┌── Solomon Hinshaw
┌── Benjamin Franklin Hinshaw ──┤
│ 1844-1926 │
│ └── Rachel Hodgin
George William Hinshaw ───┤
B: 1873 │
D: 1972 │
└── Eliza Thomas
M: Lydia Gertrude Fellow
└── Geneva Hinshaw (c1907-) 1,2
George William Hinshaw [ID 04078]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Born Sep 9 1873, Rice County, Kansas.2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10
On Jul 23 1896 George and his brother registered to vote in San Bernardino County, California:11
Hinshaw, Harry Otas
, age 26, born in Indiana; 5'6" tall, light complexion, brown eyes, black hair; laborer; residence: Colton.
Hinshaw, George William, age 23, born in Kansas; 5'6" tall, dark complexion, gray eyes, black hair; laborer; residence: Colton.
He married Lydia Gertrude Fellow2,12 [Lydia Gertrude Feller13, Gertrude Lydia Fellow14, Gertrude Sprong3]. Lydia, daughter of William Harvey Fellow & Rachel Thomas, was born Sep - 1881, Indiana.1,2,9,14,15
Gertrude had been previously married1 to William Arthur Sprong (Oct 8 1901, Howard County, Indiana; died 1910),12,13,14 by whom she had two children: a son Elvin H. Sprong (1903-1903), and a daughter Geneva Sprong, who became Geneva Hinshaw.1
On Sep 12 1918 George William Hinshaw, age 45, registered for the World War I draft in Portland, Multnomah County, Oregon. He declared he was born September 9th 1873, and was then residing at 1002 East Lincoln St., Portland, Oregon, a "Check Clerk" employed by "East Portland Terminal". He declared his nearest relative was his wife Gertrude of the same address. He was recorded as medium height, medium build, grey eyes, black & grey hair.7
George and family were shown in the 1920 census (Jan 6 1920), Portland, Multnomah County, Oregon:1
Hinshaw, George W., head-of-household, age 46, born in Kansas; father born in Indiana; mother born in England; owned home; occupation: clerk, R.R. office.
Hinshaw, Gertrude, wife, age 38, born in Indiana; parents born in Indiana.
, step-daughter, age 12, born in Indiana; parents born in Indiana; attended school.
George and family were shown in the 1930 census (Apr 5-7 1930), 1143 E. Taylor, Portland, Multnomah County, Oregon:2
Hinshaw, George W., head-of-household, age 56, born in Kansas; father born in Indiana; mother born in England; first married at age 41; owned home ($4000 value); radio in home; occupation: [..unclear..] track clerk, railroad; not a war veteran.
Hinshaw, Gertrude, wife, age 48, born in Indiana; parents born in Indiana; first married at age 20.
[sic], daughter, age 23, born in Indiana; parents born in Indiana; single.
Fellow, Rachel, mother-in-law, age 65, born in Indiana; parents born in Indiana; widow.
In 1937 when George received his Social Security number, he was living at 3843 S.E. Taylor, Portland, Oregon.8
Lydia died Jun 12 1965, Multnomah County, Oregon.9
In 1972 George was still living in Portland, Oregon.10
George William Hinshaw died Oct 26 1972, Multnomah County, Oregon.9,10
Social Security information for George William Hinshaw: 700-05-3056
- 1920 census, Portland, Multnomah County, Oregon; roll T625-1500, ED 73, page 5A-5B, line #50, dwelling #108, family #111.
- 1930 census, Portland, Multnomah County, Oregon; roll T626-1951, ED 298, page 3A, line #37, dwelling #53, family #64.
- The old family bible of Chester Edward Hinshaw, containing family
lineage information recorded by Rosina Harriet Hinshaw,
contributed by Marion Hinshaw and Heather Hinshaw-Tomas.
- 1880 census, Sterling Township, Rice County, Kansas; roll T9-0394, ED 275, page 181A, line #43, dwelling #8, family #8.
- 1900 census, Marion Precinct, Marion County, Oregon; roll T623-1348, ED 141, page 9B, line #72, dwelling #186, family #191.
- 1910 census, Marion Precinct, Marion County, Oregon; roll T624-1284, ED 215, page 2B, line #59, family #37.
- World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Contribution from Barb Roberts citing:
Social Security Administration form SS5 report on George W. Hinshaw.
- Oregon Death Index, 1903-1970; Ancestry.com.
- "Social Security Death Index" (as it is commonly called), derived from
the Social Security Administration "Death Master File".
- California, Voter Registers, 1866-1898; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Indiana Marriage Collection, 1800-1941; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Contribution from Linda York ().
- Ancestry family tree posted by "penwar716".
- 1900 census, Union Township, Howard County, Indiana; roll T623-377, ED 73, page 11B, line #56, dwelling #238, family #238.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2018, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]