1. James Henshaw (c1818-1868)
+Sarah Jane Carter (c1832-1897)
2.. Richard Henshaw (c1851-?) 1,2,3
2.. Eliza Henshaw (c1855-?) 1,2
2.. Catherine Henshaw (c1857-?) 2
2.. Samuel Henshaw (c1859-?) 1,2,3
2.. Thomas Henshaw (c1863-?) 2,3
2.. Elizabeth Henshaw (1866-1929) 2,3
2.. Lillian Henshaw (c1871-?) 3
James Henshaw [ID 03450]
||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view: |
Born about 18184, Virginia4 [Kentucky1].
He married Sarah Jane Carter, Apr 4 1850, Clay County, Missouri.4,5 Sarah was born about 18324 [18331,3,6,7], Kentucky4.
James and Sarah were shown in the 1850 census (Nov 30 1850), Fishing River Township, Clay County, Missouri:4,8
Henshaw, James, age 32, born in Virginia; merchant; $900 real estate; married within the year.
Henshaw, Sarah J., age 18, born in Kentucky; married within the year.
Lainhart, John, age 22, born in Missouri; clerk.
1 black male age 13.
Living nearby in Clay County in 1850 was the family of Francis Henshaw.10,11
James and family were shown in the 1860 census (Jun 3 1860), Fishing River Township, Clay County, Missouri:1
James Henshaw, age 41, born in Kentucky; farmer; $3000 real estate; $200 personal property.
Sarah Jane Henshaw, age 26, born in Kentucky.
Jackson Dawson, age 11, born in Missouri.
James Dawson, age 17, born in Missouri; labour.
Henry Austin, black, age 30, born in Missouri; labour.
1 black female age 27.
1 mulatto female age 3.
1 mulatto male age 1.
3 slaves total.
James Henshaw died Jan - 1868.13,14
James' death was noted in "The Liberty Tribune" (Liberty, Clay County, Missouri) on January 31, 1868:13
Judge James Henshaw, one of the Clay County Court Judges, died at his residence a few days since.
In 1868 probate proceedings were recorded in the Probate Court of Clay County, Missouri for the estate of James Henshaw; executors Sarah Jane Henshaw & Thomas Field; Widow Sarah Jane Henshaw and six children, heirs.14 In 1871 proceedings for the guardianship of children Richard, Eliza, Samuel, Thomas and Catherine were filed in Clay County, Missouri, for the estate of "Henshaw, James, deceased".14
Widow Sarah and children were shown in the 1870 census (Sep 5 1870), living (or staying) in a hotel run by a Waldo Anthony in Missouri City, Clay County, Missouri:2
Anthony, Waldo J., age 38, born in Tennessee; prop. hotel; $3000 real estate; $2000 personal property.
Anthony [sic], Sarah J., age 37, born in Kentucky; landlady.
[... additional hotel guests ...]
Sarah apparently divorced Waldo Anthony and again adopted the Henshaw name.3
In 1877 Mrs. S.J. Henshaw was included in a list of "Patrons of the Atlas, 1877", Clay County, Missouri. She was shown as a resident of Missouri City, but a native of Sumner County, Tennessee, having arrived in Missouri in 1839.15
Sarah and family were shown in the 1880 census (Jun 15 1880), Missouri City, Fishing River Township, Clay County, Missouri:3
Henshaw, S. J., age 46, born in Kentucky; parents born in Virginia; divorced; keeping house.
, son, age 28, born in Missouri; father born in Virginia; mother born in Kentucky; livery [..unclear..] stable.
, son, age 18, born in Missouri; father born in Virginia; mother born in Kentucky; "ck in drug store".
, son, age 16, born in Missouri; father born in Virginia; mother born in Kentucky; attended school.
, daughter, age 14, born in Missouri; father born in Virginia; mother born in Kentucky; attended school.
, daughter, age 9, born in Missouri; father born in Virginia; mother born in Kentucky; attended school.
Sarah died Jun 14 1897, buried Missouri City Cemetery, on the north edge of the town of Missouri City, Clay County, Missouri.6,7,16,17
See also: James Henshaw #11021
This person's ancestry is unknown!
If you know who the parents were, please
- 1860 census, Fishing River Township, Clay County, Missouri; roll M653-614, page 845, line #31, dwelling #61, family #59.
- 1870 census, Liberty P.O., Clay County, Missouri; roll M593-770, page 677, line #25, dwelling #55, family #55.
- 1880 census, Missori City, Fishing River Township, Clay County, Missouri; roll T9-0682, ED 126, page 432B, line #27, dwelling #165, family #167.
- 1850 census, Fishing River Township, Clay County, Missouri; roll M432-396, page 384B, line #35, dwelling #1264, family #1264.
- "Missouri Marriages to 1850" (www.ancestry.com).
- Missouri City Cemetery, Clay County, Missouri; USGenWeb Archives:
- 1850 census, Clay County, Missouri; page 384/766:
- 1850 Slave Schedule, Fishing River Township, Clay County, Missouri.
- 1850 census, Fishing River Township, Clay County, Missouri; roll M432-396, page 385B, line #37, dwelling #1282, family #1282.
- 1850 census, Clay County, Missouri; page 385/768:
- 1860 Slave Schedule, Fishing River Township, Clay County, Missouri.
- Deaths reported in "The Liberty Tribune"; USGenWeb Archives:
- State of Missouri, Judicial Records Database:
- "Missouri Genealogical Records & Abstracts", Vol. 4;
by Sherida K. Eddlemon; Heritage Books, 1992; citing:
"Clay County, Missouri, Patrons of the Atlas, 1877".
- Kandy Fancher Bowden database: http://www.my-ged.com/fancher/.
- "Missouri Cemetery Records", Vol. I; Heart of America Genealogical Society & Library, Inc., 1981; GS929.5 M67 in a local library.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Wed Oct 26 10:34:31 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2020, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]