, age 52, born in Virginia; farmer; $10,000 real estate; $4,000 personal property.
Susan Henshaw, age 39, born in Virginia.
Matilda, black, age 22, born in Virginia; servant.
J.R. Brown, age 25, born in Iowa; laborer.
Jas. M. York, age 28, born in Ireland; laborer.
Jas. Gibbs, age 23, born in Michigan; laborer.
S.E. Granger, age 27, born in England; laborer.
Washington and family were again shown in the 1870 census, Butte County, California:5
Henshaw, Wash., age 62, born in Virginia; farmer; $19,000 real estate; $6,000 personal property.
Henshaw, Susan, age 41, born in Virginia; keeps house.
Bemis, Andrew, age 35, farmer; $10000 personal property.
Stutman, Giles, age 40, farmer; $3500 real estate; $1000 personal property.
(it is unclear why Andrew Bemis and Giles Stutman were living in Washington's household).
Washington Henshaw died before Jun 1 1874, Butte County, California.16,19
Federal land grant records show four grants in Butte County, California on Jun 1 1874 to Jonas M. Hoyl and the Heirs of Washington Henshaw.19 Again on Dec 30 1878 another Butte County grant is made to James T. Stephens and the Heirs of Washington Henshaw.19
- 1850 census, Clark County, Missouri; roll M432_396, page 294A, line #28, dwelling #734, family #762.
- 1850 census, Butte County, California; roll 33, page 39A, line #3, dwelling #2, family #2.
- 1850 census, Nevada City, Yuba County, California; roll 36, page 315B, line #34, dwelling #1068, family #1068.
- 1860 census, Chico P.O., Chico Township, Butte County, California; roll M653-56, page 544, line #32, dwelling #34, family #32.
- 1870 census, Chico Township, Butte County, California; roll M593-70, page 40, line #20, dwelling #658, family #549.
- Lineage Books of the Charter Members of the National Society of the
Daughters of the American Revolution (www.ancestry.com).
- Lineage Books of the Charter Members of the National Society of the
Daughters of the American Revolution.
- 1870 census, Butte County, California.
- "The West Virginia Historical Magazine Quarterly", Vol. 4, No. 2, April 1904.
The West Virginia Historical and Antiquarian Society, Charleston, W.VA.
Article "The Henshaw Family" by Valley Virginia Henshaw.
Contributed by David H. Henshaw ().
- "History of Henshaws in Scotland, in England and in America to the Present
Time", Edith Henshaw Kuntz, 1956;
contributed by Don Henshaw.
- Henshaw history and genealogy manuscript, original by Holmes Hart Henshaw, 1930;
updated in 1995 by Donald Craig Henshaw and others.
- Hampshire Co Va Marriages 1816-1866, Mineral VA; USGenWeb Archives.
- 1850 California census index, Butte County.
- U.S. Bureau of Land Management - http://www.glorecords.blm.gov.
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
International Genealogical Index (IGI) - West Virginia.
- "Henshaw Family Chronicles", a family history and collection of memorabilia
by Caroline May Henshaw, 1995.
Contributed by Kristen R. Wagner-Henshaw ().
- Hampshire Co Va Marriages 1816-1866, Mineral VA; USGenWeb Archives
- 1850 census, Butte County, California; roll 33, page 39, dwelling #3.
- California Federal Land Grants, USGenWeb Archives: http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/ca/ca-land.htm.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2017, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]