This website will shut down in Mar. 2013.
Keighley Area Memorial Inscriptions
In 2001, Derek Wrathall sent two Memorial Inscriptions (MIs) from the cemetery at Utley, which is a village just to the northwest of Keighley. These are as follows:
In Feb. 2004, Derek mentioned that the Keighley & District Family History Society had published more of the MIs for Utley Cemetery. In their booklet "Section M" is the following:
- L 5
In Loving Memory of WILLIAM ......UST WRATHALL...........Also of my dear husband JOHN
WRATHALL born May 26th 1863 died October 22nd 1927. ............. Also of MARY wife of the
above born August 9th 1866 died November 7th 1930. "At Rest".
- O 114
In Loving Remembrance of ELLEN wife of STEPHEN WRATHALL of Braithwaite who died
August 31st 1882 in the 54th year of her age. Also of the above STEPHEN WRATHALL
who died June 18th 1896 in his 71st year. Also of EDWARD son of the above who died
July 24th 1900 in his 32nd year. Buried at Bowdon Church. In Loving Memory of
JAMES Son in Law of the above and husband of M. A. NICHOLSON of Far Laithe,
Braithwaite who died August 9th 1928 in his 69th year and MARTHA ANN NICHOLSON
wife of the above who died September 22nd 1938 in her 78th year.
In their booklet "Section N" is the following:
- In loving memory of HANNAH REBECCA WOOLLARD 1865 - 1913
- JOHN TOMPKINS her husband 1864 - 1952
- ARTHUR WRATHALL, grandson 1911 - 1929
- Also JOHN TOMPKINS WOOLLARD who died April 9th 1952 aged 88 years
and his beloved wife SARAH ANN who died Jan 17th 1962 aged 90 years
Derek copied the above as they appear in the booklets - except that the text was centred.
- In loving memory of JAMES WRATHALL of Rose Cottage, Utley
who died July 24th 1920 aged 66 years
- Also MARGARET his beloved wife who died Feb 5th 1937 aged 81 yrs
- Also MARGARET VICTORIA WRATHALL
who died Nov 14th 1974 aged 87 yrs
- Also a beloved wife & mother IDA ELIZABETH WRATHALL
died Nov 2nd 1986 aged 81 yrs
- Also JOHN HENRY beloved husband of Ida Elizabeth WRATHALL
and son of the aforenamed who died Nov 29th 1969 aged 92 yrs
In 2001, Derek sent some monumental inscriptions taken from a booklet issued by the Keighley & District Family History Society. They are from "Steeton Cemetery & Steeton Parish Church & Steeton with Eastburn War Memorial", and are as follows:
Derek mentioned that the reference number/letter is that used by the survey team and relates to a plan in the booklet. In 57B, "Fred W. ... died ... in his 20th year" is as written in the booklet, but it would be more logical if it read "30th year".
In loving memory of Thomas WRATHALL who died May 8th 1948 aged 75 years. Also Hettie Wilkinson loving niece of the above who died December 25th 1968 aged 77 years.
In loving memory of Charles Coulton WRATHALL 1864-1938. Also Sarah his wife 1859-1935. Also Leonard Langdale their son 1892-1928 died in Timor. "Resting"
In memory of John Benson WRATHALL died February 1952. Also Mary Jane his wife died January 1940.
Fred WRATHALL of Steeton who died January 23rd 1899 in his 20th year. "He watched and waited patiently and fell asleep in Jesus." Also Minnie his wife died December 7th 1957 aged 85. "At rest"
In loving memory of Joseph WRATHALL of Steeton died January 27th 1922. Also Sarah WRATHALL wife of the above died February 23rd 1927. Also Hume their son who entered the higher life April 7th 1951. Also Annie his wife died January 8th 1963 aged 84.
Leonard WRATHALL (From the War Memorial from the list of "Those Who Also Served")
In Sep. 2007, John Smith [john(dot)e(dot)smith77(at)btinternet(dot)com] mentioned the following about Alice Wrathall:
.... My wife's name is Eileen (née) Conway.
Her mother's name was Mary Lomas, [and] her father was married to Fanny Watson, who [was] the daughter of Wallace and Alice (née Wrathall) Watson. Wallace, Alice, Fanny & a baby are buried in Steeton cemetery.
Wallace and Alice's marriage is listed in
Parish Registers - Kildwick ( St. Andrews) and Silsden
Notices of Marriages and Deaths from The Keighley News, 1862-1901
In April 2002, Derek sent transcriptions of two Cowling memorials from a publication "Compiled by Keighley Family History Publishing":
Holy Trinity Church, Cowling, Near Keighley
In December 2005, Derek mentioned the following about the Rowe/Wrathall and Ellerd-Styles families:
- (Very large flat stone on ground). In Loving Memory of MARY WRATHALL 1846 - 1917 and of her husband, daughters, son, son in law and grandchild. EUNICE MARY WRATHALL 1868 - 1942. AMY ANN WRATHALL 1869 - 1955. ANGUS WILLIAM WRATHALL 1876 - 1955 who rests nearby. JOHN WRATHALL 1842 - 1912 who died in Norway. JOSEPH HAMBLEY ROWE, M.A., M.B., C.M., F.S.A., F.S.G., F.G.S. 1870 - 1937. SARAH HELEN ROWE 1872 - 1937. JOHN ANGUS THEODORE ROWE 1906 - 1911.
- (Stone laid flat on ground). ANGUS WILLIAM WRATHALL 1876 - 1955. Also here are the ashes of the issue of DR. & MRS. J. HAMBLEY ROWE as named below - JOSEPH BEVIL WRATHALL ROWE, M.B., C.H.B., (Aberdeen) Fellow B.M.A. 1904 - 1984, husband of AGNES ANN née BODDIE. HELEN EMILY MARY ELLERD-STYLES 1909 - 1986, wife of Group Captain LESLIE ELLERD-STYLES. R.A.F. AND Mother of WILLIAM and SARAH.
One new contact I have had recently ..... is Sarah Fitzgerald (née Ellerd-Styles), currently living in France ..... She contacted me after finding the obituary of Amy Wrathall..... Amy was her great aunt, hence the interest. Sarah is the daughter of Group Captain Leslie Ellerd-Styles and Helen Emily Mary Ellerd-Styles (née Rowe), and granddaughter of Joseph Hambley Rowe MA, CM, FSA, FSG (1870 - 1937), and Sarah Helen Rowe (née Wrathall) (1872 - 1937). The details are in the MIs for Cowling [see above] and I think we commented at the time on the qualifications of Dr. Rowe.
In April 2003, Derek sent transcriptions of two Kildwick memorials from the "Aire-Worth Ancestors publication Vol 2":
Sarah Helen's siblings were Eunice Mary, Amy Ann and Angus William, and her parents were John and Mary Wrathall. John appears in the 1851 census, aged 8, at Huddersfield and he died in Bergen, Norway, in 1912. His father was William Wrathall, a clog patten maker, born Malton according to the census, but I query this as I think this should read Marton. .....
On my notes I have that William was born in 1816 at West Marton Hall near Skipton, and his wife Sarah, in the census aged 39, born Carlton, I have as Sarah Duckworth of Lothersdale. Their other children in 1851 were Frederick aged 5 and Arthur aged 2 months. William's father I have as William Wrathall of Kettlewell, who married Mary Leyland, and his grandfather as Henry Wrathall born 1749 at Linton, who married Ann Constantine. I have also noted that Henry had a brother, Lupton, who is buried in the churchyard of St. Bartholomew the Great, Smithfield, London.
MIs - Parish Church of St. Andrew, Kildwick
- Stone fallen on its back and broken. In Memory of Alice, wife of Thomas WRATHALL of Lyon, Eastburn, died January 11th 1875 in her 72nd year. Also the aforesaid Thomas WRATHALL who died April 8th 1878 in his 76th year. Also of Mary, wife of ???????, who died January 5th 1899 in her 75th year. Also Elizabeth RILEY, who died February 15th 1902 aged 66 years. Also the above James WRATHALL who died February 12th 1905 aged 79 years.
- In Affectionate Remembrance of Horace, Beloved son of Joseph and Sarah WRATHALL of Steeton who died October 26th 1888 in his 6th year. Also an infant of theirs.