┌── Jacob A. Hinshaw
┌── John Allen Hinshaw ────────┤
│ 1813-1851 │
│ └── Phebe Allen
Isaac S. Hinshaw ───┤
B: 1843 │ ┌── Isaac Hockett
D: 1908 │ │
└── Harriet Elizabeth Hocket ──┤
└── Sarah (Rebecca) Frazier
M: Julia Anna Smith
└── Freddie Hinshaw 1
Isaac S. Hinshaw [ID 00798]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Born Mar 11 1843, Salem, Henry County, Iowa.2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Isaac was shown in the 1870 census (Jun 12 1870), living or staying in what appears to have been a miner's camp or boarding house, Baker City, Baker County, Oregon:6
Hindshaw, John [sic] S., age 27, born in Iowa; miner.
Isaac was shown in the 1880 census (Jun 19 1880), living or staying in the household of a William & Mary Chambers, Pocahontas Precinct, Baker County, Oregon:7
Henshaw, Isaac, laborer, age 36, born in Iowa; father born in North Carolina; mother born in Indiana; single; quartz miner.
He married Julia Anna Smith, Nov 13 1888, Bakersville, Baker County, Oregon.4,9,10,11 Julia, daughter of Martin Smith, was born Feb - 1848, Iowa.1,12 Julia was the widow of J.P. Smith.1
Isaac & Anna adopted two sons.11
Isaac and son Freddy were shown in the 1900 census (Jun 23 1900), 2238 Eleventh Street, Baker City, Baker County, Oregon:8
Hinshaw, Isaac S., head-of-household, age 57, born Mch 1843 in Iowa; father born in North Carolina; mother born in Indiana; married 11 years; occupation: saddler; rented home.
Hinshaw, Freddy W., adopted son, age 17, born Dec 1882 in Oregon; father born in Indiana; mother born in Oregon; attended school 6 months.
Ruoff [unclear], Frederick L., boarder, age 41, born Sept 1858 in New York; [.. parents' birthplaces unclear ..]; single; occupation: salesman.
Julia was living (or staying) nearby in a boarding house at 2115 Tenth Street, Baker City, Baker County, Oregon:12
Hinshaw, Julia A., boarder, age 52, born Feb 1848 in Iowa; father born in Ohio; mother born in Pennsylvania; married 11 years; 1 child, none living; [.. occupation blank ..].
Isaac S. Hinshaw died Nov 8 1908, St. Elizabeth Hospital, Baker City, Baker County, Oregon; buried Nov 10 1908, Mount Hope Cemetery, Baker City, Oregon.13,14,15 Medical: Isaac died at 5:45am from acute alcoholism.14
A short biographical sketch of Isaac S. Hinshaw was published in the "Republican League Register of Oregon" (The Register Publishing Company, 1896, page 222):5
HINSHAW, I. S., of Baker City, was born in Henry County, Iowa, March 11, 1843, and has made his own way since twelve years of age. In 1866 he came to Oregon, and after working at various things embarked in cattle and horse training in Baker County, which he still carries on successfully. In 1866 he was elected Sheriff, and again in 1888, declining another nomination, but received it again in 1892. He has been a frequent member of conventions and central committees.
Another biographical sketch was published in the 1893 "An illustrated history of the state of Oregon"1 (see scan below).
Photo: Isaac S. Hinshaw biographical sketch "An illustrated history of the state of Oregon"
- "An illustrated history of the state of Oregon", Rev. H.K. Hines; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1893; http://www.ancestry.com.
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Iowa.
- "The William Wade Hinshaw Index to [Iowa] Quaker Meeting Records",
a microfiche in the LDS Family History Library.
- Family group sheets contributed by Kent Myrick ()
- Biographical sketch of Isaac S. Hinshaw; posted Apr 29 2006 by Anthony Larson () to the Hinshaw message board:
- 1870 census, Baker City P.O., Powder River Valley, Baker County, Oregon; roll M593-1285, page 34, line #29, dwelling #15, family #15.
- 1880 census, Pocahontas Precinct, Baker County, Oregon; roll T9-1080, ED 1, page 13B, line #34, dwelling #20, family #20.
- 1900 census, Baker City, Baker County, Oregon; roll T623-1345, ED 162, page 24B, line #69, dwelling #478, family #515.
- "Oregon Marriages From 1806 to 1850".
- Ricks College, "Western States Historical Marriage Records Index":
http://abish.byui.edu/specialCollections/fhc/newMarriage/searchForm.cfm (marriage book pg 57).
- The old family bible of Chester Edward Hinshaw, containing family
lineage information recorded by Rosina Harriet Hinshaw,
contributed by Marion Hinshaw and Heather Hinshaw-Tomas.
- 1900 census, Baker City, Baker County, Oregon; roll T623-1345, ED 162, page 24B, line #85, dwelling #480, family #517.
- Oregon Death Index, 1903-1970; Ancestry.com.
- Contribution from Donna (Francis) Thurman () citing:
death record of Isaac Hinshaw, son of John A. Hinshaw; Oregon State Archives, Salem, Oregon.
- Baker County, Oregon families; USGenWeb Archives:
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2017, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]