┌── Joshua Henshaw
┌── James Steuben Henshaw ──┤
│ 1802-1872 │
│ └── Betsy King
George Henry Henshaw ───┤
B: 1837 │
D: 1907 │
└── Palmyra Hall
M: Nancy Amelia Howard
├── Walter George Henshaw (1869-1911) 1,2,3
├── Millie Henshaw 2
├── Howard P. Henshaw (1873-1944) 2,3
M: Minnie Minerva Ely
├── Lottie M. Henshaw (1885-1957) 2,4
└── Mamie L. Henshaw (1888-1906) 2
George Henry Henshaw [ID 05328]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Born Mar 21 18372,3,5,6,7 [about 18398], New York2,3,5,6,7 [Michigan8].
George was shown in the 1860 census (Jul 31 1860), living with his parents in Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo County, Michigan:6 George was also shown in the 1860 census (Aug 17 1860), apparently doubly-enumerated, living and working in the household of a Benjamin F. Parker in Kalamazoo County, Michigan:8
George Henshaw, age 21, born in Michigan; farm laborer.
On Aug 26 1861, at Kalamazoo, Michigan, George H. Henshaw, age 24, enlisted as a Private in Company F, 3rd Michigan Cavalry, for 3 years.9,10,11 Mustered Oct. 12, 1861. Discharged for disability at Detroit, Michigan, Jul 1 1862.9 Note that George and his brother Theodore enlisted together on the same day (Theodore was killed in action in 1862).9
He married Nancy Amelia Howard.1,3 Nancy was born Jan 13 1841, New York.3,12
On Oct 10 1879 [date unclear], George H. Henshaw applied for a pension as an invalid, veteran of Company F, 3rd Michigan Cavalry.13
George and family were shown in the 1880 census (Jun 15 1880), 198 Kalamazoo Avenue, Kalamazoo, Michigan:3
Henshaw, Geo. H., father, age 43, born in New York; parents born in New York; bookkeeping.
Henshaw, Nancy A., wife, age 39, born in New York; parents born in New York; housekeeping.
Henshaw, Walter G.
, son, age 10, born in Michigan; parents born in New York; attended school.
Nancy died Jun 13 1882, buried Jun 18 1882, Section L Lot 14 Grave 14, Riverside Cemetery, 1015 Gull Rd., Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo County, Michigan.12
He then married Minnie Minerva Ely, May 23 1883, Kalamazoo County, Michigan.2,14 Minnie, daughter of Alexander Ely & Eliza Hagerman, was born about 1858, Michigan.4,15
George Henry Henshaw died Jul 28 1907, Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo County, Michigan; age 70.1,2,7,12
After George died, in Michigan [date unclear], Minnie M. Henshaw applied for a pension as widow of veteran George H. Henshaw.13
Widow Minnie and family were shown in the 1920 census (Jan 6 1920), living in the household of her daughter Lottie in Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo County, Michigan:15
Bartels, Charles C.
, head-of-household, age 38, born in Illinois; father born in Illinois; mother born in Germany; rented home; occupation: auditor, stationary co.
Bartels, Lottie M.
, wife, age 33, born in Michigan; father born in New York; mother born in Michigan.
Henshaw, Minnie M., mother-in-law, age 62, born in Michigan; parent born in New York; widow.
Minnie died May 27 1928, Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo County, Michigan; buried May 31 1928, Section L Lot 14 Grave 12, Riverside Cemetery, 1015 Gull Rd., Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo County, Michigan.4,12
- Contribution from Kristen Wagner-Henshaw.
- Henshaw history and genealogy manuscript, original by Holmes Hart Henshaw, 1930;
updated in 1995 by Donald Craig Henshaw and others.
- 1880 census, Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo County, Michigan; roll T9-586, ED 133, page 142C, line #37, dwelling #262, family #262.
- 1850 census, Newton Township, Calhoun County, Michigan; page 457-458, line #35, dwelling #54, family #54.
- 1860 census, Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo County, Michigan; page 551, line #19, dwelling #1054, family #1054.
- Michigan, Death Records, 1897-1920; http://www.ancestry.com.
- 1860 census, Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo County, Michigan; roll M653-548, page 175, line #3, dwelling #1246, family #1234.
- Contribution from Tom Henshaw citing:
"Michigan Volunteers 1861-1865", Third Cavalry, Page 80.
- "The American Civil War Research Database", Ancestry, Inc.
- "Michigan Veterans of the Civil War": http://www.geocities.com/~micivilwar.
- Riverside Cemetery (Kalamazoo, Michigan) burials:
- National Archives and Records Administration. "General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934":
"Civil War Pension Index". [database] Provo, UT: Ancestry.com, 2000.
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Michigan.
- 1920 census, Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo County, Michigan; roll T625-775, ED 170, page 3A, line #31, dwelling #50, family #59.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Sat Oct 22 14:15:46 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2018, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]