┌── John Hinshaw
┌── Benjamin Hinshaw ────┤
│ 1809-1891 │
│ └── Lydia Macy
Ruth Hinshaw ──────┤
B: 1848 │ ┌── Joshua Caster
D: 1929 │ │
└── Nancy Ellen Carter ──┤
└── Elizabeth (Caster)
M: Samuel J. Spray
Ruth Hinshaw [ID 01209]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Born Feb 16 1848, Indiana.1,2,3,4
When Ruth was a child, she wanted a red dress that she had seen in town (Oskaloosa, Iowa). Her father, Benjamin, took her to town to buy the dress, shocking Ruth's mother, since red was inconsistent with the Quaker practice of plain dress.5
She married Samuel J. Spray, Dec 28 1880.1,3 Samuel, son of James Spray & Elizabeth H. Owens3, was born Oct 19 18433 [Oct - 18444], Indiana3.
Mary Elizabeth Spray, born Sep 1882, Colorado; married Loren Oscar Moon.
Ruth and family were shown in the 1900 census (Jun 4 1900), Salida, Chaffee County, Colorado:4
Spray, Samuel J., head-of-household, age 55, born Oct 1844 in Indiana; parents born in Ohio; married 20 years; [..occupation unclear..]; owned home (free).
Spray, Ruth H., wife, age 52, born Feb 1848 in Indiana; father born in North Carolina; mother's birthplace unknown; married 20 years; 3 children, 1 living.
Spray, Mary E., daughter, age 17, born Sept 1882 in Colorado; parents born in U.S.; attended school 9 months
Samuel died Oct 30 1913, Colorado.3
In 1916 Ruth was living at 741 Colorado Ave., Baltimore, Maryland.6
Ruth Hinshaw died Feb 26 1929.1,3
Photo: Ruth Hinshaw
- "Webster Parry's Abstracts of Quaker Records", LDS microfilm #0367987
- U.S., Hinshaw Index to Selected Quaker Records, 1680-1940; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Ohio River Valley Families Genealogical Database: http://orvf.com.
- 1900 census, Salida, Precinct 10, Chaffee County, Colorado; roll T623-121, ED 6, page 3A, line #25, dwelling #48, family #49.
- Contribution from David & Susan (Moon) Hyde () citing:
Edwin Moon, son of Mary Spray, daughter of Ruth Hinshaw.
- William Hinshaw probate record.
- "Representative women of Colorado : a pictorial collection of the women of Colorado who have attained prominence in the social, political, professional, pioneer and club life of the state"; Denver, Colo.: J.A. Semple, 1911;
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Thu Oct 20 19:59:42 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2017, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]