1. James Henshaw (<1770-?) m Sally Andrews (1777-1842)
2.. James Geary Henshaw (1815-1889) m Elizabeth Ann Kridler (1818-1902)
3... Eli John Simeon Henshaw (1842-1910)
+Rebecca Jane Daniels (1845-1933)
4.... Sarah Elizabeth Henshaw (1866-1946) 1,2,3
4.... James Elmer Henshaw (1867-1956) 1,2,3
4.... John Franklin Henshaw (1869-1956) 1,2,3
4.... Serena Catherine Henshaw (1872-1891) 1,2
4.... (infant son) Henshaw (1875-1875) 1
4.... Gusta Jane Henshaw (1884-1958) 1,4
Eli John Simeon Henshaw [ID 04881]
||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view: |
Born Jun 20 1842, Steuben County, New York.1,4,5
On Dec 31 1863 Eli purchased a diary on which the fly leaf was written:6
E. J. S. Henshaw Book, bought December 31, 1863, South Dansville, Steuben County, NY. Daily transcript of Eli John Simeon Henshaw dated Friday January 1, 1864.
Eli's diary contains an entry:6
On Monday, Feburary 29..... I went to work for Meely in the forenoon and went out to the old place and then went to Daniel Henshaw and then to Lit Gruber and stayed there all night.
In another entry in his diary Eli wrote:6
On Monday, January 18..... I took Lydia Swick to her school and then brought the team home and then went to Uncle Daniel Henshaw and stayed there all day and came home with Uncle John.
On May 2 1864, Eli J. Henshaw, age 18, enlisted as a private in Company F, 141st Ohio Infantry Regiment.7 On the same day, Eli's brothers Edward and James also joined the very same Company.7
He married Rebecca Jane Daniels, Mar 29 1865, Gallia County, Ohio.1,4,8,9 Rebecca, daughter of David Daniels & Sarah Gilmore, was born Sep 20 1845, Jackson County, Ohio.1,4,10,11
Rebecca also kept a diary, in which she made the following entries regarding cousin Harvey Hulbert, son of Eli's aunt Feronia Henshaw and two of Harvey's children:12
On April 13, 1869 Eli and Rebecca and family moved to Appanoose County, Iowa, and lived with Rebecca's uncle Joseph Daniels for two years.1,5
Eli and family were shown in the 1870 census (Aug 8 1870), Appanoose County, Iowa:3
Henshaw, Eli J, age 28, born in New York; farmer (renter); $300 personal property
Henshaw, Rebecca J, age 24, born in Ohio; keeps house.
Living next door was the family of Joseph Daniels, age 57, and his wife Armanda J. Daniels, age 4213 (Rebecca's uncle).1
Eli and family were shown in the 1880 census, Appanoose County, Iowa:2
Henshaw, Eli J., age 38, born in New York; father born in Maine; mother born in New York; farmer.
Henshaw, Rebecca J, wife, age 34, born in Ohio; father born in Pennsylvania; mother born in Ohio; keeping house.
Henshaw, Sarah E.
, daughter, age 14, born in Ohio; father born in New York; mother born in Ohio; attended school.
Henshaw, James E.
, son, age 12, born in Ohio; father born in New York; mother born in Ohio; attended school.
Henshaw, John F.
, son, age 10, born in Iowa; father born in New York; mother born in Iowa; attended school.
, daughter, age 7, born in Iowa; father born in New York; mother born in Ohio.
On Sep 11 1891 [date unclear], in Iowa, Eli J. Henshaw applied for a pension as an invalid, veteran of Company F, 141st Ohio Infantry.14
Eli and family were shown in the 1900 census (Jun 11 1900), Washington Township, Appanoose County, Iowa:4
Henshaw, Eli, head-of-household, age 57, born June 1842 in New York; parents born in New York; married 35 years; occupation: farmer; owned farm.
Henshaw, Rebecca, wife, age 54, born Sept 1845 in Ohio; parents born in Ohio; married 35 years; 6 children, 4 living.
Henshaw, Gusta J.Living next door in 1900 was son John with his new wife.15
, daughter, age 16, born Feb 1884 in Iowa; father born in New York; mother born in Ohio; attended school.
Eli John Simeon Henshaw died Feb 13 1910, Moulton, Appanoose County, Iowa; buried Oakland Cemetery, Moulton, Iowa.1,5
After Eli died, in Iowa [date unclear], Rebecca J. Henshaw applied for a pension as widow of veteran Eli J. Henshaw.14
Widow Rebecca was shown in the 1920 census (Jan 2 1920), living alone in Moulton, Appanoose County, Iowa:16
Henshaw, R.J., head-of-household, age 74, born in Ohio; parents born in Indiana; widow; owned home; occupation: none.
Widow Rebecca was shown in the 1930 census (Apr 2 1930), living alone at 209 West First Street, Moulton, Appanoose County, Iowa:17
Henshaw, Rebecca J., head-of-household, age 84, born in Ohio; father born in Pennsylvania; mother born in Ohio; widow; first married at age 19; owned home ($1500 value); no radio in home; occupation: none.
Rebecca died Aug 25 1933, Moulton, Appanoose County, Iowa; buried Oakland Cemetery, Moulton, Iowa.1,5
There are 18 pages of information on Eli and his descendents on the book "Daniels Family History" in the LDS FHL and also in the library in Moulton, Iowa.1
Photo: Eli John Simeon Henshaw & Rebecca Jane Daniels gravestone Oakland Cemetery
- Contribution from Alice Daniels ().
- 1880 LDS census index, Washington Township, Appanoose County, Iowa; roll T9-0326, page 621B.
- 1870 census, Wells Township, Appanoose County, Iowa; page 559B, line #5, dwelling #8, family #8.
- 1900 census, Washington Township, Appanoose County, Iowa; ED 25, page 198A, line #18, dwelling #304, family #313.
- Contribution from Alice Daniels () citing: diary of Eli John Simeon Henshaw.
- "The American Civil War Research Database", Ancestry, Inc.
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Ohio.
- "Ohio Marriages, 1803-1900", http://www.ancestry.com.
- 1850 census, Bloomfield Township, Jackson County, Ohio; roll M432-698, page 236, line #26, family #148.
- 1870 census, 4th Ward, Independence, Buchanan County, Iowa; page 465B, line #25, dwelling #73, family #80.
- Contribution from Alice Daniels () citing: diary of Rebecca (Daniels) Henshaw.
- 1870 census, Wells Township, Appanoose County, Iowa; page 559B, line #3, dwelling #7, family #7.
- National Archives and Records Administration. "General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934":
"Civil War Pension Index". [database] Provo, UT: Ancestry.com, 2000.
- 1900 census, Washington Township, Appanoose County, Iowa; ED 25, page 198A, line #21, dwelling #305, family #314.
- 1920 census, Moulton, Appanoose County, Iowa; roll T625-477, ED 34, page 1A, line #48, dwelling #14, family #14.
- 1930 census, Moulton, Washington Township, Appanoose County, Iowa; roll T626-641, ED 33, page 1A, line #9, dwelling #3, family #3.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2017, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]