1. Nicholas Hancher (1705-1777) m Rebecca Smith (c1707-?)
2.. William Henshaw (1736-1799) m Agnes Ann Anderson (c1745-<1806)
3... Levi Henshaw (1769-1843) m Ann McConnell (1778-1839)
4.... Charles Henshaw (1813-1892)
+Ann Beall (1822-1851)
5..... Fidelia V. Henshaw (1841-1917) 1,2,3
5..... Park Henshaw (c1845-1915) 1,4,5
+Susan Isabella Peake (1815-1878)
5..... Emma Belle Henshaw (1858-<1920) 1,6
Charles Henshaw [ID 03719]
||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view: |
Born Dec 18 1813.2,7,8,9,10
Charles, along with brothers James, Washington and William, settled in Clay County, Missouri.5,7,9
Charles Henshaw was shown in the 1840 census, living alone in Jackson Township, Clark County, Missouri:11
Chas Henshaw household:
1 male age 20-30 [Charles].
1 total person in household.
1 person engaged in commerce.
Also shown in the 1840 census living nearby were brothers James12 and William.13
He married Ann Beall7,14,15,16 [Valinda Ann Beall17, Verlinda Ann Beall2, Ann Bell14,16], Jul 21 18407,14,15,16, Clark County, Missouri7,14,15,16. Marriage witnessed by William Henshaw.16
Ann, daughter of Thomas Beall & Elizabeth Dunn15,17, was born 182215,17 [Nov 22 18182,3].
Note that Charles' brother James married Ann's sister Louisa Beall in 1839.7
In 1849 Charles crossed the plains to California. He was later joined by his brothers James and Washington.5
Ann died 1851.3
He then married Susan Isabella Peake8,10 [Susan Isabelle Henning18, Susan Henning7, Susan Hemming9], Dec 18 18568,10, Clark County, Missouri8,10. Susan, daughter of Henry Peake & Isabella Hening, was born Jan 9 1815, Frederick County, Virginia.10,19 Susan had been previously married on Sep 11 1837 to James Spencer Hening,10,19 by whom she had six children, including Ellen Elizabeth Hening who later married Charles' son Park Henshaw.19
Charles and family were shown in the 1860 census (Aug 9 1860), Vernon Township, Clark County, Missouri:1
Chas Henshaw, age 41, born in Virginia; occupation: "speculator"; $16,000 real estate; $15,000 personal property.
Susan I. Henshaw, age 43, born in New York; $4,000 real estate.
Ellen HenningCharles was also shown in the 1860 Slave Schedule holding the following slaves:20
, age 15, born in Missouri; attended school; $3,000 real estate; $3,500 personal property.
1 black female, age 30.
1 mullato male, age 14.
1 black male, age 5.
Charles and family were again shown in the 1870 census (Aug 25 1870), Alexandria Township, Clark County, Missouri:6
Henshaw, Charles, age 50, born in Kentucky; farm laborer.
Henshaw, Susan I., age 50, born in Virginia; keeps house.
Susan died Mar 13 1878, Alexandria, Clark County, Missouri; buried Wolf Cemetery, St. Francisville, Clark County, Missouri.10,19
Widower Charles and family were shown in the 1880 census (Jun 8 1880), Alexandria, Clark County, Missouri:21
Henshaw, Charles, age 80, born in Virginia; parents born in Virginia; farmer.
, daughter, age 22, born in Missouri; parents born in Virginia; single; keeping house.
, daughter, age 33, born in Missouri; father born in Virginia; [mother's birthplace unclear]; married; boarding.
Charles Henshaw died Sep 30 1892, Missouri; buried Wolf Cemetery, St. Francisville, Clark County, Missouri.5,8,19
- 1860 census, Alexandria, Vernon Township, Clark County, Missouri; pg 824, line #13, dwelling #111, family #111.
- RootsWeb WorldConnect data by Dennis Watkins ().
- RootsWeb WorldConnect data by Michele Cragg ().
- Henshaw history and genealogy manuscript, original by Holmes Hart Henshaw, 1930;
updated in 1995 by Donald Craig Henshaw and others.
- "Henshaw Family Chronicles", a family history and collection of memorabilia
by Caroline May Henshaw, 1995.
Contributed by Kristen R. Wagner-Henshaw ().
- 1870 census, Alexandria Township, Clark County, Missouri; pg 612, line #31, dwelling #80, family #90.
- "The West Virginia Historical Magazine Quarterly", Vol. 4, No. 2, April 1904.
The West Virginia Historical and Antiquarian Society, Charleston, W.VA.
Article "The Henshaw Family" by Valley Virginia Henshaw.
Contributed by David H. Henshaw ().
- GEDCOM archives at http://www.kindredkonnections.com.
- "History of Henshaws in Scotland, in England and in America to the Present
Time", Edith Henshaw Kuntz, 1956;
contributed by Don Henshaw.
- GEDCOM file F2819 at http://www.ancestry.com.
- 1840 census, Jackson Township, Clark County, Missouri; roll M704-221, page 341.
- 1840 census, Jackson Township, Clark County, Missouri; roll M704-221, page 340.
- 1840 census, Des Moines Township, Clark County, Missouri; roll M704-221, page 332.
- "Missouri Marriages to 1850" (www.ancestry.com).
- Beall, Fiedler M. M., "Colonial Families of the United States descended
from the Immigrants", Chas. H. Potter & Co., Inc. Washington D.C. 1929.
- Contribution from Frank Machala Hinshaw citing:
Clark County, Missouri: Marriage Book A (1837-1854).
- Contribution from Candee Hoff () citing: will of Thomas Beall.
- Contribution from JoAnne Peake Lotspeich ().
- Jim Boulden database: http://www.my-ged.com/boulden.
- 1860 Slave Schedule, Alexandria, Vernon Township, Clark County, Missouri; pg 175, line #32.
- 1880 census, Alexandria, Clark County, Missouri; roll T9-0681, ED 34, page 107C, line #22, dwelling #62, family #72.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Fri Oct 21 15:52:18 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2018, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]