1. William Henshall m Margerie Gyll 2.. Thomas Henshall (?-(c1631) 3... William Henshawe (c1608-1644) +Katherine Houghton (1615-1651) 4.... Edward Henshawe (1632-?) 4.... Joshua Henshawe (1643-1717) 4.... Daniel Henshawe (1644-1732)
|William Henshawe     [ID 00186]||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view:|
(William Henshaw)    (William Henshall)    (William Hinshaw)
Born about 1608.    Christened Mar 3 1608, Walton on the Hill, Lancashire, England.13    Spelled "Henshall" in the cristening record but "Henshawe" in the marriage record.    Walton on the Hill today is a northern suburb of Liverpool.a
William was from Toxter (or Toxteth) Park, "aforesaid" (near Liverpool).4
He married Katherine Houghton, Oct 12 1630, Walton on the Hill, Lancashire, England.1,4,9,13,18,38    Marriage license issued Sep 27 1630:b "William Henshaw and Katherine Houghton, Parish of Walton, Lanc.    Bondsman, Thomas Henshaw, father of said William.    Licence to Revds. Neveil Key, Roger Tovey, and Hierom (Jerome) Orme, Clerks".
Katherine Houghton, daughter of Evan Houghton & Ellen Parker, was born in 1615, Wavertree Hall, Liverpool, Lancashire, England.78    Katherin Houghton was the only child and heir of Evan Houghton & Ellen (Parker) Ratcliff of Wartre Hall, Lancashire.1,4,9,38    Joshua Henshaw's pedigree says she was from "Wartre Hall, in Childo Parish in the County of Lancaster".4,38
William Henshawe died Jun 20 1644.1    William was killed in battle with his father-in-law, Evan Hauhton, in the Storming of Liverpool, by Prince Rupert, against King Charles I.1
William was "killed at the taking of Liverpool during the civil wars 1644".4,38    William's father-in-law Evan Houghton was also "killed at the taking of Liverpool in Lancashire by Prince Rupert, during the civil war @ 1644, where he was in prison @ 1638".4
Katherine Houghton died 1651.1,4    In 1651 a plague killed 200 persons in the Liverpool area, most being buried in Sickman's lane (now Addison street);c it seems likely that Katherine was probably a victim of this plague.d
William's children, Joshua & Daniel, were deported to New England in 1656 by the executor of their father's estate, claiming that he had sent them off to school in London where they both died of the plague.    This presumably in order to steal their inheritance.    See: The Story of Joshua and Daniel.
1. "The Hinshaw and Henshaw Families", by William Hinshaw; edited by Milo Custer; private printing, Bloomington, Illinois, 1911; Frank I. Miller Co., printers. LDS microfilm number 1402822.
4. The "New England Historical and Genealogical Register", vol 22, 1868, The New England Historical and Genealogical Society. This issue includes a complete copy of the recorded pedigree of Joshua Henshaw.
9. The "American Registry", Vol. X, pg 181, 973 US015 Vol. X in the LDS Family History Library.
13. The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS) International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Lancashire, England.
18. "Computer Printout of Walton on the Hill, Lancashire, England (1586-1746)", Marriages (Microfilm 0883843 or microfiche 6904107, document 942.72 K29PR, Batch M005451): the LDS Family History Library.
38. An article appearing in the magazine "Hobbies", February 1967, titled "At the Sign of the Crest - Henshaw Coat-of-Arms", by Hazel Karft Eilers copy supplied by Fontella Hinshaw.
78. The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS) computerized Ancestral File.
(a) a world atlas.
(b) Contribution from Truman Young () citing:
The Record Society for the Publication of Original Documents Relating to Lancashire and Cheshire, Vol 57 (1909):
Edited by Wm. Fergusson Irvine, F.S.A. (Library of Congress # DA 670 L19 R3 v.57).
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
Return to HFA Home Page
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]