1. William Henshaw (c1773-?) m Nancy Mitchell (c1778-?)
2.. William Henshaw, Jr. (c1809-<1855)
+Belinda House (1819->1900)
3... Albert L. Henshaw (1838-?) 1,2
3... James W. Henshaw (1840-?) 1,2
3... Robert Samuel Henshaw (1842-1921) 1,2
3... Francis Marion Henshaw (1847-1913) 1,2,3,4
3... Eugenia Ella Henshaw (1858-1924) 3,5,6
William Henshaw, Jr. [ID 09333]
||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view: |
Born about 1809, Virginia.1
He married Belinda House1,3 [Melinda House5,7], May 25 18371,3. Belinda, daughter of Aaron House & Phoebe Mitchell, was born May 13 1819, Virginia.1,3,5,6
William and family were shown in the 1850 census (Dec 7 1850), Madison County, Virginia:1
William Henshaw, Jr., age 41, born in Virginia; farmer; $750 real estate.
Belinda Henshaw, age 32, born in Virginia.
Living next door in 1850 were William's parents.8
William Henshaw, Jr. died before 1855.2,6
After William died, an Alfred Tanner was named guardian of William Henshaw's four children.2 Alfred Tanner gave an accounting on Dec 31 1855, and another again on Dec 31 1856.2 These accountings listed the children of William and Belinda Henshaw as:2 Each year as Alfred Tanner rented out slaves, whatever income was given to Belinda for clothes and tutoring of the four boys.2
Note that Eugenia was not mentioned in the guardianship accounts, and was born after William's death. Eugenia, although a Henshaw by name, was apparently not William's biological child (she was apparently Belinda's child after William died).
Belinda inherited 107 acres, Lot 2 adjoining House Hollow Farm, in Madison County, Virginia.4
Widow Belinda was shown in the 1860 census (Sep 14 1860), living alone with daughter Eugenia in Madison County, Virginia:5
Malinda Henshaw, age 41; farmer; $1070 real estate; $2275 personal property.
Eldest son Albert was shown in the 1860 census (Sep 13 1860) living alone nearby:9 The other three sons were shown living immediately next door to Albert, living with the family of Alfred & Octavia Tanner:10
Alfred T. Tanner, age 47; farmer; $3000 real estate; $9647 personal property.
Octavia L. Tanner, age 17.
Delaware M. Tanner, age 1.
, age 20; occupation: A.T. Tanner [..unclear..]; $2225 personal property.
Robert HenshawAlso living nearby in 1860 was an unidentified Mary B. Henshaw, age 70,11 as well as the family of Lafayette Henshaw,12 and also the family of James Owen Henshaw.13
, age 17; occupation: "; $625 real estate; $1600 personal property.
Widow Belinda was shown in the 1880 census (Jun 2-3 1880), living in the household of daughter Eugenia in Madison County, Virginia:6
Mitchell, W. J.
, age 32, born in Virginia; parents born in Virginia; laborer.
, wife, age 22, born in Virginia; parents born in Virginia; keeps house.
, daughter, age 3, born in Virginia; parents born in Virginia; keeps house.
Mitchell, Annie W.
, daughter, age 1, born in Virginia; parents born in Virginia; keeps house.
Henshaw, Belinda, mother-in-law, age 61, born in Virginia; parents born in Virginia; widow; boarder.
Belinda died after 1900.3
- 1850 census, Madison County, Virginia; roll M432-958, page 97, line #27, dwelling #621, family #621.
- Contribution from Joan Tanner () citing: guardianship documents.
- Contribution from Joan Tanner ().
- 1860 census, Madison County, Virginia; page 87, line #16, dwelling #732, family #732.
- 1880 census, Robertson District, Madison County, Virginia; roll T9-1377, ED 108, page 371B, line #7, dwelling #40, family #47.
- 1920 census, Collins Township, Jackson County, Alabama; roll T625-19, ED 39, page 7A, line #27, dwelling #129, family #129.
- 1850 census, Madison County, Virginia; roll M432-958, page 97, line #33, dwelling #622, family #622.
- 1860 census, Madison County, Virginia; page 85, line #20, dwelling #714, family #714.
- 1860 census, Madison County, Virginia; page 85, line #14, dwelling #713, family #713.
- 1860 census, Madison County, Virginia; page 88B, line #35, dwelling #745, family #745.
- 1860 census, Madison County, Virginia; page 89, line #4, dwelling #749, family #749.
- 1860 census, Madison County, Virginia; page 91, line #5, dwelling #765, family #765.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2017, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]