1. Nicholas Hancher (1705-1777) m Rebecca Smith (c1707-?)
2.. William Henshaw (1736-1799) m Agnes Ann Anderson (c1745-<1806)
3... Washington Henshaw (1779-1853) m Charlotte Malick (1778-1822)
4.... Levi Henshaw (1814-1873)
+Nancy Jones (1823-1840)
5..... James Washington Henshaw (1840-1903) 1,2,3,4
+Margaret Kennedy (c1816-?)
5..... John W. Henshaw (1843-1864) 1,2,4
5..... William M. Henshaw (1845-1917) 1,2,3,4
Levi Henshaw [ID 04192]
||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view: |
Levi Henshaw1,5,6,7,8,9 [Levi Hanshaw10].
Born Apr 14 1814, Greene County, Tennessee.1,2,3,6
He married Nancy Jones, Jul 11 1839, Greene County, Tennessee.5,6,7,8,9 Nancy was born Aug 7 1823.11,12
Nancy died Jun 8 1840, buried Hermon United Methodist Church Cemetery, on State Highway 170, four miles southeast of Tusculum, Greene County, Tennessee.11,12
He then married Margaret Kennedy, Nov 26 1840, Greene County, Tennessee.5,6,7,8,9 Margaret was born about 1816, Tennessee.1,2,3
Levi and family were shown in the 1850 census, Greene County, Tennessee:1
Levi Henshaw, age 36, born in Tennessee; "millar".
Margaret Henshaw, age 34, born in Tennessee.
Jacob W. Harrison, age 25, born in Tennessee; "millar".
Jacob W. Harrison above might have been a neighbor (hired hand) - note that a Harrison family lived in Greene County as Levi's sister Elizabeth married Caleb Harrison. Living next door in 1850 were Levi's parents.13
When his father died in 1853, Levi was an executor of his estate. Levi inherited his father's young slave, Tom, with instructions to set him free when he reached the age of 25.14
Levi was shown in an 1854 business directory of Greene County, Tennessee:15
Levi Henshaw, Merchant Mill. Henderson Mills P.O.
Levi and family were shown in the 1860 census (Jun 9 1860), Greene County, Tennessee:2
Levi Hanshaw, age 46, born in Tennessee; miller; $8000 real estate; $1600 personal property.
Margaret Hanshaw, age 43, born in Tennessee.
Jane HanshawLiving next door in 1860 was the family of brother Philip.16
, age 74, born in Tennessee; $2000 real estate; $1000 personal property.
The 1860 Slave Schedule (Jun 1 1860) showed the following for Levi Hanshaw:17
Levi Hanshaw household:
1 black male, age 16.
Levi and family were shown in the 1870 census (Sep 12 1870), Lamar County, Texas:3
Henshaw, Jas W.
, age 30, born in Tennessee; farmer; $1000 real estate; $150 personal property.
Henshaw, Levi, age 56, born in Tennessee.
Henshaw, Margaret, age 53, born in Tennessee.
Levi Henshaw died Jul 14 1873, Lamar County, Texas; buried Providence Church Cemetery, near Paris, Texas.6
- 1850 census, Greene County, Tennessee; roll 880, page 218, dwelling #988.
- 1860 census, Horse Creek P.O., Greene County, Tennessee; roll M653-1252, page 206, line #32, dwelling #138, family #133; USGenWeb Archives:
- 1870 census, Paris P.O., Beat 1, Lamar County, Texas; roll M593-1594, page 213, line #12, dwelling #411, family #468.
- Posting Dec 23 2004 by Tom Newman () to HINSHAW-L, citing: Levi Henshaw family bible.
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Tennessee.
- Family group sheets created by Frances G. Brumley, citing Henshaw family
bible records, Greene County, TN court & cemetery records, and several
secondary sources. Contributed by Ruth Jenkins ().
- "Green Co. Tennessee, Marriages, 1783-1868", Burgner.
- "Early East Tennessee Marriages", Sistler, 1987.
- Halbert's "The New World Book of Henshaws" (for what it's worth).
- 1860 census, Horse Creek, Greene County, Tennessee; roll M653-1252, page 18, dwelling #138; USGenWeb Archives:
- "Green Co. Tennessee, Cemeteries, Earliest to 1970-71", Reynolds.
- "Greene County, Tennessee Cemetery Records"; http://www.ancestry.com.
- 1850 census, Greene County, Tennessee; roll 880, page 218, dwelling #989.
- "Green Co. Tennessee, Wills".
- "Southern Business Directory and General Commercial Advertiser", Volume I (1854, Charleston, SC: Steam Power Press of Walker & James);
posted Jan 25 2008 by () to the Hawkins County, Tennessee message board:
- 1860 census, Horse Creek, Greene County, Tennessee; roll M653-1252, page 206, line #25, dwelling #137, family #132; USGenWeb Archives:
- 1860 Slave Schedule, District 1, Greene County, Tennessee.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2018, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]