1. William Henshall m Margerie Gyll
2.. Thomas Henshall (?-c1631) m - Kendrick
3... John Henshall (1611-c1687) m Elizabeth -
4.... William Hinshaw (?-1699) m Elizabeth -
5..... Thomas Hinshaw (c1680-?) m Mary Marshall (c1685-?)
6...... Absolom Hinshaw (1728-?) m Rebecca Haddock
7....... Absolom Hinshaw (1752-1830) m Elizabeth Hinshaw (c1753-1833)
8........ Jacob Hinshaw (1787-1832) m Mary Davis (1796-1874)
9......... Elias Hinshaw (1827-1893) m Martitia Macon (1830-1877)
10.......... Levi Clarkson Hinshaw (1867-1944)
+Emma C. Stanley (1868-1938)
11........... Orval L. Hinshaw (1889-1970) 1,2,3,4
11........... Audrey Hinshaw (1893-1918) 2,3,4
11........... Cecil Rhodes Hinshaw (1901-1998) 3,4
Levi Clarkson Hinshaw [ID 04418]
||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view: |
Levi Clarkson Hinshaw1,2,3,4,5,6,7 [Clarkie Hinshaw8].
Born Dec 17 1867, Indiana.2,4,5,6,7,9,10,11
He married Emma C. Stanley, Oct 31 1888.1 Emma, daughter of Moses Stanley & Cynthia Beals2,3,4, was born Jun 6 18682,3,4 [Jun 7 18689,10], Iowa2,3,4.
Levi and family were shown in the 1900 census (Jun 14 1900), Emporia, Lyon County, Kansas:2
Hinshaw, Levi C., father, age 32, born Dec 1867 in Indiana; parents born in North Carolina; married 11 years; occupation: minister [unclear]; owned home (mortgaged).
Hinshaw, Emma, mother, age 31, born June 1868 in Iowa; father born in Ohio; mother born in Tennessee; married 11 years; 2 children, 2 living.
[unclear], son, age 10, born Nov 1889 in Kansas; father born in Indiana; mother born in Iowa; attended school 9 months.
, daughter, age 7, born July 1892 in Kansas; father born in Indiana; mother born in Iowa.
In 1905 Levi was living in Wichita, Kansas.12
At Cherokee MM, Alfalfa County, Oklahoma, on 11-15-1905, L. Clarkson Hinshaw (minister), wife Emma C. and children Orva L., Audrey & Cecil R. were all received on a certificate from Wichita MM, Kansas.13
Levi and family were shown in the 1910 census (Apr 15-16 1910), 1820 University Avenue, Wichita, Sedgwick County, Kansas:4
Hinshaw, L. Clarkson, head-of-household, age 42, born in Indiana; parents born in North Carolina; first marriage, married 22 years; occupation: minister, church; owned home (mortgaged).
Hinshaw, Emma C., wife, age 41, born in Iowa; father born in Ohio; mother born in Tennessee; first marriage, married 22 years; 8 children, 3 living.
Hinshaw, Orval L.
, son, age 20, born in Kansas; father born in Indiana; mother born in Iowa; attended school.
, daughter, age 16, born in Kansas; father born in Indiana; mother born in Iowa; attended school.
Hinshaw, Cecil R.
, son, age 8, born in Kansas; father born in Indiana; mother born in Iowa.
At Cherokee MM on 3-20-1917, L. Clarkson and family were granted a certificate to University MM, Wichita, Kansas.13
Levi and family were shown in the 1920 census (Jan 8 1920), Newberg, Yamhill County, Oregon:10
Hinshaw, Levi C., head-of-household, age 52, born in Indiana; parents born in North Carolina; rented home; occupation: Minister, Friends.
Hinshaw, Emma C., wife, age 51, born in Iowa; father born in Ohio; mother born in Tennessee.
Hinshaw, Cecil R.
, son, age 18, born in Kansas; father born in Indiana; mother born in Iowa; single; attended school.
From Jul 1 1926 to Mar 13 1935 Levi was Pastor at the Berkeley (California) Friends Church.14
Levi and Emma were shown in the 1930 census (Apr 14 1930), 2130 Channing Way, Berkeley, Alameda County, California:11
Hinshaw, L. Clarkson, head-of-household, age 62, born in Indiana; parents born in North Carolina; first married at age 20; rented home ("parsonage"); radio in home; occupation: minister, Friend's Church.
Hinshaw, Emma C., wife, age 61, born in Iowa; father born in Ohio; mother born in Tennessee; first married at age 20.
Emma died Jun 30 1938, Haviland, Kiowa County, Kansas; buried Section G, lot 20, grave 4, Maple Grove Cemetery, 1000 N. Hillside, Wichita, Sedgwick County, Kansas.9,15
Emmma's obituary was published in "The American Friend" on August 4, 1938 (page 343).15
Levi Clarkson Hinshaw died May 22 1944, Haviland, Kiowa County, Kansas; buried Section G, lot 20, grave 5, Maple Grove Cemetery, 1000 N. Hillside, Wichita, Sedgwick County, Kansas.1,5,9
Levi was a noted Quaker preacher in Kansas.5 He also had a church in Huntington Park, California.8
Photo: Levi Clarkson Hinshaw & Emma C. Stanley with young Neva Marie Hinshaw (granddaughter of brother Jacob Lindley Hinshaw)
Photo: Newspaper advertisement, First Friends, Levi Clarkson Hinshaw, pastor Oakland Tribune (Oakland, California), Saturday, Aug 29 1931
- "The Hinshaw Family", an extensive family history manuscript by Heather Hinshaw-Tomas
- 1900 census, Emporia, Lyon County, Kansas; roll T623-487, ED 72, page 16B, line #77, dwelling #340, family #348.
- Contribution from Galen Lee Hinshaw.
- 1910 census, Wichita, Sedgwick County, Kansas; ED 139, page 2A, line #18, dwelling #26, family #26; USGenWeb Archives:
- Contribution from Carol Lawrence Vidales.
- 1870 census, Eagletown P.O., Washington Township, Hamilton County, Indiana; roll M593-319, page 199, line #13, dwelling #331, family #326.
- 1880 census, Washington Township, Hamilton County, Indiana; roll T9-0281, ED 37, page 383A, line #16, dwelling #376, family #379.
- Contribution from Marilyn Withrow citing: Neva Marie Hinshaw.
- Burials in Maple Grove Cemetery, Wichita, Kansas; USGenWeb Archives:
- 1920 census, Newberg, Yamhill County, Oregon; roll T625-1506, ED 442, page 8B, line #51, dwelling #14, family #15.
- 1930 census, Berkeley, Alameda County, California; roll T626-111, ED 311, page 9A, line #4, family #187.
- "The Genealogical Journal", Randolph County [NC] Genealogical Society, Vol VI, Number 1, Winter 1982.
- "The William Wade Hinshaw Index to Quaker Meeting Records" (Swathmore
College Index Card Collection); Oklahoma; in the LDS FHL, film #0002198.
- Information provided by telephone from Tom King, California Friends historian.
- Earlham College Library; "American Friend Obituary Index":
- Photo courtesy of Marilyn Withrow.
- Oakland Tribune (Oakland, California), Saturday, Aug 29 1931; http://www.ancestry.com.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Fri Oct 21 15:52:19 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2018, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]