┌── Daniel Henshaw
Americus Xaverus Henshaw ───┤
B: 1847 │ ┌── Calvin Merritt
D: 1910 │ │
└── Emily Merritt ───┤
└── Mehitable Pratt
M: Annie W. Harbke
├── Louis Americus Henshaw (1875-1958) 1,2
└── Ettie Annie Henshaw (1883-1950) 1,3,4,5
Americus Xaverus Henshaw [ID 09245]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Americus Xaverus Henshaw6,7 [Xavaras Henshaw8].
Born Jul 18 1847, Adams County, Illinois.2,7,8,9,10,11,12 (Jul - 1846).3
During the Civil War, Americus served as a private in Company C, 47th Iowa Infantry.6,13 Enlisted as a private on May 7 1864, age 18. He declared his residence as Wapello, Iowa. Enlisted in Company C on Jun 4 1864; mustered out Sep 28 1864 at Davenport, Iowa. Distinguished service.14 Note: also serving in Company C, 47th Iowa Infantry, was brother Solon C. Henshaw.6,13
On Sept. 28th, 1864, Private Americus X. Henshaw was discharged in Davenport, Iowa from Co. C, 47th Regiment of Iowa Infantry Volunteers having served 100 days and reaching the expiration of his enlistment. He was described as being 18 years of age, 5 ft. 6 in. high, florid complexion, grey eyes, light hair and by occupation, when enrolled, a farmer. Discharge signed by J. F. Millar, Capt. 14th U.S. Infantry (mustering officer) and witnessed by Capt. John H. Shields, Commander, C Co.10
Americus was shown in the 1870 census at age 23 living with his parents in Wapello County, Iowa. His occupation was shown to be telegraph operator, as was his brother Daniel.7
He married Annie W. Harbke.4,15 Annie was born Sep - 1853, Illinois.3,16 (c1855).2
On May 2 1875, in Missouri, Americus X. Henshaw applied for a pension as invalid veteran of Company C, 47th Iowa Infantry.15
Americus and family were shown in the 1880 census (Jun 12 1880), Bolton Township, Cowley County, Kansas:2
Henshaw, Americus, age 32, born in Illinois; father born in Ohio; mother born in Pennsylvania; farmer.
Henshaw, Anna W, wife, age 25, born in Illinois; father born in Germany; mother born in Illinois; keeping house.
, wife, age 63, born in Pennsylvania; father born in Vermont; mother born in Massachusetts; keeping house.
Americus and family were shown in the 1900 census (Jun 11 1900), DeSoto Parish, Louisiana:3
Henshaw, A X, head-of-household, age 53, born July 1846 in Illinois; father born in Ohio; mother born in Pennsylvania; occupation: telegraph operator; rented home.
Henshaw, A W, wife, age 46, born Sep 1853 in Illinois; father born in Germany; mother born in Illinois; 3 children, 3 living.
, daughter, age 17, born Aug 1882 in Missouri; parents born in Illinois.
Americus Xaverus Henshaw died Apr 18 1910, buried Evergreen Cemetery, Kingston, Desoto Parish, Louisiana.11,12,17
On May 4 1910, in Missouri, Annie Henshaw applied for a pension as widow of Americus X. Henshaw, veteran of Company C, 47th Iowa Infantry.18
Annie and daughter were shown in the 1910 census, living in (or staying in) a rooming house in Springfield, Greene County, Missouri:19
Hinshaw, Annie W, roomer, age 55, born in Illinois; parents born in Illinois; widow; 3 children, 2 living; occupation: income.
, roomer, age 26, born in Missouri; parents born in Missouri; widow; 2 children, 2 living; occupation: income.
, roomer, age 4, born in Missouri; father born in Tennessee; mother born in Missouri.
Scott, Claude R
, roomer, age 10 months, born in Missouri; father born in Tennessee; mother born in Missouri.
Annie was shown in the 1920 census (Jan 6-7 1920), living alone at 1124 Colorado Avenue, Glenwood Springs, Garfield County, Colorado:16
Photo: Americus Xaverus Henshaw gravestone Evergreen Cemetery
Henshaw, Annie, head-of-household, age 67, born in Illinois; father born in Germany; mother born in Missouri; widow; owned home; occupation: none.
- Contribution from Donald Joseph Porter ().
- 1880 census, Bolton Township, Cowley County, Kansas; roll T9-377, ED 170, page 459D, line #31, dwelling #107, family #108-109.
- 1900 census, Ward 2, DeSoto Parish, Louisiana; roll T623-562, ED 50, page 7A, line #36, dwelling #134, family #134.
- California Death Records database; RootsWeb:
- California, Death Index, 1940-1997; http://www.ancestry.com.
- U.S. National Park Service - "Civil War Soldiers & Sailors System":
- 1870 census, Chillicothe Cass Township, Wapello County, Iowa; page 45, line #16, dwelling #4, family #4.
- 1850 census, Grant County, Wisconsin; roll M432-998, page 3, line #15, dwelling #28, family #30.
- 1860 census, Cass Township, Wapello County, Iowa; page 590B, line #9, dwelling #10, family #10.
- Contribution from Donald Joseph Porter () citing:
1864 army discharge papers for Americus Xaverus Henshaw.
- Burials in Evergreen Cemetery, Desoto Parish, Louisiana; USGenWeb Archive.
- Civil War Service Records; http://www.ancestry.com.
- American Civil War Soldiers; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Civil War Pension Index; http://www.ancestry.com.
- 1920 census, Glenwood Springs, Garfield County, Colorado; roll T625-164, ED 35, page 2B, line #62, dwelling #41, family #43.
- Contribution from Donald Joseph Porter () citing:
Deaths recorded in an old family bible.
- National Archives and Records Administration. "General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934":
"Civil War Pension Index". [database] Provo, UT: Ancestry.com, 2000.
- 1910 census, 7th Ward, Springfield, Greene County, Missouri; roll T624-782, ED 189, page 7A, line #23.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2018, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]