┌── William Henshaw
┌── Horace W. Henshaw ─────┤
│ 1811-1898 │
│ └── Jerusha Brace
Byron M. Henshaw ───┤
B: 1837 │
D: 1882 │
└── Martha M. Montgomery
M: Amanda M. Teeple
├── Effie A. Henshaw (c1864-?) 1,2
M: Rosa A. Willis
├── Howard H. Henshaw 3
├── Harrie St. L. Henshaw 4
└── Edward B. Henshaw (1875-1938) 2,5
Byron M. Henshaw [ID 05999]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Born Mar 1 18372,6,7, New York2,6,7 [Ohio1,8,9].
He married Amanda M. Teeple, Nov 12 1862, at the home of Amanda's parents, Cascade, Kent County, Michigan.6,10,11,12,13,14 Amanda, daughter of Peter + Sarah Teeple, was born about 1842, Michigan.14,15 Marriage by N.K. Evarts; witnessed by Charles Maben of Paris, Mecosta County, Michigan, and by Peter Teeple of Cascade, Kent County, Michigan.14 Byron was 25 years old and Amanda was 20.14
Amanda died May 3 1865, age 23y 7d.16,17
Amanda's sister, Lettie (Teeple) Pennoyer, remembered the following in an autobiographical sketch published in "Michigan History":17
My sister Amanda and her husband Byron Henshaw visited us with their seven months old baby Effie.
Mr. and Mrs. Henshaw was a happy couple and very fond of their baby. They went from here and visited my sister Jane at Ferrysburge, from there to their home in Chicago. The next week we got a Telegram that Amanda was dead and would be brought to cascade for berial. It was something like the croup that took her off so sudden. Mr. Pennoyer took me with him to the funeral. My sister Emeline took the motherless baby.
He then married Rosa A. Willis6,10,12 [Rosaltha Adele Willis9], Dec 24 18686,10,12, Allegan County, Michigan6,10,12. Rosa, daughter of James C. Willis & Henrietta Thomas18, was born Jul 3 184418 [Jul - 18455,19, about 18421, about 18452], Ohio18.
Byron and family were shown in the 1870 census (Jul 1 1870), St. Louis, Missouri:1
Henshaw, Byron M., age 32, born in Ohio; "Baggage Agt RR"; $2000 real estate; $500 personal property.
Henshaw, Rose, age 28, born in Ohio; "keep house".
Byron was baptized (at about age 36) in 1873 in St. Louis, Missouri.6
Byron and family were shown in the 1880 census (Nov 10 1880), St. Louis, Missouri:2
Henshaw, Byron, age 43, born in New York; parents born in New York; "Genrl. Baggage Agt.".
Henshaw, Rosa, age 35, born in Ohio; father born in Pennsylvania; mother born in New York; keeping house.
, daughter, age 16, born in Illinois; father born in New York; mother born in Ohio.
, son, age 6, born in Missouri; father born in New York; mother born in Ohio; "at school".
Willis, Newton, brother-in-law, age 23, born in Ohio; father born in Pennsylvania; mother born in New York; "U.D. Railroad".
Byron M. Henshaw died Nov 24 18828,20 [Nov 12 18826], Grand Rapids, Kent County, Michigan8,20; age 458,20. Medical: Byron died from "consumption"8 (tuberculosis).
Widow Rose and son were shown in the 1900 census (Jun 2 1900), 729 Highland Ave., Kansas City, Jackson County, Missouri:5
Henshaw, Rose, head-of-household, age 54, born July 1845 in Ohio; father born in Pennsylvania; mother born in New York; widow; 4 children, 1 living; rented home.
, son, age 24, born Oct 1875 in Missouri; father born in New York; mother born in Ohio; single; occupation: dentist.
Widow Rose later lived at 520 E. 11th St., Kansas City, Missouri,21 and 800 Forest, Kansas City, Missouri.21
Rose and son were shown in the 1903 city directory of Ionia, Michigan:22
Henshaw Rose A (wid Byron M), bds 217 E Washington.
Rose was shown in the 1904 city directory of Ionia, Michigan:22
Henshaw Rose A (wid Byron M), bds e s S Jefferson l s of E Main.
Rose was shown in the 1905 city directory of Grand Rapids, Michigan:22
Henshaw Rose, bds 168 Straight.
Rosa died Jun 7 1905, Grand Rapids, Kent County, Michigan; age 60y 11m 4d.18,19
Photo: Byron M. Henshaw gravestone Oakhill Cemetery
Photo: Amanda M. Teeple gravestone Oakhill Cemetery
Photo: Rosaltha Adele Willis death certificate Kent County, Michigan
- 1870 census, St. Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri; roll M593-814, page 850, line #5, dwelling #587, family #1297.
- 1880 census, St. Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri; roll T9-0733, ED 331, page 143A-B, line #48, dwelling #61, family #85.
- 1900 census, 8th Ward, Kansas City, Jackson County, Missouri; roll T623-862, ED 72, page 2B, line #73, dwelling #24, family #36.
- Contribution from Gaill Snow () citing:
Family bible of Martha M. (Montgomery) Hinshaw.
- 1850 census, Stow Township, Summit County, Ohio; page 466B-467A, line #37, dwelling #1049, family #1068.
- Michigan Department of Communty Health; Genealogical Death Index:
- Ancestry Family Tree data "Ziebell Family Tree" posted by "LayzbellMEZ".
- "Michigan Marriages", http://www.genealogylibrary.com.
- "Michigan Marriages, 1851-1900", http://www.ancestry.com.
- Jack & Marianne Dibean () Michigan Marriages database:
- Western Michigan Genealogy Society, Kent County Marriages 1845-1929:
- Kent County, Michigan marriages, 1845-1870; USGenWeb Archives:
- 1860 census, Cascade, Kent County, Michigan; roll M653-550, page 127, line #15, dwelling #1068, family #945.
- Contribution from Anne Rahamut () citing:
"Between Hope and Fear: The Life of Lettie Teeple"; "Michigan History", vol 58, 1974, part 2, page 347.
- Michigan, Death Records, 1897-1920; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Kansas City, Missouri City Directories, 1889-91; http://www.ancestry.com.
- U.S. City Directories, 1821-1989; http://www.ancestry.com.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Sat Oct 22 10:08:51 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2017, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]